The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 18:30:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  30 year old engine - built and now rebuild done by Vallero's VW Werks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 30 year old engine - built and now rebuild done by Vallero's VW Werks  (Read 27293 times)
Neil Davies

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 22:52:12 pm »

I agree 100% with Jeff, I've learnt so much through following this thread. Please pass on our thanks to Ray for revealing his secrets to us!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
dsimas

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 21:41:23 pm »

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I just want to mention some exciting news.  Dean Kirsten came up and hung out for a few days with Ray and Tony Klink.  He is writing a two-part article on Tony's record-holding Pro Gas motor, which uses a lot of Ray's secrets and machine work.  Part One is coming out in Hot VW's April issue. 

Teaser.  There's some great stuff, lots of pictures, I think he copied my style.  ;-)

Also, there is a picture of Hugo and my husband and I on the Canada to Mexico Treffen 15 article in the same issue.  We are making smores in a camping picture and Hugo is in a picture of the group at the Golden Gate bridge. 

Tom and I raced the car on the morning of our wedding day last August, then it was *in* our wedding with all of our cars and VW friends, then we drove it on Treffen (1000 miles in a week) for our honeymoon.  Cheesy

The morning of our wedding in the pits:

That evening:

The next day:

Yeah, we are a match made in VW heaven.  Cheesy

This April issue is a keeper for us!  Smiley
dsimas

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 22:14:44 pm »

Here is a cylinder on the mandrel.  The barrel is going to be shortened by .208. Removing the fin on the bottom makes room for the case nuts or any other small obstacles on the case.

He has two cylinders cut now.  This picture shows the .060 head gasket in place and it *just* slips into the hole with zero clearance.  He can now establish the pushrod length.

They are 10.975" long after measuring everything.  In this picture, the old pushrod is below, the new one is above it.  It is now 7/16 on one end, with a straight taper to 3/8 on the small end because of clearance needed at the rocker arm end.  Large dimensions like this make an extremely stable valve train.  Aluminum is quieter because it dampens shock.  This also makes it easier on the valve train and the cam shaft.

Ray is measuring the cylinders here, checking that they are all exactly the same way after cutting. He had to do a little touch up on a couple of them.  Now he will hone them.  Within .0001 (average human hair is .0004).

Doing some fitting, it's a bit narrower so he will shorten these studs. After that he will do a valve job on the cylinder heads and start the assembly.

All 16 head studs have been shortened to accommodate the narrower combination.

We are going to have to bead blast the manifolds because these fuel stains will not come off. The clean spot is from modifying the manifold for clearance of the tin, something he always wanted to do but he's never had them off.

After:

These needs some love.  Dual 40 Webers, once dialed in decades ago, we never had to touch them.  Smiley

nicolas

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 09:53:51 am »

very nice, and i like to see how he uses 'self-made' tools on his lathe. i have learned to make some at my work, but fabbin up your own cutters and so isn't easy, but if you can do it, a lot more is possible and it works really, really well. it is a craft on its own.
Jeff68

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 20:09:47 pm »

Thanks again Dawn for sharing!  Kudos to Hot VW's for putting the engine build information that Ray had done on Tony Klink's race car! I hope the magazine continues to put this kind of material in the magazine! This information is so valuable to people who want their engine to run strong, long and trouble free!  Cool Grin .....Jeff
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 08:32:40 am »

Selling the bus?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: