The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 18:38:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350759 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Youth. When did all this change before my eyes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Youth. When did all this change before my eyes?  (Read 6449 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: December 27, 2007, 01:40:13 am »

I'm getting old. 10-15 years ago, it seems almost EVERY night (at least every other night) revolved around some VW and/or some VW related thing to do. Whether it was a bunch of us gabbing and goofing off in some parking lot, or battling to get some project done (Bryan SODA will fondly remember the weeknight we spent 6 hours trying to get his windshield in his '65  Grin), or just trying to perfect the tune on somebody's VW. It really was literally a lifestyle. In some ways, thankfully, things have changed. At least my lungs thank me now that every night isn't spent setting up a pair of Webers. Probably my brain too. But the innocence (is that really the right word?  Wink) of youth and being involved in a group of car nuts really does create a certain something that we don't appreciate until one day you realize you're older and life has dealt you a new hand.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

I think it is called marriage.  Grin

Oh, and you think it has changed now, wait till the lil one arrives. You will be trading those 911 dreams for a minivan that can corner.  Tongue

--louis
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 01:56:17 am by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
The Ideaman

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 06:26:51 am »

I think it is called marriage.  Grin

Oh, and you think it has changed now, wait till the lil one arrives. You will be trading those 911 dreams for a minivan that can corner.  Tongue

--louis
[/quote
Ain't it the truth!  Your kids will take lots of time.  I can remember hitting every show in '02, but in '04-5 the only show I went to was the Classic.  Good luck tinkering in the garage.  Wouldn't trade how my life has changed for anything. Kids are a bunch of fun. 

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 14:44:30 pm »

Tell me about it!   Sad

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 17:10:13 pm »

Lips Sealed
sheep

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 17:52:02 pm »

Yeah Jim Im sure someone on the lounge would be willing to trade their mini van for your bug.

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 18:30:17 pm »

When did it all change?

When she said, "Im pregnant"

Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 19:05:29 pm »

When did it all change?

Wink

no man, the change came 'round way before the good news. I think maturity just kind of erases some of the ink of youth's enthusiasm.
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 20:41:13 pm »

When did it all change?

Wink

no man, the change came 'round way before the good news. I think maturity just kind of erases some of the ink of youth's enthusiasm.

Jim, do what I did, get young again and get the littles ones involved in our crazyness. Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 00:47:19 am »

I'm getting old. 10-15 years ago, it seems almost EVERY night (at least every other night) revolved around some VW and/or some VW related thing to do. Whether it was a bunch of us gabbing and goofing off in some parking lot, or battling to get some project done (Bryan SODA will fondly remember the weeknight we spent 6 hours trying to get his windshield in his '65  Grin), or just trying to perfect the tune on somebody's VW. It really was literally a lifestyle. In some ways, thankfully, things have changed. At least my lungs thank me now that every night isn't spent setting up a pair of Webers. Probably my brain too. But the innocence (is that really the right word?  Wink) of youth and being involved in a group of car nuts really does create a certain something that we don't appreciate until one day you realize you're older and life has dealt you a new hand.

Well put Uncle Jim, and Glenn. I think about and remember those times daily.  Playing a very different hand now.  Make the best of it and cherish the time you get with the cars and kids.  Great approach Glenn,I hope they are excited about it.  My three aren't old enough just yet, but we've already watched Herbie a FEW times............... 
Casey

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 01:42:03 am »

I bring this up no fewer than twice a week to my wife! I'm a fairly young guy, but it definitely feels like life is haulin' ass. I started running an IV of VW's in my veins when Larry Kelley stared taking me to par races. The noise, smell of 116, and watching Dean Lowery pull the wheels in his orange and purple pro stock. I still get chills thinking about it. I sold all by BMX racing bikes (all Robinsons) to buy my first bug when I was 15(now 30). My mom followed me to make sure I got it home. It was kind of legal, I did have a drivers permit......she was close by. I also talked the local pizza joint into hiring me to work under age. You know where the $ went! As soon as I could drive that thing (62' beryl green bug with centerlines) all hell broke loose. I had 2 different VW crowds I hung with. One was on the down low, no trouble. The other, a bunch of derelicts, raising hell. Of course all my time was spent with the later. All through high school, everyday couldn't wait to get out of class, haul ass to the local shop (a buddies' dads' yard for construction comp). We would drink Natural light, listen to Easy E and pull motors, swap shit back and forth, adj valves with not a single equal length pushrod and get our JUNK ready to go to the street races. 
Holly crap!!! I need to nock this off. No wonder some of you guys write short stories on this forum. It took me forever to type this. When I read it back, it sounds like it doesn’t have a damb thing to do with the topic. I'm leavin' it though for fun.

Back on topic:
Oohhhhhhh Jim, I too am over here wondering.....will it all end when the little one is here. I built my whole house and yards around working on these bad ass little rigs! It's all my space now. Is the baby going to take over?! Will there be a Barbie Corvette where the welder used to be? I am excited to have her on the way, and now I just think about how I will be including her in my car world. Encouraging to think, as a new rig will christened, a little girl will be added to the family! I'm a little embarrassed with all the rambling, but I will leave it. Later.   Embarrassed Undecided Smiley

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 01:51:10 am »

I bring this up no fewer than twice a week to my wife! I'm a fairly young guy, but it definitely feels like life is haulin' ass. I started running an IV of VW's in my veins when Larry Kelley stared taking me to par races. The noise, smell of 116, and watching Dean Lowery pull the wheels in his orange and purple pro stock. I still get chills thinking about it. I sold all by BMX racing bikes (all Robinsons) to buy my first bug when I was 15(now 30). My mom followed me to make sure I got it home. It was kind of legal, I did have a drivers permit......she was close by. I also talked the local pizza joint into hiring me to work under age. You know where the $ went! As soon as I could drive that thing (62' beryl green bug with centerlines) all hell broke loose. I had 2 different VW crowds I hung with. One was on the down low, no trouble. The other, a bunch of derelicts, raising hell. Of course all my time was spent with the later. All through high school, everyday couldn't wait to get out of class, haul ass to the local shop (a buddies' dads' yard for construction comp). We would drink Natural light, listen to Easy E and pull motors, swap shit back and forth, adj valves with not a single equal length pushrod and get our JUNK ready to go to the street races. 
Holly crap!!! I need to nock this off. No wonder some of you guys write short stories on this forum. It took me forever to type this. When I read it back, it sounds like it doesn’t have a damb thing to do with the topic. I'm leavin' it though for fun.

Back on topic:
Oohhhhhhh Jim, I too am over here wondering.....will it all end when the little one is here. I built my whole house and yards around working on these bad ass little rigs! It's all my space now. Is the baby going to take over?! Will there be a Barbie Corvette where the welder used to be? I am excited to have her on the way, and now I just think about how I will be including her in my car world. Encouraging to think, as a new rig will christened, a little girl will be added to the family! I'm a little embarrassed with all the rambling, but I will leave it. Later.   Embarrassed Undecided Smiley

thanks for the post. I guess we're riding the same waves. I'm looking forward to fatherhood, but like you, miss the days of nothing to do but raise hell with my Bug.

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 03:10:56 am »

Fatherhood is the most rewarding and most frustrating task you guys will ever take on.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
nicolas

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 13:24:14 pm »

hey,

nothing has to change, you just grow out of it... it is not that i would not like to spend all my saturday and sunday afternoons at the skatepark and hang out with friends and do all stupid shit. but it is not what 'drives' me anymore. i still feel as pasionate about the things i do now, it is just different 'things'. and as much 'work' or 'dadycation'  Grin as it takes, you'll be fine and still will have plenty of time to work on the engine. and you can do like me, sit at the computer typing silly things with all of you and have my son sitting on my lap with me. he prefers to look at pictures though...  Undecided

anyway my main question is, what does maturity mean?
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 16:52:55 pm »

I always thought it was appropriate how similar the words "mature" and "manure" are.   Wink

Mike H.

Sven was right.
The Ideaman

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 19:45:37 pm »

Yep, the barbie bike is under the bench where the berg 5 used to sit.   

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: