The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:56:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Berg 5 mid mount question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Berg 5 mid mount question  (Read 2518 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: September 18, 2008, 17:07:32 pm »

A quick question for those that have installed a Berg 5. Is the mid mount located in the same location as the 4 speed mid mount? What I am getting at is can I use a regular 4 speed tranny to mock up the mid mount for welding to the chassis?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 17:31:36 pm »

I thought the Berg 5 was slightly longer in overall length. Don't know if that will alter the mount location on the chassis.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 23:31:25 pm »

Yes, the mount will hit in the same spot. Mark, it's longer from that spot, forward.

I also park at Nick's.
ian c

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 00:35:19 am »

http://www.cal-look.com/forum/index.php?topic=21897.0

http://www.cal-look.com/forum/index.php?topic=23151.msg239547;topicseen#msg239547

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:05:12 am »

Yes, the mount will hit in the same spot. Mark, it's longer from that spot, forward.

That is what I was thinking but was not sure. Thanks John.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 05:15:49 am »

I will have to look, but I have genuine bus rubber mounts for my Berg 5 mid mount.  I will try to get the PN off of them.  They are much more solid (higher durometer) than the Berg rubber mounts.  Steve Hollingsworth gave them to me.  They are a VW PN, that I will have to look up.  The Berg mounts are too soft.  Ask just about anybody.  If I can read the number on the mount I will post it here.  Time to go to the junk yards and look.  As near as I know they are no longer available.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 05:53:12 am »

Louis, do yourself a favor and get a couple aluminum slugs the height of the rubber. Throw the rubber in the trash. The aluminum dampens sound amazingly well. Way better than urethane, in fact. When I went the 5 speed route, I had to do this to keep it from going from 2'nd to 5'th in a speed shift due to the trans blubbering around on the mid mount, even with  the traction bar cranked way tight. Urethane helped and showed me I was on the right track, and the aluminum sollved it completely. It worked well enough for the Bergs to include the aluminum option with the mount. Simple little fix.

I also park at Nick's.
Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 08:52:03 am »

Louis, do yourself a favor and get a couple aluminum slugs the height of the rubber. Throw the rubber in the trash. The aluminum dampens sound amazingly well. Way better than urethane, in fact. When I went the 5 speed route, I had to do this to keep it from going from 2'nd to 5'th in a speed shift due to the trans blubbering around on the mid mount, even with  the traction bar cranked way tight. Urethane helped and showed me I was on the right track, and the aluminum sollved it completely. It worked well enough for the Bergs to include the aluminum option with the mount. Simple little fix.

Would adding a pad of rubber, say 3mm thick, on top of the aluminium block which would be shortened by the same amount, be a good idea to dampen noise further? There wouldn't be much deflection but just enough movement to dampen the sound. Huh

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 09:03:40 am »

I actually did try that, but made no difference. The rubber deteriorated quickly from the tight squeeze,and made no difference in sound. The aluminum is actually very quiet , it's even quieter than the urethane I tried. Much quieter, and completely solved the movement issues.

I also park at Nick's.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 12:55:17 pm »

Good info on the rubber mounts. When I order the mount I will get the aluminum slugs instead. Thanks again guys.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: