The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:14:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Louis' Manx Project
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Louis' Manx Project  (Read 103183 times)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2011, 19:59:06 pm »

Tubes  look and fit as good as any I have ever seen! Good job and it looks cool with that hard top setting on body, Kinda swoopy. could you cut it up to fit around the cage ? Anyway keep up the good work !

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2011, 00:56:35 am »

Thanks for the kind words Danny. The top will fit with the roll bar but I  can't get in the car with the top on.  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Donny B.

« Reply #272 on: September 04, 2011, 18:48:19 pm »

So have you done any more on this project or has it stalled.  Curious to see how it's coming along.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #273 on: September 04, 2011, 19:17:50 pm »

Hey Donny,

Not much progress lately, been waiting for it to cool off some. I got pretty badly dehydrated working on it about a month ago made myself sick. I did get the main cage tacked together. This has been the first weekend where the heat was not triple digits but it's raining due to the tropical storm. It should be cool enough to get some progress here soon. How are things out your way. Here are a couple of more shots since my last update.

You can see I decided to go with straight top bars. I have also relocated the rear down bars, added the seat belt bar and front cross bar.

Engine mocked up so I can build the engine cage:

I am a little concerned about the clearance between the exhaust pipes and the intake manifolds. I may end up having to find some narrower intakes and have them match ported.

Also not shown are the bolt on side bars which are about half way completed.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2011, 16:31:37 pm »

Looking good Louis!  I can relate to the heat issue.  It's been a bear here in Phoenix this August with an average temp of 108.  This makes this August the hottest August on record.  It's so hot in the garage you need to start working before 6:00 and stop by 10:00, but cooler weather is coming (I hope).  We've had at least 32 days with a high temp over 110 this summer and the max was 117.  Keep up the good work.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #275 on: September 05, 2011, 16:38:18 pm »

It's insanity down in Phoenix. Luckily I've only spent the weekends down there so far, gotta finish up my engine before I move down full time. Remind me again why I'm moving there?

Sorry, back on topic. Buggy is looking great, Louis!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2011, 17:49:48 pm »

It's insanity down in Phoenix. Luckily I've only spent the weekends down there so far, gotta finish up my engine before I move down full time. Remind me again why I'm moving there?

Sorry, back on topic. Buggy is looking great, Louis!

At least you can get good Mexican there. I have not been able to stand anything here since I went out with Donny to that restaurant in Phoenix.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2011, 18:02:19 pm »

Yeah, Carlos O'briens rocks!

Louis you gotta make another run to Phoenix, but when it's cool, like in the winter time...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2011, 07:09:42 am »

Yeah...the August heat slowed me down on finishing the chop too.  Could not force myself to go out and bake nor be soaking wet to work on the car.  Will start things back up now that the night time temps are dropping.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Donny B.

« Reply #279 on: September 27, 2011, 02:17:50 am »

Rick you should be starting back up pretty soon. 

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #280 on: October 02, 2011, 22:23:07 pm »

Been a busy past couple of weekends getting the main cage and the engine cage tacked up.

A couple of the cage where I added the seat belt bar and the front cross bar:

Here are the bolt on side bars. They run outside the body:

And here is what I spent most of last and this weekend doing. I had it all tacked together last weekend. Stepped back to admire my handy work and realized one side was an inch lower than the other. #$)*&%&@#@

Tore it all apart this morning and refit everything. This time I triple checked my measurements to make sure it was all level.

The square lower tubing is 1.5" .125 and will be where I will mount a trailer hitch. That way if I decide to drive it to Big Bear next year I can pull a small trailer for extra storage.   Smiley

I still want to add some protection for the heads to the engine cage and maybe a skid plate. Other than that it is ready for some finish welding.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2011, 21:50:01 pm »

Lookin' good Louis,  I look forward to seeing it done.  I still remember when they were all over the place... a dime a dozen.  Now they are golden.  Keep up the good work!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Hotrodvw

« Reply #282 on: October 03, 2011, 22:14:22 pm »

Hey Louis...........how did them SS brake hard lines fit up for ya??

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Richyrich

« Reply #283 on: October 03, 2011, 23:54:58 pm »

Nice work, love this Build not long to go now Louis keep it up..
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2011, 01:29:17 am »

Hey Louis...........how did them SS brake hard lines fit up for ya??

I will let you know as soon as I install them.  Embarrassed 

I may need to have some more made since I switched to rear discs. I still have not decided how to mount the lines with the calipers.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Hotrodvw

« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2011, 01:34:38 am »

Simply eliminate the tube that runs down the axle tube.     Replace it with a flexible hose.  I can build SS braided flex hoses as well.  I can build the hoses to fit up properly to the tube end.  I just need to know what the caliper port is. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2011, 01:56:07 am »

Okay I will get up with you when I get to that point. Probably not till after the first of the year.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zündfunke

« Reply #287 on: October 07, 2011, 13:10:13 pm »

Nice project! Don´t stop updating!

What´s the wheel size (width, ET) and what tires are mounted.

Did you go for the mentioned:
"(2 14x6s & 2 15x8.5s) and I am looking at 205/70R14s (same height as 165/15s but wider) & 235/70R15s BFGs w/ raised white letters front and back. "
Huh

Wondering what I could fit on my dune buggy... Undecided

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 13:17:00 pm by Zündfunke » Logged

BURN OUT Syndrom
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #288 on: October 07, 2011, 13:34:20 pm »

Hi,

I did go with the 14X6 & 15X8.5s and my tires are 225R75X14s front and 235R70X15s rear. Depending on how that setup works off road I may switch out to a 15x6 front and go with a 29" front/30" rear combo. I fond it difficult to get a 14" AT tire but if your going to run street tires that should not be an issue.

thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zündfunke

« Reply #289 on: October 07, 2011, 15:24:43 pm »

Thanks for the input Louis. There's not much info you can find about rims and tires on a Buggy.

BURN OUT Syndrom
Wout

« Reply #290 on: April 29, 2012, 18:31:44 pm »

Hey Louis

Is your Manx ready?

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2012, 15:58:11 pm »

No it is still in hibernation. I promised my better half we would do some home renovations this year so not much money to make any progress with. Hopefully I will be able to get back to it next winter. I am thinking of sending the engine off and have someone else assemble the 1967 in the fall. I just have not decided who to send it to yet.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Wout

« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2012, 19:34:52 pm »

Good luck!

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
Donny B.

« Reply #293 on: October 29, 2012, 13:42:46 pm »

Any updates Louis?  Time to get back into the project...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2012, 15:16:16 pm »

Hi Donny,

I hate to say it but I had to let this one go. I couldn't get any motivation for the last year to go out and work on it so I decided it was time to pass it on to someone who would finish it. A guy in my local club bought it and already has the chassis finished and the body in the paint shop. I still have the 74x92 motor w/ Denham heads for the Manx but I have not decided what to do with it yet. Sell it or store it until I get the itch for another VW.

I have also gotten frustrated with VWs in general, the poor quality of parts, the cost and hassle of shipping things across the country, the lack of local resources like a decent machine shop, etc. (I don't see how you guys overseas do it.) I have come to the realization that I just don't have the time to rebuild a car from the ground up right now so I am taking a break from cars for a while. About the closest I have come is looking at some '50s and '60s pickups as a daily driver.  I have been spending what little free time I do have getting some stuff done around the house. (new floors, remolded bathroom, general repairs, etc) I am also in the process of job hunting which may require me to relocate. (I have actually applied for a couple jobs out your way in Tempe.) Once that is out of the way and we pay off a few more bills I will look into another older car though I don't know if it will be another VW. Hope all is well with you.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

air-t25

« Reply #295 on: November 03, 2012, 21:25:20 pm »

Very nice project,keep up the good work!
beetletom

« Reply #296 on: November 04, 2012, 17:38:09 pm »

thats a shame, was looking forward to seeing this finished!
Donny B.

« Reply #297 on: November 13, 2012, 14:56:19 pm »

I can understand the frustration, but don't give up.  Just take some time off.  You still have a rust free '66 don't you?

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: