Fitting a Traction Bar? How To?

(1/6) > >>

Deanodynosaurs:
I've recently brought a traction bar, but unfortunately there’s no fitting instructions!  I did think it would be fairly straight forward, however it appears not to be!!  ::)

Am I right in thinking that the hanger brackets bolt to the front (closest to the front of the car) bumper hanger bolt holes? Also where does the bar sit across the bottom of the engine?

To make this a bit clearer, I've robbed this picture of the internet! Does the bar sit on the raised bit of ali to the right of the front pressure relief screw? (top of picture, below pump cover)

If so this seems to be quite a bit back from the hangers, meaning that the threaded bar would be at quite an angle? Is there a risk it might slip off?

Any advice would be much appreciated? ???
Any photo of one fitted would be even better!  :)

Oh, by the way it’s for a 58 bug, which has had the engine changed to a later 61 engine (1200 single relief) and gearbox if that’s important!

Cheers in advance! :)

Dude  8)

Turbo_Rich:
Hey Dude hope all is well? I made my own traction bar but will try and help- yes the bar fits under the engine case as you mentioned (the almost white bit on your picture) it should not be at an angle but straight so that it stops the downward force. Im not sure what they supply in terms of fittings but I would make sure it all lines up straight and true to sit under the engine and not on the bumper brackets.

I'm sure someone will have a pic/better explanation but hope that helps!

Lids:
i'm not sure of the brand, but there is one type that has the hanger bolted to the bumper mounts, i have it on mine and its really good.  Its an L shape that follows the contour of the bumper hanger.  It has a hole drilled into it which a threaded bolt drops down into and then you screw the engine support bar to it.

Right found it: Bugpack, here's the link: http://www.bugpack.com/content.php?id=597

Brother Lovedub:
Hopefully you'll get the idea from these photos.  I'm not sure the brackets shown in your photo are the bumper mount type.  To get a vertical alignment I had to mount through my inner wings and bolt them up in the engine bay

Deanodynosaurs:
Cheers everyone!  It's a lot clearer now!  :)

Thanks for the photos Brother Lovedub, i get where it mounted now! I thought the kit i had was a straight bolt on, but now I realise the threaded bar needes to be verticle so that it does what it meant to.

Thats cool for my daily 58 as I don't mind drilling it, but it actually gonna be a bit of the problem on my project 58 (yes i have 2!), as I was hoping to fit the hi-pac access panels. I probably scratch make a bracket that bolts to the bumper mounts or summut which comes further back.

Anyway cheers again all!  :)

Dude   8)

P.S Hello Rich, hope all's well mate!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page