The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:42:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project `55
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Project `55  (Read 142216 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2009, 09:20:13 am »

Whats the limits of a t1 irs box & cv`s / shafts?
When the Fastback (remember that car? It's that 'urgent project' gathering dust in your garage) was first out, I broke an output shaft on the IRS box very quickly. That's the weak point, more than the axles or CVs.
No Mercy used a T1 box with 930 CVs, Durablu axles etc – never broke an axle or a CV in my four years, and I don't think anybody did since.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
kev d

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2009, 12:08:17 pm »

What output shafts are the ones to go for?
Do you change the input shafts in the hubs to match up to 930 cv`s?

p.s. - the postie`s got something for you... Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2009, 12:48:01 pm »

The output shafts, flanges and matching outer stub axles were all from Durablu and I sourced them from, I think, McKenzies as they were popular among the off-road racers. There's a lot more available through off-road dealers as all the cars run IRS. The output shafts had Type 2 splines, while the matching flanges were specials designed to carry the larger 930 CVs.

I'll be watching the post... I'll try to get 'the goods' packaged and weighed...  Wink

Russell

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2009, 17:13:14 pm »

If your packing "the goods" for Kev, what about mine !!! and we could ship it all together Huh? Ive only been waiting about 9 months  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2009, 17:24:39 pm »

If your packing "the goods" for Kev, what about mine !!! and we could ship it all together Huh? Ive only been waiting about 9 months  Grin
Patience is a virtue... Cheesy

nicolas

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2009, 20:27:51 pm »

i have come up with a name...

the kilt!

nothing much under the 'shell' either.  Grin Grin Grin
kev d

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2009, 21:57:47 pm »

i have come up with a name...

the kilt!

nothing much under the 'shell' either.  Grin Grin Grin

Cheers mate.. Tongue
Nothing `worn` anyway... Grin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
kev d

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2009, 21:52:08 pm »

Not much progress lately but managed to do a couple of jobs..

Got a replacement rh door from VW heritage off their ebay shop, cost the same as the repair sections needed to repair the original Grin
Tickled it with the lightening stick obviously.. Wink

The steering column started off a full size late bug item, 2 hours with a hacksaw & some files and its now trimmed down to just a bearing carrier & mounting bracket.

Oh and some company called Hauser`s delivered some scaffolding today... Grin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 23:53:31 pm by kev d » Logged

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2009, 22:05:31 pm »

Making my car feel proper Lardy now, I've still got proper glass and window winders in mine!

Keep up the good work!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
kev d

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2009, 00:22:15 am »

Making my car feel proper Lardy now, I've still got proper glass and window winders in mine!

Keep up the good work!

Good excuse to run that truck sized turbo though, eh? Wink
Cheers,
Kev

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2009, 09:30:52 am »

gone bigger than the truck sizre turbo now Wink  lol

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
kev d

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 19:24:44 pm »

Got home from the vowo show with some inspiration & a few unexpected days off Cool

Got the main cage trimmed to size & tacked together, the inner sills are going to need a bit of work but I`ve got a plan for them anyway...
I`ve removed the body again for access, next step is fab the mounting plates, tack the cage into position then fit the pedals & seat so I can work out the driving position. Once thats done the door bars & main hoop braces can go on.

My 5 stud T3 rear drums arrived from T3D too Cool
now I just need to decide what wheels I`ll bolt to them Roll Eyes

kev d

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2009, 19:29:44 pm »

Probably be a few weeks before I get back to it again.. Roll Eyes
Gives me some time to think what colour it`ll go though Grin

ESH

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2009, 19:11:41 pm »

... Gives me some time to think what colour it`ll go though ...

How about white with a red racing stripe from front to back and one up the b pillars and over the roof?  Tongue  Smiley
kev d

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2009, 09:21:16 am »

Tongue Wink

Russell

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2009, 20:08:05 pm »

you should make it a proper hairdressers car and get the roof cut off or at least a chop !!!!!  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
kev d

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2009, 20:17:27 pm »

Its been a while since the last update but heres some pics to prove I`ve not forgotten about it Wink

First thing was the heater channels, I always had an idea for them but its worked out exactly as I`d hoped Cool
I`ve narrowed them approx 2.5" and widened the `pan to suit. I always wanted to build it as a cage / pan with the body dropped on last, doing this meant there was less width inside for the cage - not a problem on the L/H side but did`nt leave enough room to fit a door bar around the seat.
I had a pair of c-sections folded up which start on the top edge & come around to the outer sill flange, I`ll fit captive nuts into the underside which bolt through the `pan extensions.
The sill bars now sit snugly along the inner sill & the door brace clears the seat. Grin

richie

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2009, 20:24:33 pm »

Is it finished yet? Shocked

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
kev d

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2009, 20:39:05 pm »

With the body fitted again I`ve been able to tack the cage into the final position, the B-post hoop & roof hoop fitted back in no problem, I just needed to make the base plates to fit it to.
I`ve got the rear diagonals & harness bar in place as well, with the kirkey seat blocked into position & pedals fitted it felt fairly comfortable Shocked

What did`nt work was the front A-post bars.. basically I made an arse of them Roll Eyes
The do fit well as beam - dash bar connectors though so all not lost!
I`ve now run out of tubing so a call to Housers tomorow is on the cards...

Otherwise I`ve collected some bits, dropped front spindles, 4.5" & 5.5" BRM`s and a `built` 091 gearbox with all the right bits including gearing for a turbo motor & MSE nosecone Grin

If you see someone at SCC taking lots of race car pics it`ll be me Wink

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2009, 20:40:08 pm »

Nice work Kev, like the sill's simple solution to the problem  Cool
Missed the thead on your car so far somehow flow under my radar , but im a likein what I see  Smiley

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2009, 20:43:38 pm »

Is it finished yet? Shocked

cheers richie,uk

Closer... Wink

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2009, 09:53:37 am »

these things take time.

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2009, 13:16:19 pm »

Is it finished yet?

fahrvergnugen

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2009, 20:36:22 pm »

Love this mod. good thinking, someone did this before or is it your idea?

Paul.

kev d

« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2009, 20:37:32 pm »

Is it finished yet?

Nah, next time I`ll buy a finished running car, they only take 12 months to get done.. Tongue

kev d

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2009, 20:40:32 pm »

Paul.

Missing a bit of text matey! Grin

fahrvergnugen

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2009, 09:25:59 am »

Paul.

Missing a bit of text matey! Grin

I Mean the special channels Embarrassed

kev d

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2009, 13:44:21 pm »

Thanks Paul Smiley

Its my idea but its probably been done before, its just a neater / stronger version of the hacked out heater channels on a lot of the old gassers.

Cheers,
Kev

kev d

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2009, 13:26:55 pm »

Decided to do a bit of bodywork while I was waiting for additional cage peices to arrive from Houser`s Smiley
I`ve stripped the paint off all the outer panels & it looks a whole lot better, it`s been a long time since this car had a shine Grin

Started on some of the bigger dents too, I`ve got a single side spot welder / dent puller & its brilliant for pulling dents on double skinned areas, (not that I`ve got many of those...), start on the lowest spot in the damaged area and work out using a body file to show the low areas.
It also lets you keep strain on while working stretched areas with the hammer & dolly.

kev d

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2009, 13:34:01 pm »

The drivers door I got off ebay is completely rust free but covered in dents, looked even worse with the paint & filler stripped off Roll Eyes
1/2 hr & a dozen copper `nails` later & its ready for a rub with the body file & a skim of filler.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: