The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 23:23:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350707 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The VolksWorld February 2007 California Look Issue!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The VolksWorld February 2007 California Look Issue!  (Read 28976 times)
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2006, 15:05:34 pm »

Its on andys new motor, don't now why pic is not showing, its linked to your blog.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Peter Roberts

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2006, 15:46:53 pm »

One of these you mean  Wink

It's just a better pickup ( and probably used more with a dry sump set up ) , and saves having the tube extension , and risking it coming loose in the case . It feeds into the other side of the pump  . It was on the engine when we bought it from Adam Sheard , and seems to work , so I've just cleaned it and put it back on .

I haven't got one for the other engines , if they weren't ridiculously expensive , I would use one on all the engines I build , I am waiting to find out how much they are .

« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 15:49:32 pm by Peter Roberts » Logged
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2006, 16:07:52 pm »

Thanks Pete, that's what i thought.  Did it need a special pump or cover?  There are no links on the auto-craft website for this pick up.  Other than a brief mention.

"Auto-Craft Dry Sump Pump with Pick-up
Without a doubt, Auto-Craft manufactures one of the leading VW dry sump oil pump and pick-up on the market today. Available in two and three stages, these pumps are machined from aircraft quality billet aluminum and hard anodized to eliminate wear. Each body section is located with dowel pins and is individually sealed with O-rings. The pump uses OEM quality gears keyed to shafts fully suspended in needle bearings. High nickel alloy shafts, bearings, and seal assemblies are retained by spirol locks. Pump comes with or without fuel pump drive. The oil pick-up is externally located. Made from cast aluminum, the pick-up features a removable screen for easy cleaning. Stainless tubing routes incoming oil directly to the pump, bypassing case passages."

$525!!!

http://www.autocraftengines.com/oil.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 16:11:55 pm by lids_2001 » Logged

Peter Roberts

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2006, 16:40:51 pm »

It is only the pickup on Andy's engine , feeding into the side of the Berg Relief cover , that the cap-screw bolt that holds the spring and ball bearing , goes into . He is just using a 30mm Berg pump , I have had no problem with these .

Dry sumping , is the cure to a lot of problems , but an awful lot to go to , for a street car .

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2006, 16:49:36 pm »

Yeah i have been running a berg pump for years, no probs.

Always fancied dry sumping, but was always put off by the total cost and extra set up required.

Have you contacted Autocraft regarding the pick up?

Peter Roberts

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2006, 16:53:23 pm »

I also have had to come up with a way of bracing the frame forks , as you cannot use a traction bar on a Ghia , and the Torque Bar set-up doesn't stop wheel-hop . Hopefully the mounting that I have come up with , will work .

Hey Russell , here is a couple of pic's of the system that I have been working on , with Randy , over Christmas . I have made this one on Paul Taylor's Low-light , which at the mo has a 130hp 1776 in it , so if it still wheel-hops with that , I'll have to re-think it , it seems pretty good though , if you jack the car up under the gearbox yoke , the gearbox doesn't move , if I wedge my finger between the bell housing and the bodywork , it doesn't pinch my finger at all , so fingers crossed .

Peter Roberts

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2006, 16:54:57 pm »

Yeah i have been running a berg pump for years, no probs.

Always fancied dry sumping, but was always put off by the total cost and extra set up required.

Have you contacted Autocraft regarding the pick up?

No , I'm leaving that to Paul ( VW Speedshop ) , as there is a load of Autocraft stuff I am ordering , 15 of their bolt on hub pulleys with normal and dry sump size pulley wheels , plus other bit's and bobs .
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 16:56:34 pm by Peter Roberts » Logged
Mark Cross

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2006, 17:10:54 pm »

It's just a better pickup ( and probably used more with a dry sump set up ) , and saves having the tube extension , and risking it coming loose in the case . It feeds into the other side of the pump  . It was on the engine when we bought it from Adam Sheard , and seems to work , so I've just cleaned it and put it back on .

I haven't got one for the other engines , if they weren't ridiculously expensive , I would use one on all the engines I build , I am waiting to find out how much they are .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=237131

Peter Roberts

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2006, 17:16:25 pm »

Happy New Year Mark !!! Grin
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2006, 17:46:25 pm »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=237131

Thanks for the heads up, cheap with current exchange rate.

Russell

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2006, 19:18:07 pm »

Pete

Is that car painted in VW ultra maroon metallic ?

Ill have a look at the gearbox of the race shop ghia and see what was done there, nothing as fancy as your job i think !

And a happy new year, got you PM and all i can say is "£$%^&* Drivers !

Best Regards

Russell
H67bug

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2007, 12:01:25 pm »

Got mag yesterday! (must check post box more regulalry).. great cars! Cheesy

2007 will be a truly awesome Cal Look year in the UK if all the cars are up and running that are planned! Smiley
Peter Roberts

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2007, 12:23:19 pm »

Pete

It is a VW colour , on MK4 GTI's I think , I'll ask Simon , or he may chime in , but it is a lovely colour on a BUg , it works well , and looks ' bling ', but tough at the same time .

67Screamer

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2007, 17:26:35 pm »

Pete

It is a VW colour , on MK4 GTI's I think , I'll ask Simon , or he may chime in , but it is a lovely colour on a BUg , it works well , and looks ' bling ', but tough at the same time .

Anthracite metalic grey, as found on Mk4 Golf's. Picked the colour after my Mk4 Golf GTI turbo bollard distroyer.  Wink
Russell

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2007, 18:22:49 pm »

Pete

Im only taking the Gates car to volksworld show, the rest are being saved for EBI, so its easy for me this year.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Peter Roberts

« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2007, 19:05:56 pm »

Yeah , but that's enough cleaning for any man , that'll keep you busy till the show , you'll have shares in Meguires by the end , ha ha !!

Peter Roberts

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2007, 19:20:19 pm »

2007 will be a truly awesome Cal Look year in the UK if all the cars are up and running that are planned! Smiley

Yes , there should be 8 club cars running 12's , and the rest in the 13's & 14's , which will be awesome , with some slightly slower cruising speeds to shows , especially with Simons 1.26 4th gear  Shocked

Still at least he won't be going fast enough to spill his cider  Cool

I think it would be great to drive to Camberg , get ignored by the buffers , then drive down to Bug In , how cool would that be , the ultimate Cal-Look week !!

I'm also really looking forward to The Club Display at the VolksWorld show , the VolksWorld crew have been great to us ( JG54 ) with the club feature and mentions in the mag , their support is greatly appreciated , and it inspires me to help put together the best display we can for their show , which is after all THE Premier static VW show  Grin

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 19:28:29 pm by Peter Roberts » Logged
H67bug

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2007, 19:23:45 pm »

Smiley... let's hope the stars align for us and the sun keeps shining! I am getting my speedo recalibrated to say 90mph @ 55 mph so I notice the slow crusiing speed less!  Tongue
67Screamer

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2007, 19:30:38 pm »

Yes , there should be 8 club cars running 12's , and the rest in the 13's & 14's , which will be awesome , with some slightly slower cruising speeds to shows , especially with Simons 1.26 4th gear  Shocked

Still at least he won't be going fast enough to spill his cider  Cool

I think it would be great to drive to Camberg , get ignored by the buffers , then drive down to Bug In , how cool would that be , the ultimate Cal-Look week !!

I'm also really looking forward to The Club Display at the VolksWorld show , the VolksWorld crew have been great to us ( JG54 ) with the club feature and mentions in the mag , their support is greatly appreciated , and it inspires me to help put together the best display we can for their show , which is after all THE Premier static VW show  Grin

Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: