The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:35:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Engine diapers/trays Oil downs and solutions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Engine diapers/trays Oil downs and solutions  (Read 21538 times)
richie

« on: June 09, 2014, 21:55:11 pm »

With the issues this weekend with the long amount of time lost due to mainly oil downs we need to be more conscious of our own cars, I have made a few different oil trays now and they don't need to be expensive or complicated, with one on Tar babe and Jo's red car this weekend we knew if we had an issue we wouldn't be the ones spoiling the racing for others.

On Jo's car it hooks around the gearbox mount at the front and bolts to the traction bar drop arms at the back, we have run this for 4 years and thankfully never had to need it, on Tar babe is even simpler and just hooks up with springs which wrap around the gearbox mount and traction bar, but can even wrap round the header and takes less than 2 minutes to fit

Both of these would work on a street car or race car just as well.

Some events/tracks already require them for various classes and with the disaster that was the Oil down from the Renault sunday morning it will become more likely to become compulsory everywhere sooner rather than later.
I wasn't even racing and I was pissed off with all the time lost due to some selfish individual who still drove down the whole track and shut down area even though it broke after about 200ft

cheers Richie

If anyone is interested in making something I will put a couple of pics up of what I have done or there is a company called FTD in the states that makes custom diapers to your engine which aren't expensive, but are really more suited to a race only engine as they retain the ehat more

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
leec

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 22:05:02 pm »

Hi Richie,
I was looking at the catch trays on Jo's car and Tar babe before the Renault went pop. They make a lot of sense. That 2.5 hours of waiting has given me massive sunburn so for that reason I think they should be mandatory Grin

Lee

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 23:10:08 pm »

Total agreement, the sunburn is reason enough  Angry
dannyboy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 23:26:11 pm »

yeah ive had one fitted to my car from when i shut the track last year for an hour  i made mine to go each side of the block but would like to take a closer look at yours as it looked a better design than mine so pics would be great

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Basti

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:31:39 am »

I use the one from FTD and can post picture later.
A really good product....

I just had a crank bearing broken and the oil came out of the clutch area,
which couldnt be taken by the oil tray....;-(

Cheers,
Basti

- black 62 cal look beetle
- Pro Mod Race car
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 08:01:58 am »

With the issues this weekend with the long amount of time lost due to mainly oil downs we need to be more conscious of our own cars, I have made a few different oil trays now and they don't need to be expensive or complicated, with one on Tar babe and Jo's red car this weekend we knew if we had an issue we wouldn't be the ones spoiling the racing for others.

On Jo's car it hooks around the gearbox mount at the front and bolts to the traction bar drop arms at the back, we have run this for 4 years and thankfully never had to need it, on Tar babe is even simpler and just hooks up with springs which wrap around the gearbox mount and traction bar, but can even wrap round the header and takes less than 2 minutes to fit

Both of these would work on a street car or race car just as well.

Some events/tracks already require them for various classes and with the disaster that was the Oil down from the Renault sunday morning it will become more likely to become compulsory everywhere sooner rather than later.
I wasn't even racing and I was pissed off with all the time lost due to some selfish individual who still drove down the whole track and shut down area even though it broke after about 200ft

cheers Richie

If anyone is interested in making something I will put a couple of pics up of what I have done or there is a company called FTD in the states that makes custom diapers to your engine which aren't expensive, but are really more suited to a race only engine as they retain the ehat more

would be interested in seeing some photos please

regards Ron

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
richie

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:03:23 am »

I use the one from FTD and can post picture later.
A really good product....

I just had a crank bearing broken and the oil came out of the clutch area,
which couldnt be taken by the oil tray....;-(

Cheers,
Basti

We were discussing adding a trans tray as well at the weekend, I am going to add one to the new cabrio as it has a habit of burping a tiny amount of oil from the breather on a hot day and twice the track crew has seen a drip after the burnout and stopped me running

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:04:45 am »

I got to check the valves etc on Jo's car today so will take some pics while I am under there and put them up

cheers Richie

dannyboy

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:40 am »

makes you feel sick when you are the reason a couple of hundred racers cant race for an hour or so....
a good fire in the fireup lane is a good conversation piece though and doesent shut the track ..... its more like waiting on the jet car  Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
richie

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:29:53 am »

It doesn't need to be complicated, this goes from valve cover to valve cover, and from pulley to flywheel, has a 2inch lip all round as is required in some USA race classes, and is lined with fire resistant absorbant material to catch any mishaps!!!!

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:12 am »

makes you feel sick when you are the reason a couple of hundred racers cant race for an hour or so....
a good fire in the fireup lane is a good conversation piece though and doesent shut the track ..... its more like waiting on the jet car  Cheesy

Totally, I don't want to be that person, of course good quality hoses and connections help Tongue Shocked Grin

leec

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 16:14:19 pm »

Totally, I don't want to be that person, of course good quality hoses and connections help Tongue Shocked Grin

And the hoses the right way round Grin
JS

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 18:41:13 pm »

I need to make a new one for this season, so every pic of what you guys have made for inspiration is greatly appreciated!

Signature.
spanners

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 23:02:37 pm »

[attachment=1

Best regards, spanners.
spanners

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 23:15:35 pm »

Amazing, it suddenly decided to attach, but here is my full under tray/diffusor, you could turn a required add on into a similar construction, less drag, more speed and downforce, also a noise reduction was an extra bonus, static tests at 102 db, drive by is only 98db, well under the required specs for circuit racing, the con is the car is harder to handle/maintenance wise, but it all comes off quickly for service, this is a mk 1 and developing all the time, no use ripping it off on track side kerbs, so even driving style needs consideration, but the car is going ever quicker with it, the front end needs up dating now, plus I don't get oil downs on my back tyres or the track surface. Regards, Spanner.

Best regards, spanners.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:05 am »

It doesn't need to be complicated, this goes from valve cover to valve cover, and from pulley to flywheel, has a 2inch lip all round as is required in some USA race classes, and is lined with fire resistant absorbant material to catch any mishaps!!!!

cheers Richie

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
richie

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 09:32:45 am »

cheers Richie

Is that your personal choice when you drive the Hunsaker car?  Grin 

cheers Richie

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 09:35:02 am »

Yeah, I think they're issued to all the team these days..  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
steve_pugh

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 16:32:25 pm »

I was having a similar chat at shakey and ended up strapping a microfiber cloth between the solid mount and bellhousing. 

But for me the tray on Jo's car won't work as I have a removable rear end and there is no strength to hang a traction bar.    Perhaps a bracket that bolted to the solid mount and to the exhaust bolts?

Common leaks are pushrod tubes, valve covers and rear oil seals/back of engine.

I for one don't want I be the cause of a track closure but with a beetle it's inevitable that I may end up with a drip or leak from time to time.   

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 17:34:23 pm »

Making a tray that works take some cardboard, tape, a knife and a couple of minutes. Then you copy it by bending some thin plate. All in all about two hours of work. A lot less compared to what it takes to clean up the mess after you on the track. I personally would like to see a rule that says that flat 4 engines are not allowed on the track without one.

-BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
richie

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 18:03:50 pm »

Steve

that's why we use springs wrapped around the header on some cars and on cars that you cant use that method like my old cabrio I have tabs up from the tray that go up to the type 3/bus mount/threads on the case

Kalle,

why discriminate against flat 4 engines? everyone should have one, I never understood the 11.50 cut off at SCC, I would guess its the slower cars that cause more of the stoppages

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 18:47:48 pm »

Steve

Like this, at the front I drilled to holes in the solid mount and had 2 quick release pins in there to fix it on

cheers richie

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 18:56:27 pm »

Kalle,

why discriminate against flat 4 engines? everyone should have one, I never understood the 11.50 cut off at SCC, I would guess its the slower cars that cause more of the stoppages

cheers Richie

Because we leak more than the others. The 11.49 cut off is common for most races in the Nordics but I agree, every car no matter ET should have one.

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
steve_pugh

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 21:56:44 pm »

Steve

Like this, at the front I drilled to holes in the solid mount and had 2 quick release pins in there to fix it on

cheers richie

That is what I need.   Lucky for me I have bus/type3 mounting holes. 
Are these something you sell?  Or would it be easy to make.   I can bend it but then sticking the tabs. I can't weld Ali. 
Would you just use double sided tape as it's so thin?

leec

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 22:56:08 pm »

Rivet or but and bolt them on?
richie

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 07:13:51 am »

Rivet or but and bolt them on?

Steve as Lee put, that is the simplest way and has stood up well

I have thought about making some, I got a shear/guillotine and a brake/folder now so would be neater and easier, those were just done in a vice

\cheers Richie

Eddie DVK

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 07:20:43 am »

Do they not influence the handling of the car?

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
richie

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 07:28:49 am »

Do they not influence the handling of the car?

Hi Eddie

Not that I have noticed but my cars dont go straight anyway Cheesy  I think oil under the tyres would influence the handling more Wink

cheers Richie

Basti

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 07:18:57 am »

Here is what I use from FTD...

Cheers,
Basti

- black 62 cal look beetle
- Pro Mod Race car
richie

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 08:24:44 am »

Here's a link to FTD for anyone interested

http://www.fasttimedesign.com/

cheers Richie

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: