The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:03:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  New motor build questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New motor build questions  (Read 1925 times)
Mike P

« on: December 22, 2016, 02:37:50 am »

Well after about a 15 year break from the VW scene I've jumped back in with both feet.  I'm currently building a 2007 for a notchback, basic specs are new wedgemated Scat crank, flywheel and 5.4" rods, Web 86b w/ Scat 1.4:1, 9.0:1 compression, non-welded 42x37.5 heads and 44 DCNF's.  I've got 3 main questions that may open the box for more.

1. What are current options for piston rings?  The last motor I built used a Childs & Albert z-gap second ring but the only thing I'm seeing for a 90.5 piston is TotalSeal.  Should I run the TotalSeal second or is there another second ring that folks have had better results with?

2. What to do about wrist pin retainers?  Referencing the same previous motor Spiro-Loks were used but I can't seem to find them for other than JE pistons, do I use teflon buttons, the Berg style double snap rings, or is there something newer and better?

3. The new case is full flowed with plans of running a Canton filter and an aux. cooler with fan.  I figured 30mm oil pump is the standard but which pump.  Again the old motor referenced above used a 30mm cast iron pump (Melling).  Do I go with the same or use a plugged 30mm schadeck or pony up for a Berg "blue printed" pump. 

Like I stated earlier, this will all be going in a '63 notch and backing it up with a 5 speed.  The car won't be a daily driver but will be driven frequently with maybe 1 or 2 passes just to see what it can do.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and have a safe and happy holiday season.

Mike
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 16:55:39 pm »

1) I'd use stock rings
2) Berg snap rings. Buttons fill the pins with oil and trap it inside
3) 26mm pump is plenty. With a type 3 I'd get the complete FF setup from Berg, they have it designed to clear the fanshroud with very little additional clearancing needed.
4) Go 94's Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: