The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 15:31:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW Classic Parts...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: VW Classic Parts...  (Read 15074 times)
glenn

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 13:54:46 pm »

I always had to laugh when someone brought an old bus or bug into the service drive at Commonwealth VW while I was still there... the "mechanics" scattered like cockroaches exposed to bright light. Shocked

...I went to VW once to order a few parts for my '77 Golf...

First I had to teach the guy behind the counter how to search for old Golf parts in ETKA because he didn't know what was a Golf Mk1, and he didn't believe that I was still driving one and VW still had parts for it.

Then when I get out of the parts service I was caught by a salesman who wanted to offer me a few €€€s on a brand new Golf MkV if sent my car to the crusher  Roll Eyes Cheesy
I've known the GM at the local VW dealership for 15 years, so 3 years ago he called me up and says a long time customer brought in his Beetle and wanted the engine rebuilt by the dealership. Since they didn't have anyone who knew the first thing about aircooled VWs, they asked me to rebuild it. Needless to say they charged a significant amount over what I got paid for the job.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 13:56:19 pm by glenn » Logged

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 13:57:26 pm »

Following on from 'Plasticblack's' post, I think I know the independent he is referring to and they were indeed interesting times. I was involved with the company one way or the other for some time. I recall the news that contact had been made directly from VAG offering parts such as crankcases, heads etc, all at prices far below normal dealer trade price. What happened next was absurd – the independent company sold the same parts to the local VAG agent because they could supply them cheaper than VAG head office would to its own dealerships! All the local VAG dealer asked was that deliveries be made in an un-written van, so their customers would not see. VAG appeared to have no sxruples at that time.

From what i have seen of the VW Classic operation thus far, most interest has been in stuff like hubcaps, late bumpers, heads and a selection of trim parts for late models. This comprised primarily of excess stock from South America. I'd like to be proved wrong, but I cannot see VW tooling up to produce new body panels – maybe repackaging Brazilian parts, but not much else. We shall see – I'll be at Techno Classica Essen in a few days, so will see my friends from VW Wolfsburg and ask them...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 14:08:55 pm »

......"I cannot see VW tooling up to produce new body panels – maybe repackaging Brazilian parts, but not much else."

I agree... when Porsche started up their Classic parts deal in the '80's, it was oddball stuff... not the body panels and usefull parts everyone was wishing for.

DKP III
Neil Davies

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 15:51:09 pm »

......"I cannot see VW tooling up to produce new body panels – maybe repackaging Brazilian parts, but not much else."

I agree... when Porsche started up their Classic parts deal in the '80's, it was oddball stuff... not the body panels and usefull parts everyone was wishing for.

Stuff that they probably still haven't sold! I think they'll just be selling service parts at a vastly inflated rate and try to stop the likes of GSF from selling them, so you won't be able to buy genuine stuff from anyone except for VW themselves, and I can even see VW Heritage getting squeezed a bit, even though they're selling the stuff on behalf of Volkswagen!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 19:28:19 pm »

I don't think it's a bad thing that VW will start offering parts. What I fear is that most of them will be garbage. We deal with this stuff all the time in my work, especially the reproduction parts for muscle cars that have the official GM stamp of approval. They are junk just like anything else that is out there.

However, we have dealt with Mercedes Benz classic parts, and they are very, very nice. You pay for them though! I hope that VW (being German) will follow Mercedes' lead, and make quality parts, even if they are more expensive. Who knows if the market will support it though...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
glenn

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 21:14:20 pm »

However, we have dealt with Mercedes Benz classic parts, and they are very, very nice. You pay for them though! I hope that VW (being German) will follow Mercedes' lead, and make quality parts, even if they are more expensive. Who knows if the market will support it though...
I recently restored a distributor for a 68 190SL and the customer got his tuneup parts from Mercedes Classic Parts. He paid $155 for cap, rotor, points and condenser. I could of supplied the same BOSCH parts for $60 and still made a profit.

Lets hope VW doesn't markup the same.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Sarge

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 22:30:41 pm »

Dealers nowadays ALL us a price matrix to escalate prices for parts and service into the stratosphere.  No more price books... just what the computer says!! Angry

DKP III

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 09:57:26 am »

Be careful what you wish for.... Lawsuits are now going out hot and heavy to the VW aftermarket, perhaps the strongest our industry has seen yet. VW is now going after web sites that use certain words in their source code, or meta text... like Volkswagaen, VW and now V-Dub! Reps from VW Classic Parts have made the rounds here on the West Coast, many visits have been received with not exactly open arms.... These guys play for keeps.

Have they also been doing this elsewhere ?
It seems like it has only been in the U.S..
 Huh
Neil Davies

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:04 am »

Found this on another forum:
"]
Dear Customers,

We are proud to announce an improvement in supplying Volkswagen Classic Parts. As of 1st of April we are supplying our customers in the United Kingdom and Ireland with VW Classic Parts through our preferred partner VW Heritage. With VW Heritage we have managed to find a business partner with 25 years of experience in servicing classic Volkswagen. Of course our whole assortment with approximately 70000 different spare parts for air- and water-cooled models is available through our preferred partner. 
Our colleagues of VW Heritage are pleased to be at hand with help and advice in the future.

Opening Times:
Monday – Friday: 9:00 – 17:30
Saturday:                 10:00 – 16:00

Email or Phone:
Email              esales@vwheritage.com
Internet        http://www.vwheritage.com or http://www.vwh2o.com
Phone           +44 (0)845 873 8328
Fax                 +44 (0)845 873 7242

VW Heritage Parts Centre
9-11 Consort Way
Victoria Business Park
Burgess Hill
West Sussex
RH15 9TJ

Best regards
Volkswagen Classic Parts Center

So who know what parts they'll be prducing - it might just be selling on stuff that they already reproduce themselves.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
red baron

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 10:44:24 am »

I don't get why it is so new for you and for Volksworld magazine that VW has a classic shop?!

http://www.vw-classicparts.de/

They are independet of VW as far as I know and they are selling parts they bought from other dealers.
But in the last years they started to reproduce stuff, too.

I dont know if I would say that it is OEM quality because they are trying to keep the costs down,too. But they are really motivated and helpful and always try to help.

check out their website and order  Tongue

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 13:47:14 pm »

I think they will just sell through a local dealer what they are already selling here. Maybe they will add a few new products sometimes, but I don't see them producing all the different replacement parts for all vintage air and water VWs.

Lanny Hussey

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 14:57:48 pm »

CIP1, who are local to me, have been stocking quite a large amount of factory AC VW parts in the last couple of years. I'm always glad to see these parts in my shipments. I've used BJ beams, trans mounts, trans cradles, transaxles, axles, tubes, snubber perches, fulcrums, daisys,  backing plates, beautiful DP engine tin, door trim frames, running boards etc etc. All but the running boards were much nicer than previous versions. Are these parts what are being referred to as VW Classic? They sure have made my job easier. Let's hope for sheetmetal..67 rear aprons, early hoods, fenders:)

1967, the only year that matters.
red baron

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 17:41:42 pm »

I think they will just sell through a local dealer what they are already selling here. Maybe they will add a few new products sometimes, but I don't see them producing all the different replacement parts for all vintage air and water VWs.

You can order directly at VW classic parts and dont need to ask your local dealer who probably is not too interested in selling old stuff.
And afaik they are reproducing but all independent. So its not too easy for them to get the tooling and parts. But of course you may be lucky and get a brand new US-Spec FI Type1 crankcase or stuff like that.

deano

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 22:47:55 pm »

I guess, if you hang around this industry long enough, you see just about anything.... Including VW selling air-cooled VW parts? Who would have thought...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2011, 10:53:23 am »

Just onmy way back from Techno Classica Essen where I had a long meeting with the VW Classic parts guys. I have a list of the A/C parts they are currently selling. Don't get excited yet. As for new parts, they told me decisions will be based on number of vehicle registrations, so if more late-models on the road, they get the attention - was made clear it's a purely commercial venture and if suitable parts already avaable from South America then they will be offered. No plans (yet) to remake panels like early heater channels as tooling costs too high.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: