The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:20:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  OCIR - October 30, 1983
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: OCIR - October 30, 1983  (Read 2400 times)
Stephan S

« on: October 31, 2008, 18:54:38 pm »

... this is the date OCIR went out of business. That's 25 years ago.
Here is a cool link: http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8316&Itemid=6

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 20:24:41 pm »

he had a last drag race at ocir like the one at lions Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 23:42:54 pm »

Yep... I was there, that night. Still have a t-shirt, a O.C.I.R. license plate frame, and a few O.C.I.R. stickers that I bought from them, right before I sadly left.

We all drove our own cars. When they finally kicked us out... we all ventured to the vast grassy field, where we parked. Nothing was said prior to getting in our cars. Soon as we warmed up the engines for a short while, our group thought it was more than fitting to engage in doing donuts, burn-outs, and four wheel drifts all over the field till we were threatened by the staff. Laughed our arses off and headed towards the freeway and met up elsewhere to talk about fond Orange County International Raceway memories over a few barley pops.

God, I still miss that place. Spent a lotta time there.

Sad

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
deano

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 05:15:27 am »

OCIR was so cool... I once called them during the week and asked about running a car for a feature. You know, a few runs by itself for some photos and times. They said come on down, no charge, as long as I could run the clocks! When we got there, we had the run of the entire place, including the tower. The guy shows me how to reset the clocks, and use the PA system. We ran this car, with and without NOS, and I was in the tower, and the driver staged and did his thing. We did some starting line launches and were done in a few hours. A total freebie! Same deal with the Roger Crawford wheelie-burnout at OCIR, and numerous dragster action shots. In comparision, about ten years ago, we wanted to shoot a car of Ron Lummus at Pomona, but we weren't going to start it. Just staged deal on the starting line. $1800 for three hours. If we fired the car, it was more $$$$. Impossible today.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
ESH

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

Thanks for the link!  Cool
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:08:49 am »

My last trip to OCIR was the fall BUG-IN...of 1983.  It was the last one held.  On the way home, a friend and I discussed doing an event at the new FIREBIRD INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY, in Chandler, Arizona.  January 15th, 1984, we held the first Arizona Bug-Run.  Later, I went on to start the first BUG-O-RAMA to be held in Chandler, Arizona, in March of 1985.  Everything was less expensive and less complicated back then.

The old California tracks will live on in Infamy...OCIR, LIONS, RIVERSIDE and all the rest that are no longer with us.  What an era...that set a lot of our lives in motion in this hobby.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: