The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 00:20:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Empi GT Valve Covers - problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Empi GT Valve Covers - problems  (Read 4211 times)
laurie18

« on: May 26, 2007, 19:55:06 pm »

I have finally got round to attempting to fit the GT covers to my Imp but I have come up against a problem. If I offer up the lip of the cover to the lip of the head (without the gasket in place) they line up perfectly and are the correct shape but if I look through the bolt holes in the cover the mounting bolts attached to the rocker shafts are way out. If I try to bolt the covers up there is a large gap between the lip of the cover and the head which is hard to fill with the gasket.
I have never seen or handled a pair of these covers before so I have no idea how they should be, is this normal?
Has anyone else had similar problems?
I am pretty certain they are not repros .
I am using single port 1500cc heads
Any thoughts?
laurie
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 20:12:09 pm »

if there GT's there Real No One has Recasted them Yet!!  Never Heard of that Problem on A Stock VW Head, you run in to it more with aftermarket Heads like CB's SE heads and some of the Older Performance casting Heads, do the Valve cover look like they have been welded or redrilled?   can you post a Picture of the Covers Front and Back Side I can Compare the Picture With My GT Covers

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
laurie18

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 21:08:17 pm »

Thanks Shubee,
It's raining and nearly dark here in the UK. I'll get them out of the garage and photograph them in the morning, will include some of the key measurements as well.
laurie
laurie18

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:35:29 am »

I hope the attached pictures have worked. With the two covers placed flat on the table with the finned/logo side facing up they are the same, same offset left and right for the bolt holes (approx 67mm from the bolt hole centre to the fin edge on the right and approx 74mm on the left).
They do not seem to be 'handed' - should they be?
laurie
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 17:36:59 pm »

They shouldnt be "handed". The heads are the same, so should be the valve covers...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
max, Der Bahnstormerz

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 19:23:28 pm »

You are using a big heavy grooved rubber rocker cover gasket aren't you? Not the stock cork ones.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 20:51:33 pm »

I hope the attached pictures have worked. With the two covers placed flat on the table with the finned/logo side facing up they are the same, same offset left and right for the bolt holes (approx 67mm from the bolt hole centre to the fin edge on the right and approx 74mm on the left).
They do not seem to be 'handed' - should they be?
laurie
Are the Holes to high? where are you getting the space on the Valve cover not fitting? top? bottom? Sides?? The Cover look just like Mine are you using the c channel Gaskets?

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
laurie18

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 21:07:16 pm »

The gap problem is at the sides. I am using the 'C' channel gaskets. They are not the originals but those made for the repro Empi covers which have thinner walls so the gaskets are a bit of a stretch. The rubber bolt bushes I am using may add to the problem as they are so tight they do not 'give' at all.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 21:11:05 pm »

are you useing the Original Hardware?

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 21:13:42 pm »

if you bolt them up without the gaskets how do they line up?

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
laurie18

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 07:36:02 am »

Unfortunately I have no original hardware. If I bolt them up without gaskets they are way out, I can get a scewdriver blade between the cover and the head. I am using the flanged bushes I found here in the UK, they are very tight on the bolt shaft and the hole. I think I sent you some, I guess they are not really suitable, what did you think
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 08:07:10 am »

Can you take some pics of them bolted into place without the rubber grommet and with the rubber grommet.  How much play do you have with out the rubber grommet?

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 20:36:14 pm »

The original hardware had a groove machined into the mounting stud to accomodate the seal.
If the seal you are using on the stud is "too tall" the valve cover will not seat correctly.
You can eaither have the groove macined (better sealing) or cut down the height of the seal slightly.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: