The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 22:20:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  1973 Thing For Sale
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1973 Thing For Sale  (Read 589 times)
Bryan67

« on: November 12, 2023, 01:33:44 am »

I need to get back on my 63 Bug project, so, I`ve decided to put my 73 Thing up for sale. More pictures on The Samba.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2650908

1973 Thing   Price: $34500
I`m selling my 73 Thing. It has had a full mechanical restoration. This included a 2” narrowed from beam from CB Performance with Beetle spindles, new ball joints, tie rods, an AC Industries disc brake kit, EMPI BRM wheels, General tires, KYB and Cofap shocks. For the rear end there are new brake drums and internal brake parts, new wheel bearings, CV joints and boots, braided brake hoses. As well as completely removing the old factory undercoating and seam sealer, then painting and undercoating everything clean and fresh. For the drivetrain I went with a Metalcraft Motorsports built late model Type 1 3.88 ring and pinion transaxle which included welded gear hubs and a CB superdiff. The engine is also built by Metalcraft. It consists of an aluminum engine case, 74mm forged chromoly crankshaft, AA thick wall 92mm pistons and cylinders. Mild ported AA cylinder heads with 40X35.5 valves, Engle 110 camshaft and lifters, chromoly I beam connecting rods, Manley 3/8” aluminum pushrods, a custom made 1.5” sidewinder exhaust, powder coated engine tin, an alternator, Fully rebuilt 40 Dellorto carburetors, Kennedy stage 1 clutch and a Daiken HD clutch disc, Clyde Berg oil breather box, full flow oil system with a Mesa oil cooler with steel braided lines and thermostat controlled electric fan, and a rebuilt German Bosch 009 distributor. It runs excellent, and will run at 75mph all day long. I kept the Periwinkle blue paint that the previous owner had done. But I have spent many hours polishing it out to bring it back to life. I also did a major cleanup on the engine compartment and under carriage removing the unsightly factory seam putty and the unused factory air cleaner mounts to gain clearance for the Dellorto Carbs and better access to work on the engine. And I also converted to the earlier style Type 2 taillights therefore eliminating the large unsightly late model style ones. Then proceeded to repaint the engine, rear end, and trunk compartment. The engine compartment is now clean enough to eat off of. In the trunk is a powder coated fuel tank, and fully detailed factory gas heater. The interior features a pair of custom made Cerullo bucket seats Upholstered in blue tweed fabric and black vinyl and custom made, powder coated seat mounting brackets. The original fold down back seats have matching upholstery and new foam padding. The pedal assembly has been fully rebuilt with powder coated pedals, ClasicBugParts roller gas pedal and clutch pedal extender kit. Also a rebuilt speedometer with a glass lens, chrome surrounding ring and a white painted needle which matches the VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges. A leather LeCarra steering wheel and an early Gene Berg locking shifter. Powder coated emergency brake handle, and a new cigarette light which can be used to charge your cell phone. All the lights work, as well as the new Hella German horn. All the body rubber has been replaced with new Thing Shop parts. And there is a complete new top and frame, and side windows from The Thing Shop as well. New outside mirrors and sun visors. All of the hardware throughout has been replated in silver zinc. The only rust repair that was needed was a section under the driver’s seat, and the battery tray. Which has been done. And the original bumpers have been tastefully modified by filling the original exhaust holes and then powder coated. The headlights have been replaced with Hella H4 flat glass lens units. The factory gas heater is all intact with an NOS timer switch but untested.I have also had the windshield motor rebuilt. I have entered Homer in several shows and won awards for my work. And I have many more pictures that I can share with you. It’s ready to enjoy. Feel free to message, text, or call me with any questions. Bavapeters@comcast.net 559-477-9379

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Bryan67

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 02:28:11 am »

Sold

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: