The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 14:25:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  Hangin' With The Deeks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Hangin' With The Deeks  (Read 23936 times)
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 21:56:02 pm »

We had a fantastic time with you all....  I can't believe you ate all of those cookies I baked  Roll Eyes 
Here are some more photos.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 23:07:22 pm by DKK Lisa » Logged
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 22:04:10 pm »

and a couple more  Wink
That's our Computer DEEK, Rick attempting to set up a virutal visit with our Fellow DEEK Henry & Nanci in Florida. 
On the bottom picture, check out Nanci's nephew on the bike climbing up the tree! 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 22:06:51 pm by DKK Lisa » Logged
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 22:26:48 pm »

There was a TON of great food that was shared by all.
And YES!!   It was WORM's Birthday  Wink  We celebrated Michele Ito's Birthday and the Piraino Twins' Birthday too  Cool
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 22:31:48 pm »

My favorite part was watching the second generation DEEKS and DKP'ers building friendships.  BTW, FRED fits in well with every generation.... especially the kids  Wink 
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 23:10:34 pm »

and a couple more...
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 00:01:20 am »

hey mark, where are you? your halogram was there with camera in hand, can we see some of your photo-shopped pics as well?

It's true... I was there. But there will be no Photo Shop pictures. I only use that program to process images. You must be thinking of Keith or Fabian with their mad 'Shop skills.

Grin

Didn't have any time to get to the pics... had to leave the picnic and meet up with my older son. It's his one year anniversary with his girlfriend. Just got home from work and now have time to go through the images. Soon as they're done, I'll post 'em up.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 01:31:50 am »

Cool !  Mark, be sure to throw some pics of Juniors Squareback!  That thing is SO eighties and awesome. 

Still smiling.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 03:13:05 am »

D.K.P. you need to woop woop a little more on the entrance I only smelled a little VP  Tongue UMM RACE GAS!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 03:25:29 am »

What originally started out as a club party for two of our fellow DEEKS (Henry & Nanci) had to be altered. They couldn't make it out on this weekend from the east coast. So we carried forth and Mr. Meredith & Mr. Ramirez saw it fit to invite D.K.P. as our guests. What better venue than the very geographic coordinates where we used to polish our Cal Lookers, hang out, play volleyball, etc.? Thirty years later, the park is no longer new but is still a nice place to have a gathering. Lakes, creeks, an abundance of trees and seemingly never ending grass. The city of Fullerton built Craig Park in 1974 and it's been well kept. Which is in keeping with this event... times change, but people that have a passion for Cal Look VWs keep on going. Some build new, while others are keeping their cars preserved for us to enjoy in this current year of two thousand, nine.

As a proud parent, I'm reminded of an old song by The Faction titled The Kids Are The Future. 'Tis true!

Another quote comes to mind; in this great future, you cannot forget your past.

Why? Because I remember seeing this car right after it got painted by Melendez (they painted most of the cars in our club) in '79. If the 911 alloys and old header/muffler were still on it, these pictures would be almost timeless. Junior has kept this original D.K.K. club car in it's prime state of being since he was in 9th grade. However, the real Fuchs 2.0 liter wheels look right at home on this classic Type 3.

The most striking feature that has stayed with me for 30 years is the leading edge of the hood. (bonnet if you're on the other side of the pond) Look closely, and appreciate the many hours of work that went into transforming the once factory metal to this. This paint job is older than many people that post on The Lounge. How's THAT for longevity, quality, and dedication to the Cal Look cause?

As we were getting ready to celebrate birthdays of several people, there, local law enforcement decided to make sure that DEEKS and Panzers weren't tearing up the grass with their unusual German cars.

Turned out that all was well. We're fully aware that there's a perfect time and place such endeavors. Happy Birthday, birthday people!

During varying instances or moments in time, a black & white photograph creates an aesthetic that could be from any circa.

Speaking of timeless, Cal Look VWs can also adopt the same vibe. Hence Sarge's '67.

Rick Sadler's car is capable of being categorized within said realm, as well.

So much, in fact, that Carlos was seen here sampling the inner-sanctum.

Roy's Ruby Red '66 received a set of European specification 911 headlight lenses. I've always favored those on early cars. Enjoyed a set, myself, almost 30 years ago.

Ernie Barron's gorgeous '71 Karmann Ghia convertible and it's power cosmic. Ironic tidbit; first time I saw this car a year ago, at Drag Day... I took many pictures of it and walked away thinking, "Man, that car would've easily been voted into D.K.K. nearly three decades back." At the next VW event, I reconnected with Ernie and his wife. Once a DEEK, always an eye for what we were used to seeing in our group in the way of cars. Once I found out that the car belonged to him, I told Ernie the story of how much I thought his car was just like one of our old club cars. Both of us had a good laugh.

The day was drawing to a close and people had lives, family, and other responsibilities which needed tending to. The Brinton clan is cleared for departure on runway three zero. They brought Rose & Chassis, their very cool dogs along for a ride in another surviving D.K.K. club car.

Most of the group present grew up with Schwinn bicycles. How fitting for Mark Ramirez to bring a couple of us to cruise around on. Two wheeled time travel is very much accepted on this ball that we call Earth.

Some amateur didn't know how to polish/clean the chrome on his wheels. But he had an Ala Moana Volkswagen license plate frame that used to reside on his orange '66. The only saving grace to this otherwise eyesore, such as it were.

All in all, a very fun day. Thank you to everyone that showed up. Also to people that brought and prepared the great food. Once again, Cal Look VWs bringing together a fun group of individuals.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:03:50 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 03:37:09 am »

Nice pictures Mark... I wish I could take credit for the idea of the double club picnic but I believe it came up in a conversation with Mark R.

I covet your license plate frame!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 03:39:41 am »

Duly noted as such, Rick. Just went back and edited the text to reflect that. I merely based it on the conversation that you and I had on the phone, awhile back. Thanks for the clarification.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 03:40:53 am »

Cool Cool Cool Once again, the best for last... nice report, Mark!

DKP III
Worm
DKK

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 04:04:40 am »

More Pics!

Sarge..... come on!  The best for last?  Theres no way you have'nt posted all your super good pics!!!!  Set em up drink em down.

P.S. Usually I could care less about a simple discrepency BUT since I grew up in the town that Craig Park is zoned in, I would like to note that Craig Park is not in Fullerton, it is in "Good Ol' Brea".   I know, no one gives a shit......

There HAS to more pics.  Any of Juniors Rag Top?  Wow.  Would anybody these days cut the roof up on a car like that?  I totally dig it!  Eighties Rule!  Shoulda shown up in Neon pink glasses and glow green shorty shorts......

Rennsurfer

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 04:12:09 am »

Worm, my Mom used to live around the corner from Craig Park. Her address was Fullerton. When I was looking for Craig Park to get to the last two D.K.K. events, I found this information:

Craig Park
3300 N State College Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92835-2382
(714) 973-3180

Like you, I've always thought that was the city of Brea. I sometimes go to the Brea skatepark, which is also very nearby. Go figure. I'll never comprehend So Cal city borders.

Grin

Perhaps the park address should be renamed either Fullerea or Breaton.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:26:41 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Worm
DKK

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 04:31:26 am »

Damn!  Just out of high school we used to raid the park late at night with a sixer each of Mickeys Big Mouths, or Shaeffer Light ($3.99 a twelver) and drink and carouse until.... the cops came.  I couldnt resist.  Thank you Mark for the clarification.  I always thought it was Brea.  Is the Brea Mall in Fullerton too?
Today, back to work, people asked me how my birthday was.  Uhhhhhhhh, "it was fun" was all I could muster.  Too much to tell.
Not certain the work folk would understand chatting with Roger Crawford about his 9 second naturally aspirated Ghia yah know.....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 21:53:02 pm by Worm » Logged

Rennsurfer

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2009, 04:35:22 am »

Not certain the work folk would understand chatting with Roger Crawford about his 9 second naturally aspirated Ghia yah know.....

Stop the presses. WE, here at The Lounge, would have no problem understanding that conversation. Do tell.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2009, 06:09:04 am »

Damn!  Just out of high scholl we used to raid the park late at night with a sixer each of Mickeys Big Mouths, or Shaeffer Light ($3.99 a twelver) and drink and carouse until.... the cops came. 

That and "ice blocking" down those hills  Wink Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:10 am »

Hillcrest Park was the best for Ice Blocking.... but don't even think about it Rick.  We're too old!! 
But I bet you WORM would probably do it.....   Wink
Rennsurfer

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2009, 13:43:17 pm »

If you squint your eyes a tad... the guy in the pink shorts sorta looks like Worm, yes?

Grin

Sorry, Worm... couldn't resist.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2009, 14:08:19 pm »

OK OK.... a couple more shots for the Birthday Boy  Wink 

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2009, 14:33:48 pm »

more.... Roll Eyes

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2009, 14:35:19 pm »

Grin

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2009, 18:17:28 pm »

cool pictures guys , thx for the report

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2009, 01:10:04 am »

O.K. Lisa, it's Tuesday, and I'm still thinking about the cookies!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2009, 01:20:21 am »

Sarge, once again... your pictures rock. Really diggin' the one with Sadler's and Brinton's front wheels. Good stuff. You run a quality outfit, there, young man. Keep up the good work.

Mmmmm, yes. Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookies. My better half brought a bunch of extra/left over food home from that day. First thing to go, shortly after we got in the door, the cookies. GONE. SEE YA. YUMMY. Thanks, Lisa and every one else that brought and/or baked sweets. I live for that stuff.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2009, 01:45:44 am »

Lisa also fixed me up with a care package, and it was gone fast! Now I have withdrawls and need more cookies!

I also park at Nick's.
DKK Robert
DKK

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2009, 01:59:42 am »

Lisa also fixed me up with a care package, and it was gone fast! Now I have withdrawls and need more cookies!
My care package of cookies and a brownie didn't even make it all the way home.

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 02:37:35 am »

Mmmmm, yes. Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookies. My better half brought a bunch of extra/left over food home from that day. First thing to go, shortly after we got in the door, the cookies. GONE. SEE YA. YUMMY. Thanks, Lisa and every one else that brought and/or baked sweets. I live for that stuff.
My care package of cookies and a brownie didn't even make it all the way home.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaawe.  You make my Italian Heart smile.  It's a terrible genetic curse...... I must prepare Italian style quantities of food, be sure you have seconds, and send you all home with happy tummies.  I just can't help myself!  Glad you enjoyed my craziness  Wink 
Lisa.... The Cookie Girl
Rennsurfer

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2009, 04:02:02 am »

Hmm, I've always referred to you as Lisa... the D.K.K. Girl (only one that can remember). Or, Lisa... The Yellow '53 Split Window Girl. But this new contemporary variant or version, if you will, is rather fitting.

As President of a club that doesn't exist, I hereby declare that from this day forward, your new nickname shall be Lisa... The Cookie Girl.

Grin

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:06:22 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2009, 04:05:35 am »

Hmm, I've always referred to you as Lisa... the D.K.K. Girl (only one that can remember). Or, Lisa... The Yellow '53 Split Window Girl. But this new contemporary variant or version, if you will, is rather fitting.

As President of a club that doesn't exist, I hereby declare that from this day forward, your new nickname shall be Lisa... The Cookie Girl.

Grin

May be a bit more fitting after I get this darn VERT on the road  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: