The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:33:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350774 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  New member first post and new ride!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New member first post and new ride!  (Read 4496 times)
Richierich56

« on: November 28, 2015, 01:11:39 am »

Hi all - new to this forum but not to the VW scene - had a good number of bugs going back to the early nineties but recently had a couple of split buses. Anyway, always fancied a nice looker and have just imported this 56 into the UK. Just arrived from Stanton, California a couple of weeks back. Story on the car is that it started being built about 9 years ago by a guy who apparently was going full on show car but then had some personal issues and it got put by the wayside and sold to the lovely people I bought it from. Car is a 56, on the original pan but with a 64 front end on it. Custom paint colour (has quite grown on me actually!) - the doors I have to get matched. Adjustable front beam, front disc brakes, type 3 drums/rear end.
The important stuff - has a 2180 motor with dual 40idf Webers, which apparently (not yet driven by me here as not registered) puts out in the region of 160hp according to the people I bought it from (we'll see!). Unfortunately I dont have the internal specs etc yet but will be getting into all that soon. Not sure on id of the transmission yet. Have some plans for the car going forward.

Anyway, sorry for the long post - hope to be able to benefit from the vast amount of knowledge that you guys have and look forward to spending many evenings on here! R

Rich

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:32:02 am by Richierich56 » Logged
RIP356

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:55:28 am »

Nice looking car
Dave
vwhelmot

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:53:42 am »

Wow, I had to turn my colour down on my screen!  What`s the plan?
paul_bish

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 18:27:31 pm »

looks good on the gas burners. Yellow is interesting though...
richie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 18:35:32 pm »

Hi Rich

did the previous owner paint cars and do this himself? I think I know it but was on fuch last time I saw it several years ago when it was slowly going back together, should be fun when its back on the road like it deserves Smiley

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Richierich56

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 22:41:36 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments fellas. Yes the paint is pretty late 90's but it really has grown on me and given that the cars a long way removed from stock I think I'm going to leave it as is.

Added some new adjustable spring plates to the rear, new shocks all round, new track rods, steering damper and am going to be further narrowing the front beam I think to 4" (currently is 1").

Given the motor a service today - fresh oil, new filters etc. Docs just off to DVLA today so hopefully within a week the new num will arrive.

Have to say, going through the various stuff on the car that has been done, its all been done to a high standard so very pleased so far.

Richie - youve got PM
Cymon Sez

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 17:40:36 pm »

Know this car well and the original owner.

Steve
Straight Time

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 13:06:14 pm »

It's BRIGHT !! Looks a solid base car, though so do some of the others in the background of that garage, Wow !!!

No retreat, No surrender !
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 16:50:56 pm »

Cool looking bug, I actually really like the yellow!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: