The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 00:10:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350739 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Late Models...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 88 Print
Author Topic: Late Models...  (Read 1034883 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2007, 20:38:28 pm »

cool green tom  you want to know  Grin , my 61 don't run at that time but, i've an another cal look  and i drove this one  9 year each day and all seasons on genuine wheels (empi 5 & empi 8 & flat 4 brms) yes each day  Cool , And I crossed + of 60000kms with this car which now waits for a new restoration and certainly with very expensive details  Roll Eyes because I like only the true details of period and then I don't take myself for somebody of superior because I have such or such details thus here is but each the opinion to be few that you,  you don't like my car either   Wink
fabian
ps : green tom i'm not a rich guys just a hospital worker  But sometimes I offer myself to me a small detail which I like  Grin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 20:41:47 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
GreenTom

« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2007, 21:53:01 pm »

and taht kind of answer I like...
I've never said that someones bug isn't a cal-look...  eaven my frieds 1302 who is trying to do everything to have a car a litle bit cal-lookish...
but saying: no youre car isnt cal-looker without giiveing a reason or explanations... thats is not fair... not haveing any arguments... and jus saying "because I said so" sorry thats not a explenation... and non gouru can say that
I'm not rich also... and as I can aford something, Im trying to ge it... wheels, carbs (people in Poland know the history of my carbs... when I was a student...), shiter... etc.. all atributes of callook car... and I'm sure that 67 beetles can be a lookers... there were few pix of post 74 lookers and noone said ...neee its POS not cal-look.
I don't wont any one to admire my bug, cuz it look how it look... I'm admireing it cuz its my beloved bug...
in Poland all VW people are as a family... and we admire all beetes going after saying... "there anren't ugly bugs" ...

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com

« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2007, 23:58:02 pm »

So wen I weld splitsreen in a 83 Mexican beetle.
I can tell that I have a 51 splitsreen?

What did you aspect,that everybody says:Yes you have a baeutifull Cal-looker.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2007, 01:25:48 am »

Some more...

Glad you like my 68 people, although it's looking like that now:

Maybe I should start a topic about this...

Glitter don't make you faster.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2007, 05:23:39 am »

welcome on the lounge roland   Wink
fabian

ESH

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2007, 12:25:18 pm »

Glad you like my 68 people, although it's looking like that now:

Maybe I should start a topic about this...

I saw you'd ripped it apart, saw it on one of the blogs I think. We're trying to fix up a late car ('73) done over here at the moment. Hopefully it'll be finished by the end of this summer though that depends on a few things coming together according to a plan and the problem I have with that iis I don't have time right now to maintain the plan properly. We did briefly think about trying to get it together for the trip down to Bug-In and the ferry is booked for it but I can't see that working out. Considering the car's late I was suprised at how hard it is to get genuine parts these days.

roland

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2007, 12:43:49 pm »

Yeah it's quite hard, i'm still looking for a lot of metal for the 68 (3 wings, doors, front clip..)...

I hope the car will be ready for vw action but more probably for ddday5, with a new color, a 2110 and the gearbox to go with it...

Got any pic of your late?

LuftsickTero

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2007, 12:52:39 pm »

and i drove this one  9 year each day and all seasons on genuine wheels (empi 5 & empi 8 & flat 4 brms) yes each day  Cool

Wow Fabs, genuine Flat4 BRMs!  Wink Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:56:41 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2007, 13:28:22 pm »

yes tero genuine flat 4 brm  Cheesy , i've a set  who was made in 92 that's old now 15 years  no  Huh.... Grin  maybe in the first production of the flat4 brms  Wink
rgds
fabian

ESH

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2007, 13:30:16 pm »

Yeah it's quite hard, i'm still looking for a lot of metal for the 68 (3 wings, doors, front clip..)...

I hope the car will be ready for vw action but more probably for ddday5, with a new color, a 2110 and the gearbox to go with it...

Got any pic of your late?

Nothing of it complete to hand, but I have a couple of it in progress, nothing overly interesting though! We're welding quite a bit of it up whilst it's on the pan to make sure all the shuts and lines are OK (it's braced as well) then once the majority of the body welds are done we'll take it off the pan and deal with each part separately. It's going to be green still, just not the original green though some other details are yet to be decided. It's my other halfs car and she's not 100% on how it will end up, could be Cal-Look, could have a hint of something else.  Things that are settled are the colour, the Fuchs, a 2007cc motor and the interior. I managed to get 5 N.O.S. wings, three appropriate for the car and two 1200 fronts. I think we can use a couple of the original wings maybe though it's too early to say as they're not yet stripped. Bumpers were a pain to locate too. One thing I would say is contact Steve Hook over here for channel bottoms if you need them, infact if you need anything he does use his stuff, the quality is great, (http://www.hookyspanelshop.com/), I had  some repros and then some Mexicans and ditched both as soon as he said he'd make the bottoms, at the time he wasn't doing them.

Having become accustomed to cool shows like DDD I have no interest in being at Action but there's a good chance that I'll be at back at Bitburg for DAS Drag Day IV so maybe see the '68 there...

Are you putting the '68 back as it was or making a few changes? I know the car as it was reasonably well, with our own project in mind I spent quite a long time looking at it whenever I've seen it!  

lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2007, 20:36:32 pm »

Looks like a great project car Mr Sanchez!   And yes Roland, you should open a topic about your car!

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
roland

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2007, 21:53:21 pm »

Are you putting the '68 back as it was or making a few changes? I know the car as it was reasonably well, with our own project in mind I spent quite a long time looking at it whenever I've seen it! 

Well the car was okay but a lot of little details were bugging me since i got it. Major change is the color, right now i'm decided for a porsche color, Bahama Yellow (sample here: http://projekt912.cordes-netzwerk.de/bilder/109-0918_IMG.jpg . I'm keeping the cal look / DKP 2 style, no chromes, black pop-outs, blinkers in the bumpers, etc

I'm also keeping the black interior for now, but i'm putting an empi gt padded steering wheel and an older berg shifter.

The biggest mods will be mechanical with all new pan, pro-drag gearbox and 2110 engine with ida's, of course...

So an all new car, much cleaner with that cal-look style i loved so much when i got it.

Now that i made you all drool, i really have to start a topic Wink

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2007, 21:59:05 pm »

the Color on that Porsche is Sepia Brown

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
roland

« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2007, 22:06:51 pm »

Sepia Brown:

Bahama Yellow:

Spot the difference? Wink

brmmark

« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2007, 22:17:43 pm »

Hello Greentom!

It's about what your car means to you and didn't all cal-look cars where daily divers in the 70's? Who has really the "perfect"cal-look beetle So lower your car at the front and enjoy it!!!!

Greetings

Brmmark
Eddie DVK

« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2007, 00:05:08 am »

roland (DAS),

Hello, I have always liked the blue late looker since the mid 90's.
But new color looks also good.
keep us posted on your progress..

Kind regards Edgar
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 22:14:10 pm by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
ESH

« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2007, 10:21:43 am »

Looks like a great project car Mr Sanchez!   And yes Roland, you should open a topic about your car!

I hope so. We've been watching The Samba and looking at all the lovely cars we could have bought instead, scary! Thing is it's a one owner car that I bought as my first car so it was always going to be about, it's not actually too bad either and hasn't suffered too many poor quality repairs, just one small patch. Still needs a lot of metal doing though.

This may take sometime...

...Major change is the color, right now i'm decided for a porsche color, Bahama Yellow...

With the overall approach and colour of choice I think there are going to be a few similarities between the revised '68 and our '73. Ours is not going to be the same colour but it does have the same feel as it's from the same period. Maybe they'll be parked up together in Ninove sometime next year?

Smiley
roland

« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2007, 22:18:22 pm »

With the overall approach and colour of choice I think there are going to be a few similarities between the revised '68 and our '73. Ours is not going to be the same colour but it does have the same feel as it's from the same period. Maybe they'll be parked up together in Ninove sometime next year?

Smiley

That would be great!

ESH

« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2007, 18:42:23 pm »

That would be great!

I guess we better get ours done then. See you in Ninove!  Smiley
rebel

« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2007, 19:43:19 pm »

Hey, Greentom Smiley

Don't be so touchy Smiley
Some things oughta be said by 'the Gurus' to change the general opinion of the croud.
Remember the reaction for my post?
Everybody was complainig about it and tried to discourage me from the idea of giving my 1302 "The Treatment".
And what happened? One post by a guy, whos been there "back in the day", and the general "no-no" trend began to fade.
Another posts, and poeple started to say something completely different.
Some pages further some of them even started to say that they eventually liked the "late lookers" Tongue
C'mon... Next big thing - that Mr Keith's article in UltraVW 'bout late lookers, and some people wrote, thet they're thinking of bouilding a late looker actually Smiley
How was that going?

"There is a certain snobbery" etc...

I won't be surprised if at shows in 2008 season there will be special category for "late lookers" Smiley

Coming back to your car. Just keep on going, Y'know...
If You want to know for sure, ask The Mentors - Sarge for instance...
Most of these radical guys in here weren't even 'in the plans' where The Look was its mythical days.   

C'mon, dude. The basic thing is the Attitude.
Your boss has the fastest bus in the UK. He had the fastest street legal bug, as I can remember.
Learn how to do it his way every day. But he uses the modern techniques, right?
People will always complain. Just do it fast and oldschool. The Cars don't get born overnite.
And most of them would be jealous, that you have the honour to work for Paul.

Greetz, guys Smiley

PS: I'll post some pics of my late-look cal-inspired 1302 in a few weeks, when I get the engine apart.
     Beetlebug: thanks for info on your Heckmessers - it was very helpful Smiley I've just powdercoated my set Smiley

Jordy/DVK

« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2007, 00:45:31 am »

Here's a picture of my peice of $#!%.. I know it stil looks like crap and it's really not worth being called a "Cal-looker", but I'm working on it.
 Got myself a nice used front hood, a NOS right side fender, but I'm still looking for an orig. vw fender for the left side before I can get it re-sprayed.
 And I still need to replace that snorring lump of metal in the back by a roaring lump...

I am also thinking of fitting T or buggy bars and I'm going to ditch the trim on the running boards...

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2007, 01:18:54 am »

Jordy, i've found leftside fender i think (or was it right side)  Roll Eyes
Losing the trim is ok, but not necessary. I love the stance in real life, it's spot on!

When do we start sanding?? Let me know, i'll take a day off seriously!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Cornpanzer

« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2007, 03:16:12 am »

Here's a picture of my peice of $#!%.. I know it stil looks like crap and it's really not worth being called a "Cal-looker", but I'm working on it.
 Got myself a nice used front hood, a NOS right side fender, but I'm still looking for an orig. vw fender for the left side before I can get it re-sprayed.
 And I still need to replace that snorring lump of metal in the back by a roaring lump...

I am also thinking of fitting T or buggy bars and I'm going to ditch the trim on the running boards...

I like it!  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2007, 12:06:17 pm »

buggy bars would be cool on your car but i will remove the  trim  Wink
the brown is an dkp II car she was on the cover of the june 77 hot vw
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 12:11:32 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2007, 19:54:38 pm »

for tero i post the car of mark ramirez in the late model topic

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2007, 19:55:10 pm »

back side

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2007, 02:06:18 am »

It would take very little to make that a real cool cal look car ... It's great to see people take an interest in late cal lookers again.Like I've said earlier, There used to be scores of them!!!! Good luck on your project!

I also park at Nick's.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2007, 02:22:01 am »

That color pic of the Ramirez car gives me wood.  Have I told you how much I love color-keyed Fuchs???

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2007, 13:48:17 pm »

Here is a Few Pictures Of My OLD 69 Cal Look when I was in DVB

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2007, 15:47:21 pm »

John, Jordy scored some nice parts for his Red October 67.
Soon it will look properly done i reckon  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 88 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: