The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 21:05:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350767 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  RIP VW Gasser Garage January 2006- January 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RIP VW Gasser Garage January 2006- January 2015  (Read 38763 times)
beatnik beetle

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 15:43:23 pm »

What a ride it has been..back when myself and a few other's used to sit in my old workshop ( early 90's) thumbing through the old mags and absorbing every little detail on every old race car and falling in love with the "old gassers",,never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would get to have Tar Babe in the shop,and  see it re-united with it's original owners ....seeing the emotion in the eyes of Mark and Paul when they were re-united with the Lightning Bug 1 replica at EBI...hearing about Darrell's drag racing and Bonneville racing in the Inch Pincher replica..helping to restore the Lee Leighton car, Under Dog 2 Replica, the Race Shop Truck etc etc....in my old (ish) age I have come to realise that nothing last's forever but, I have the best memories of working on some lovely car's for a lovely bloke ( please send the money to the work address Russ  Cheesy ) with some lovely people..I couldn't have done it with out an amazing team - Russell's vision and the super talented Neil Melliard...I think it will only be when folk have stopped posting on this thread that you will realise the impact on the VW scene that you had Russ...good luck with the Vintage "stuff" and just in case any of you lovely lot do buy one of Russ's collection and want it restored - you know where we are...only been doing it for 27 years this year.... Wink..Thank You Russell....it's been a blast ! x
Straight Time

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 15:47:44 pm »

Bad news for us,  good news for vintage.

See you over on pre67!!! :-)

No retreat, No surrender !
flatfire

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 16:25:18 pm »

Thanks for your generosity Russell. EBI 1 ''grab a helmet and have a run down the strip''.  Thanks for your kind offer. It will be with me for ever.
The lucky times I have visited the garage, just blew me away. The hard work all your team has put in, is amazing.
Cheers
Peter

36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 16:26:52 pm »

Russell, thanx for sharing IP1 with Darrell and allowing him to race this precious metal in the 36hp Challenge at Bonneville this past year.

While we have only met in person briefly, it has been my true honor to meet someone so dedicated to the high performance history of Volkswagen. I was hoping to see you again along with the Gasser Garages stable of historic VW's at Chimay during my first visit this year. I do hope you will still come join all of us just for the heck of it!

Photo by Burly Burlile

May the Speed be with you...............................

Burly
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 16:29:23 pm »

i've no words  Cry Cry Cry  , it's as if the world collapsed, I wouldn't be lucky enough to see the raceshop team (bus+ trailer + fiat), for on if I had the money that would be it is 3 that I shall buy
thx russell for having made some of my dreams a reality

fabs

So who's going to take up the challenge of keeping them alive.

those who have lot of money to buy them and racing them  Undecided

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 16:33:31 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 16:35:42 pm »

This would have never arrived without you

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
larry mck

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 16:42:23 pm »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! As many others have said you have inspired so many and given so much joy to so many. You have poured in so much of your precious time and hard earned money and have asked for nothing in return. You have changed lives and have brought back so many lost and forgotten race cars and racers. Look at the Schely brothers and their museum, Darrell Vittone is racing aircooled VWs again. All that is because of you. I just want to thank you Russell for the memories and for letting me be a small part of it.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 17:00:29 pm »

I don't know what to say really, at a loss for words. I do hope to continue to see you and the cars you've saved at many more events in the future though Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pascal Dream machine

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 17:18:10 pm »

Very sad news ! Thanks Russell for those wonderful moments you shared with all the vw lovers :-)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 17:19:47 pm »

Just cos fab did... Thanks Russell Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
tikimadness

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 17:34:22 pm »

Looking so forward to your new adventures, be sure to pack a lot of extra underwear  Grin Grin Grin

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
BossHogg76

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 17:36:02 pm »

Not sure what to say, You started me down the road of building the car of my dreams and put my in contact with a group of guys that have become mates.

Good luck for the future, hopefully catch up with you at a show sometime.

kaferdave

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 18:24:20 pm »

That photo of the Inch Pincher @ Bonneville..the goofy- looking guy with the orange vest, and camera in his hand, is ME   Wink Getting a chance to ride with Darrell in the Inch Pincher was the culmination of a dream, and something on my "Bucket List"...Thank You, Russell, you have done so much, for so many...
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 18:38:40 pm »

Thanks for all you did to the hobby Russell but can I suggest changing the name to Rent a Gasser Garage? I'm down with Tar Babe for a month! I'll take sweet care of her!  Kiss

Steve Niendorf

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 20:06:56 pm »

Russell,

Thank you for your contribution to our little VW hobby / lifestyle. Many of the cars you have I can remember seeing them in person when I was a young man. Frankly, its hard to believe so many of these famous race cars still survive to this day.
I remember meeting you at Irwindale and enjoyed our quick little chats. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors, I'm sure the new Vintage Russell will be top shelf.

For the record, if I could have just one it would be Tar Babe  Cool

Cheers to you and team Gasser Garage! 

-Dave
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 20:10:52 pm »

Very sad news
Thanks for all Russell

maX cal-look

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 20:58:06 pm »

Cry

cedric

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 21:16:50 pm »

Thx for all the fun russell!see you @bad camberg!
Fonz

Still struggling with speed humps!

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 00:33:19 am »

It has been fantastic to see all the cars that have come through GG over the years. Thank you, Russell and all involved. You have made dreams come true and inspired.

Without you I would probably never have seen one of my favourite Ghias of all time in the metal, let alone sit in it. Something I will never forget.

I look forward to seeing what you do next.  Cool

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 01:32:06 am »

Thanks for everything you've done for the VW world Russell.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 02:41:05 am »

Seriously? Tar Babe vs Vintage? I don't get it? Good luck though
2manytoys

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 04:14:39 am »

Russell,

I have to "chime in" and agree,..thanks for the "shot in the arm", the boost and the passion you have shown with the GG. You re-energized the obsession and affection for Vintage Gassers that many younger VW fans otherwise would have never been exposed to. I am sure the next phase will be just as bright and passion filled.....There is no such thing as 2manytoys...

Patrick

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
mg

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 04:23:01 am »

Giving up racing too?  Cry
try a 36hp in tar babe for a few weeks then see how you feel. Wink
TomJ

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 07:08:06 am »

Good luck Russ and thanks for bringing back to life cars that entertained and have inspired so many. I hope they find new homes and people can enjoy seeing them.

On the vintage front a split bug with okrasa heads, crossplys and cable brakes probably feels as wild as a gasser but you can drive it everyday!

See you in Camberg 😄
Russell

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 09:43:41 am »

Guys

Thanks so much for the kind words, it is really appreciated. When I started down this road, I never realised how it would become "we" and what a road it would be, its been fantastic, I'm glad we have all have memories that make it stick in our minds, I can never forget all the time standing at the start line at EBI watching these old Gassers launching it hard and taking off like a bat out of hell into the horizon, and me jumping with excitement at the thrill of seeing these cars competing for real, watching the likes of Ron F, Paul S, Troy P, Allan W, Larry M and KS hitting it hard will always make me smile.

Also, although VWGG is being laid to rest I will still very much be a VW man, nothing could temp me away, I'm very lucky that my collection covers Cal Look, Stock, Vintage, Salt Flat, Buses, Military and Race cars and even the odd resto cal car.... so I'm not gong anywhere just doing things on a little more individual basis rather than turn up with 8 cars to race, will have a little bit more restraint, however saying that, our first out as VW Vintage Garage, will be "Bad Cabrio 2015" and we are taking a 50 vert, 52 vert, 55 vert, 57 vert and a 43 Schimm, so the madness part is still there and in full swing... LOL

See on the other side.  Wink and Thanks again.

Best Regards

Russell
Helge/DFL

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 15:24:05 pm »

I think that we have every reason to say "THANK YOU, RUSSELL !!".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 15:36:18 pm by Helge/DFL » Logged

-DFL- Der Fieser Luftkühlers
`59 Dragrace Beetle "Stage Fright"
`62 ragtop Beetle
Jeff68

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 16:32:21 pm »

^^^ Now that's a hell of a photo!! Cool
Helge/DFL

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2015, 18:43:36 pm »

I am very sad that has Russell explains the project "Gasser Garage" ended.
He will not fully dissolve the collection, but he will also not bring the collection to shows/meetings.

I have often said in this legendary moments to my friends: "Hey! Check this out! Ron Flemming in Tar Babe ... we might not see that again ! "

And now it's over ... We have seen it, we were there.

No old men who must have your original cars drive again.

When I bought 1994/1995 Keith Seume book, I never thought that I'm going to see some of these cars and people "live in Europe". I have had the opportunity in my car to drive to Keith in the Race Shop Ghia. For me the highlight of my recent "VW hobby-career"

We have seen it, we were there.

I think that we have every reason to say "THANK YOU, RUSSELL !!".

-DFL- Der Fieser Luftkühlers
`59 Dragrace Beetle "Stage Fright"
`62 ragtop Beetle
peejke

Keep it simple...

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2015, 19:04:46 pm »

shit... a sad day for everyone involved or interested  in old gassers

way to much old shit at home, ...
'57 single cab, 1776 powered
'71 baywindow westy , 1835 powered
'54 oval ragtop , texas brown , stock as hell
flandria sport moped collection, other old mopeds, BSA A65 cafe racer, yamaha SR500 dirt tracker
nicolas

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2015, 10:11:51 am »

all i can say is: Thank you!

see you around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: