The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 13:06:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Opinions on a good race engine for the gasser project.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Opinions on a good race engine for the gasser project.  (Read 4097 times)
Vwfreak53

« on: October 06, 2013, 00:00:17 am »

So, I'm in the planning stages of the engine for the new purple gasser project I picked up this week. Just wondering what some of the gasser folks are running for engines. This car originally had a roller crank, which I'm not crazy about. Not to mention that it looks like it came out of the Titanic after having been exposed to the elements sitting inside the car unprotected.

Here are some details that might help with the suggestions...

While I would love to keep this car 100% original, there's obviously been some great gains and technology available in 2013 that werent around decades ago. That being said, I am shooting for an engine that will be a balance of performance and outward period correct appearance.

1. In all honesty I don't ever plan on really running the car hard or competitively in a class. Maybe some fun bracket racing and an exhibition run or two here and there.

2. I do plan on running slicks on the car just as it was originally equipped with back in the 70s.

3. I have at my disposal to use a brand new CB 82 race crank and H beam rods, so I'd like to utilize these parts without compromising the cool factor of knowing period correct parts aren't in the bottom end.

4. I plan on using the original 48 IDAs-they're really nice. Will need ideas for heads, pistons/cyl, and cam.

5.  Seeing as how this car should be pretty light, would a built Rancho Pro Street tranny suffice? I really don't want to go crazy on a race tranny when I don't plan on doing 7-8k launches...

Sorry for the million questions. I'm new to the gasser scene and didn't know if there were "unspoken rules" about utilizing modern parts! Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks for all of the kind words in my progress thread.

Vwfreak53

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 00:03:52 am »

And lastly is there any real advantage to running the Vertex Magneto as opposed to say an 010? I know the unit would probably need serviced. Just wondering if this is even a cost effective route to go. Is the cost to service these more than what it would cost to get a new unit? There's no doubt they look awesome in the engine compartment though...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 00:16:19 am by Vwfreak53 » Logged
JS

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:35:48 am »

Call Joe Hunt about the mag. I canīt remember what I paid for the total rebuild of mine, but it was miles from a new one.

Signature.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:19 am »

If it was my car... Since you have the 82, build a 2180 with thick walls. Old school displacement, new school reliability. I think VW's make more power these days because of better heads and they last because of stronger rods. In my opinion, a mag is good if you loose the battery, if not a 010 is just fine. I would slap CNC heads on there, a 310ish degree cam with those EMPI 1.4's. 12:1 cr, etc. Something you can have a lot of fun with but won't break the bank.

Disclaimer: I've been drinking all day so take this advice with a grain of salt Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
fish

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:49:00 pm »

X 2 ^^^^^^ 2180 w/92 thick walls
Magneto
Welded old school heads
GB315

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 14:16:28 pm »

do you have some info about you car Huh engine displacement??? where she was racing ??  some old photos , something to help you to do the right job on that one

Wink 

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Vwfreak53

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 16:16:59 pm »

Unfortunately the engine builder passed away back in 2007. He would've been the guy to talk to about it. His son is the guy who actually sold the car to me, but he couldn't remember specifics on the motor. There's an engine case and heads that came with the car, so I may see what p&cs it was running.

Funny thing is-the original driver of this car back in the 70s contacted the seller when the ad first went up on the samba. He seemed all gung-ho on buying the car and then never followed through with it. I'm currently working on tracking him down in hopes of finding out more info, photos,  etc.
Old Guy

Barrett Racing Pro Gas 10.75ET 123.18MPH

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 17:52:24 pm »

I'd go with modern day internals and old school exterior including the mag.  If it was a 2180 originally use your CB crank and rods.  I'd go with AA 92mm thick walls and Mahle or AA FORGED pistons.  Welded original VW heads would be nice.  Good luck with your project.

Old Guy
NoBars

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 00:55:41 am »

94s wil take advantage of what cb cnc heads have to offer, ie not shroud the intake valves.  I know some guys who are having good luck with the super pro heads. Couple that with an fk89 and I would think it would be a real screamer.

Mike Gaginer, precision engineered performance (PEP) in North Carolina is a trans builder that a lot of us on the east coast are using. He is very good, and reasonable

What parts are in the trans you have? It probably has some useable stuff.

My real name is Anthony Consorte.
Vwfreak53

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 01:37:05 am »

I haven't even torn into the tranny yet. I bought a turn key brand new Rancho with SAW axles to throw in it in the meantime. I'll probably dissect the original to see if there are any goodies inside. All I know at this point is that it came out of a 68 type 3...

Thanks for the I put guys. I think that's the plan. Im told Joe Hunt rebuilds magnetos. I may give him a call and see about servicing my original. The Joe Hunt tag is still affixed even!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: