The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:00:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  165 vs 185 tires
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 165 vs 185 tires  (Read 4250 times)
xbacax

« on: April 14, 2014, 19:39:44 pm »

Hi,

I'm running 186/60 on 5,5 stock rear rims. Well..... I'd like to change them to 165/80 or 185/80 or something in between Wink
I would like to ask which of those would be better ? I mean .. any noticeable changes in performance ? My engine is not a nuclear blast Tongue
It has around 70 hp.

What do You think ?? Wink

Have a nice day
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 17:35:50 pm »

i am the lookout for better grip and better tires, but the size is one thing, but considering the engine output i think 165's will do (165/80) and if this is not the look you are after i personally like the look of a 185/70 tyre. ample grip and a bit bigger seen from behind.
again for me, classic callookers didn't usually run very wide rear tires in the 60's and 70's. i even like that look a lot.
mg

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 18:22:03 pm »

As far as grip and performance...
Imho Treadwear is more important than size.
Check the treadwear rating on your tires.
VWs are light so they can run the grippy lower treadwear tires and still get decent life and improved grip.
example...A 165 with a softer 200 treadwear is going to out perform a 185 with harder 320 treadwear.

The old 145 fronts that many use last for years and never wear out the tread with a 300+ tread wear.
According to the tire rack website after 3 years the tire has lost 1/3 of its strength (rubber drys out) and you get less grip but still have full tread.
Amazes me someone builds a nice expensive car then runs dry rotted 10 year old tires on it?

Each tire has a 4 digit number that represents the week and year your tire was made.
The rubber on the tires drys out after 5 to 7 years even if never used.

Ideally in 3 years with a lower treadwear you have experianced max grip, tread is worn down and the rubber is starting to dry rot.
Then its time for new tires, and you'll know you have got the most perfomance from your tires.  Cool

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:06:20 am by mg » Logged
xbacax

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 15:48:05 pm »

i am the lookout for better grip and better tires, but the size is one thing, but considering the engine output i think 165's will do (165/80) and if this is not the look you are after i personally like the look of a 185/70 tyre. ample grip and a bit bigger seen from behind.
again for me, classic callookers didn't usually run very wide rear tires in the 60's and 70's. i even like that look a lot.

well it's definetly not the look that I'm lookin' for ( said Yoda Cheesy ) I'm looking for the best tires on strip. and good times with my week engine Wink
What do You think about the opinion that 165 are to narrow for 5,5 rim ?

And also .... what do you think about the "wheel diameter statement " ?? Smiley
I mean ... do tall fat tires are only a fashion, and it's waaaay after the passsion ?? Cheesy hehehe
I was looking for some discusions about it on the lounge and foud out that Sarge and bunch of other "old guys" acctually race a low diameter tires as they roll faster or something ?? Maybe someone could finnaly explain it to me ??

low diameter wheels = higher rpm's better acceleration and stays on rpm's dyring gear change ?
tall wheels=  Huh

have a nice day Wink
mg

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 17:17:57 pm »

google final drive ratio and unsprung weight.
That's the technical terms for your questions.
Get the lightest rim and the lightest tire you can find.
If you only have 70hp a 165 is all the tire you need.

Tires don't last long so whatever you choose is only temporary.

xbacax

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 17:34:27 pm »

mg thank You very much for reply Smiley

how about Toyo R888 165/50 streer legal semi slicks ?? Dose is make sense ??
They are avaible here in Poland easy Smiley
mg

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 18:11:19 pm »

a semi slick sounds like a softer side wall and that helps the car hook at the starting line.
Starting line as at the drag strip only, I dont think you will be impressed with these at all on the street.

The slick sounds good for drag racing but I'd have them on a spare set of wheels for drag days.

If you are in a fast corner at 70mph you'll want the opposite, a firm sidewall.

Besides with 70hp your trans is most likely stock and a sticky tire during a hard launch might just break your stock parts.
If you hook your car too hard something has to give, most likely your weakest part in your stock drivetrain.

In a dual purpose street and occasional drag race VW I'd rather compromise my drag race 60 foot times for the confidence of a VW that can safely handle higher speed corners.

At the strip you can tune your car with softer rebound front shocks to increase weight transfer and grip.
Again this type of shock valving is going to compromise your corner carving.

xbacax

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 18:59:49 pm »

those are very important information. I'm going racing on 11th of May. I'll check how the car lunch and grip . then i'll report Smiley
thanks
mg

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 00:26:18 am »

take off your front shocks and test launch it.
fun to launch a stock flywheel 70hp car on radials.
take some go pro in car video.
1/4 mile?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 00:41:33 am »

165/50 is extremely short, you would probably drag your exhaust/engine on launch.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 05:29:35 am »

If it's lowered and you run 185/60R14s on the back you do.........
 Wink
xbacax

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 10:56:16 am »

well it's quite low but it's R15's not 14's Smiley

Zach, you're right, I've measured it and 165/50 are way to low Smiley

MG- yes, 1/4 mile. best time so far is 17.02 on a stock mexi EFI system with some few extra stuff and 62 HP / 110 Nm on dyno Cheesy engine if quite different no so I hope it can make 16's..... like a beast Cheesy

if you mean taking off front shocks to get more stiffnes, and not lean as much when it lounch .... well my car is quite stiff i believe Tongue Tongue i run red koni's in front.

well, that's my car
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: