The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 23:21:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350742 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 65 race car
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: My 65 race car  (Read 421851 times)
Andy Sykes

« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2012, 18:50:49 pm »

i got a whole day in the workshop to and ive nearly completed one A Arm

it all started here

then two

cutting up the CDS tube

and one nearly done

thast the easy bit ive got to make the other exactly the same no thats the challenge

cheers andy

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
Andy Sykes

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2012, 15:41:33 pm »

well i went out today to get some printer ink and fell into the workshop  Grin

this is how they will fit

TIGed up the bosses didnt turn out too bad i dont do much welding

cheers andy

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Andy Sykes

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2012, 18:52:51 pm »

good news is ive got my car back now to go to bruce for painting Smiley

ive finished the other arm all i have to do if fab up a bracket for the coil overs

for a bit of extra strength i plug weled the bosses in as well

cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2012, 20:33:45 pm »

The java charger has reached the paint shop woo hoo it's down hill now Smiley

Cheers andy

Richyrich

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2012, 00:42:12 am »

Nice work Andy, Oh how i miss a workshop Cry,
Andy Sykes

« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2012, 17:17:13 pm »

bit done today started taking the car apart again

transmission out

i like this bit Smiley

time to take the diff out

ring gear on the quaife just need the new bearings now and find out if i need any preload i havent spotted anything yet but there maybe shims behind the bearing but not checked that yet

cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:07 am »

Thanks to ricola I have the diff set up details all looks v easy  Cheesy

Just got to get hold of shims now if I need any Smiley

Cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2012, 14:21:20 pm »

thought i would weld in the heater pockets and give it a try

20amps needed for all 4 plugs

and in one hour we have just over 90 Deg C and 50 Deg C in the oil feed line

so looks like that works Smiley

cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2012, 19:27:39 pm »

I thought I would have a go at making the breather/catch tank for the VAC pump

Baffles and 4" tube

Baffles welded in place

All welded up didn't turn out too bad I defo need to practice welding aluminium lol

Cheers andy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 19:29:54 pm by fast65 » Logged

61ragtop

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:39 am »

Andy

What size are your front runners

Getting mine this week not sure if I should go for 22" or 24" tall

Cheers James aka beetleragtop
Andy Sykes

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2012, 13:30:35 pm »

hi James mine are 22"

cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2012, 18:32:21 pm »

Got the car back for a few days while the paint shop is busy and started to fit the a arms

Got my pencil out to design the brakets I have moved to 22 mm hole as it was going to be too close when I welded the brackets on Roll Eyes

Started cutting out

And then had to try one of the new wheels on Smiley

And that was about it today but I have changed my mind yet again I'm completely changing the motor now to a 4" oxyboxer as after a few discussions my T1 block is just not going to take it  Shocked so here we go again lol

Cheers andy

richie

« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2012, 19:00:12 pm »

Andy

i was thinking before you need to get those A arms mounted before paint but didnt want to interfere Shocked 

So why do you think your type 1 wont be enough,there are examples making over 700hp still with comp elim heads and flat tappet cam,my turd in the old cab makes enough power to go 8s,its just the driver that isnt up to it yet Cheesy   
what advantages do you see with the 4inch oxyboxer?

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Andy Sykes

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2012, 19:26:29 pm »

Hi riche interfere when ever you like that's why I post to get others opinions Smiley,I know a bit about engines a very small bit lol ( I'm a sparky) the main reason is I started building this a few years back planning on 300 bhp as you can see its gone a bit mad since. I was always worried about over 400 bhp on an 8 dowel. I have been told that will be fine if i wedgemate it but in my silly brain I can't get the idea of the the flywheel coming off. The advantages I can see is smaller crank and stronger case. I may be a bit of a fool but I do like like making things work and trying things. I think my main problem is I did my apprenticeship at BR and they overengineer everything lol

Cheers andy

richie

« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2012, 20:24:47 pm »

I am with you on trying things and making them work,I just like to actually drive it to see if it does before I change my mind again Grin

Yes there are limitations to 8 dowell only cranks,I went that way when it was a nitrous car,I wegemated it when I 1st went turbo,that was about 9 years ago I think,that engine still lives today with the same crank/flywheel and its still on standard size,its had 2 other owners since though.
Mine was still 8 dowelled with wedgemate when it ran the 9.23@152 so it is plenty strong.

The 4inch bore area does give more power potential that 94mm bore,i dont see why you would go smaller on the crank though? the main 2 problems with the 4inch stuff is cost,and availability,its hard enough getting quality parts for 94 bore in a reasonable time scale,4inch seems to take years longer,anyway enough of my ramblings,keep on progressing forward Smiley

cheers richie

BR? british rail? if so that explains why nothing ever gets finished Cheesy

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
dannyboy

« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2012, 20:40:38 pm »

BR? british rail? if so that explains why nothing ever gets finished Cheesy
[/quote]

dont say that he is going to be doing some work on my car tomorrow  Shocked
 Grin

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Andy Sykes

« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2012, 20:58:43 pm »

You pair of wankxxs l Cheesy I do finish things I've got two kids  Cheesy the wife may have another view mind

Richyrich

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2012, 00:03:55 am »

Yer Guys, It was also raining and there was leaf`s on the line,  Grin.. didnt mean it, love this build, keep it up Buddy...
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2012, 07:53:01 am »

With what we know today about clutches the 8 dowels are not a problem. 400 - 500 - 750 hp... I dont think it even matter but hit it with 150hp, a stage 4 and a angry disc and you can easily snap it off. There is a thread here on The Lounge where you can find the calculations on what a dowel/original style crank can take.

Not sure why I wrote this since you have anyway decided to build a new engine and go the WBX route that is so popular today. I think I even spotted one for sale on TheSamba where they called it Type 5 - Oxy  Smiley

Keep feeding us with pictures and comments, it is one of my favourite threads here.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Andy Sykes

« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2012, 19:33:35 pm »

With what we know today about clutches the 8 dowels are not a problem. 400 - 500 - 750 hp... I dont think it even matter but hit it with 150hp, a stage 4 and a angry disc and you can easily snap it off. There is a thread here on The Lounge where you can find the calculations on what a dowel/original style crank can take.

Not sure why I wrote this since you have anyway decided to build a new engine and go the WBX route that is so popular today. I think I even spotted one for sale on TheSamba where they called it Type 5 - Oxy  Smiley

Keep feeding us with pictures and comments, it is one of my favourite threads here.

Best rgs
BB

Cheers thanks I will have a look on the samba Smiley I've done a bit today took most of the day working out we're things are going to and what room I do and don't have in the back

Finish off the brackets I've gone for M22 bolts very OTT but I think they will be ok lol

Tacked the A arms in place

Got this far

Any input would be great about this bit there's a few more tubes to go in yet so I'm happy but will it work?

Somebody left there heap I'm my workshop today if anybody knows who it is before I clamp it lol

Cheers andy

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 19:36:41 pm by fast65 » Logged

dannyboy

« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2012, 20:00:19 pm »

you were supposed to be working on my car  Angry Roll Eyes Grin not welding bits to the neverending story  Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Andy Sykes

« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2012, 20:28:37 pm »

you were supposed to be working on my car  Angry Roll Eyes Grin not welding bits to the neverending story  Cheesy

Your turns tmw you can't expect a sparky to do things straight away lol

thejohn66

« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2012, 22:09:29 pm »

Somebody left there heap I'm my workshop today if anybody knows who it is before I clamp it lol

Cheers andy

[/quote]

If you clamp it Andy you will never get rid. If I was you I would have it towed to the pound Shocked  Smiley

Bitburg motor boating club member.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2012, 22:12:08 pm »

I did try to sell it to a pikey but it weighs fuck all lol

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2012, 22:16:18 pm »

Andy... I don't want to chuck a spanner into your works, but you have asked for input, so I will give you some based on my own experience. Your coilover mounts are way too weedy. By the looks of it, they are 2mm wall section mild still box tubing? On my car I managed to bend 4mm cro-mo brackets, so had to beef right up to 6mm thick lowers and 8mm uppers.

You will need springs somewhere in the region of 600-850lbs looking at the pivot points of your mounts and guessing your car's weight. This is obviously a guess, but that translates to a whole load of energy being transferred to that single bracket on launch. If there's one area you  need to BR (over-engineer) it's these mounts. Trust me Wink

I would also make a lower mount that spreads the energy over at least two of your a-arm tubes, not one as you have it at the mo. Go for good surface area, and you won't bust it Shocked

Regards, Keeno

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Andy Sykes

« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2012, 22:39:56 pm »

Andy... I don't want to chuck a spanner into your works, but you have asked for input, so I will give you some based on my own experience. Your coilover mounts are way too weedy. By the looks of it, they are 2mm wall section mild still box tubing? On my car I managed to bend 4mm cro-mo brackets, so had to beef right up to 6mm thick lowers and 8mm uppers.

You will need springs somewhere in the region of 600-850lbs looking at the pivot points of your mounts and guessing your car's weight. This is obviously a guess, but that translates to a whole load of energy being transferred to that single bracket on launch. If there's one area you  need to BR (over-engineer) it's these mounts. Trust me Wink

I would also make a lower mount that spreads the energy over at least two of your a-arm tubes, not one as you have it at the mo. Go for good surface area, and you won't bust it Shocked

Regards, Keeno

That's great info thanks the top mount was a mock up I did think 4 mm would be so I will be upping that know

Cheer mat Smiley

Andy Sykes

« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2012, 16:54:50 pm »

bit done today ive been looking at the fly wheel ive had made im sure i can get it machined for Flange crank that would save a bit og money lol

fitted the bearing housing and trial fitted the brakes before welding the a arms in place

the wheels are on the will need a 30mm spacer

but they are on ish

cheers andy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 17:01:37 pm by fast65 » Logged

dannyboy

« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2012, 19:04:34 pm »

good work mate did bruce ok the bonnet?

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Andy Sykes

« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2012, 19:46:17 pm »

good work mate did bruce ok the bonnet?

Yes mate it got the Bruce seal of approval  Grin thanks again

Andy Sykes

« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2012, 20:08:52 pm »

Little bit done today made the brackets for the second A arm and tacked in place I need the measure again and check it ok before I mig it in for good Smiley

Finished fitting the air scoops into the pop outs

Cheers andy

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: