The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 18:33:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350742 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 65 race car
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: My 65 race car  (Read 421840 times)
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #330 on: October 15, 2012, 10:30:49 am »

the sump tank and oil cooler must not be in the cockpit.  They need to be boxed in.

And please make sure you box in the oil sump etc really well. A few drops on your slicks and all hell can brake loose.

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Andy Sykes

« Reply #331 on: October 15, 2012, 16:40:09 pm »

Ok,.... that's a F&$kn' amazing work.

cheers thanks Smiley

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
Andy Sykes

« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2012, 16:42:39 pm »

And please make sure you box in the oil sump etc really well. A few drops on your slicks and all hell can brake loose.

-BB-
[/quote]

thats worries me to even a slight leak back there could be a slight issue, so it was d-day today would it fit with 10" slicks the answer is just lol but i still have about5mm i can back space them yet so may well do that yet.

got to adjust this though lol needs to come up a bit good job its only tacked in

so looks like i can start welding it all up for good tmw Smiley

cheers andy

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #333 on: October 15, 2012, 16:55:17 pm »

Sweet  Cool

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Andy Sykes

« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2012, 20:17:49 pm »

Sweet  Cool

Cheers Matt thanks

Spent a few hours today practicing TIG welding using the pedal and then put it to work

As you can see I'm not master at it but happy so far

Andy Sykes

« Reply #335 on: October 17, 2012, 19:14:53 pm »

Just more welding

This TIG welding lark takes some practice lol so if keep going I may get better by the end of the job lol

Cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2012, 14:44:17 pm »

its on the floor woo hoo

next job is making the adjustable top arms to adjust the toe and camber as you can see its about 8 deg a bit over the to lol

pretty happy how its turned out i will have to shorten the drive shafts i wasnt that lucky it was close but not that close

cheers andy

AntLockyer

« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2012, 19:47:26 pm »

Looks great, nice one.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2012, 20:00:56 pm »

With 8 degrees of negative camber, your on the wrong forum. Restowagen for you from now on!  Grin

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
richie

« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2012, 20:09:49 pm »

Andy

why does it have so much camber? surely the porsche it came from didn't have that much? so if you get the geometry the same as the posrche& mount the arms in the same place as the porsche you wont need adjustable ends?  also 2 things that are bothering me looking at all the pics,
1.ride height, what have you done to allow it to increase ride height?  when you add 500lbs of engine and ancillaries its going to be on the floor Shocked
and 2. how are you going to get a header in there? the point were 1&3 tubes come out of the heads looks like its going straight into the suspension arms?

it was difficult enough on mine to get those 2 tubes out,needing to actually go through the suspension,around the cv & hub and then underneath Shocked and mine has much more room around it that yours.

I like the fact you are thinking so outside the box Smiley     but there are somethings that just have to be done the conventional way,the exhaust port is on the end of the head so it has to come out there Wink Grin

Can you put a front wing on for me please? I want to see how it looks with that front suspension, thanks

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Andy Sykes

« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2012, 20:14:44 pm »

With 8 degrees of negative camber, your on the wrong forum. Restowagen for you from now on!  Grin

Fuck and I'm keeping the trim I'm on a downward slope lol

Andy Sykes

« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2012, 20:32:25 pm »

Hi Ritchie

Thanks for your comments keep them coming I have tried to think of as match as I can lol

Andy

why does it have so much camber? surely the porsche it came from didn't have that much? so if you get the geometry the same as the posrche& mount the arms in the same place as the porsche you wont need adjustable ends?  also 2 things that are bothering me looking at all the pics

It would be a waste of time doing so as I want the rear end to be completely adjustable so the 8 deg of neg camber at the moment is as far as it can go at this height I also will be making the new arms to get rid of the rubber bushings to get zero toe change
1.ride height, what have you done to allow it to increase ride height?  when you add 500lbs of engine and ancillaries its going to be on the floor Shocked

I have some laser cut parts coming I need to weld in place for height adjustment

and 2. how are you going to get a header in there? the point were 1&3 tubes come out of the heads looks like its going straight into the suspension arms?

It will fit there's loads do room Smiley those arm taper in at an angle

it was difficult enough on mine to get those 2 tubes out,needing to actually go through the suspension,around the cv & hub and then underneath Shocked and mine has much more room around it that yours.

I like the fact you are thinking so outside the box Smiley     but there are somethings that just have to be done the conventional way,the exhaust port is on the end of the head so it has to come out there Wink Grin

But that's too easy what would I think about at night lol

Can you put a front wing on for me please? I want to see how it looks with that front suspension, thanks

I sure will when I get them back from the guy making the front air dam I do have some standard ones I could try though

cheers richie

Cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2012, 21:19:56 pm »

Looks great, nice one.

Cheers thanks Smiley

richie

« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2012, 22:47:09 pm »

Are you getting ex flanges from pauter with your engine? I think they are cut for 2inch primaries so that will be your header size,the radius on a 2inch tube is big and you need 2-3 inches of straight coming out of the exhaust port so how close is that going to put the header to the suspension arms? it may just be an optical illusion looking at your pics so I hope you are right but it looks really tight to me.

Why couldnt you get the ride height and camber correct already,is there something in the way preventing it? I understand wanting to build in some adjustability but surely you need to have it close to start with?

Suggestion:
A longer coilover would proberly help the ride height issue Smiley

cheers richie

A stock wing on the front just to see would be perfect,thanks Smiley 

Andy Sykes

« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2012, 09:00:00 am »

Hi Riche it is going to be tight i have about 8 " i moved the suspension about that much to get 0 camber at ride height i couldnt land were i wanted to yes in the ideal world setting as close to 0 would be good but its no big problem the GT3 runs a slight camber not 8 deg though lol and yes longer coil over would be a better solution i may stick with that idea. As to a picture with stock wings ive weled th holes up so cant fit one lol but this is with the CSP wider wings, with a stock wing the wheel is in the standard position i.e not tucked

cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #345 on: October 19, 2012, 16:21:17 pm »

started on making the adjustable tie rods today a trip to the bearing shop for these

machine up a housing

just eight more to make now lol

cheers andy

richie

« Reply #346 on: October 19, 2012, 16:35:05 pm »

Hi Riche it is going to be tight i have about 8 " i moved the suspension about that much to get 0 camber at ride height i couldnt land were i wanted to yes in the ideal world setting as close to 0 would be good but its no big problem the GT3 runs a slight camber not 8 deg though lol and yes longer coil over would be a better solution i may stick with that idea. As to a picture with stock wings ive weled th holes up so cant fit one lol but this is with the CSP wider wings, with a stock wing the wheel is in the standard position i.e not tucked

cheers andy

I am a little confused,are you setting this up for drag racing or circuit racing?

thanks for the pics with the wings on,so it is the same width front track as stock?

cheers richie

Fiatdude

« Reply #347 on: October 19, 2012, 16:49:34 pm »

Andy -- Absolutely fantasic build --- You have gone far out of the box and it looks great --May I suggest some additional small gussets on the tie rod ends -- just a little something something to keep the end to the shaft

Harold

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Andy Sykes

« Reply #348 on: October 19, 2012, 18:36:58 pm »

cheers andy

I am a little confused,are you setting this up for drag racing or circuit racing?

thanks for the pics with the wings on,so it is the same width front track as stock?

cheers richie

Drifting is my new plan

Cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #349 on: October 19, 2012, 18:38:35 pm »

Andy -- Absolutely fantasic build --- You have gone far out of the box and it looks great --May I suggest some additional small gussets on the tie rod ends -- just a little something something to keep the end to the shaft

Harold

Cheers thanks for comments Smiley and yes that's  a good plan adding the gussets it's now a job on the list

Cheers andy

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #350 on: October 19, 2012, 18:43:19 pm »

Why are you using axial bearings? Wouldent normal heimjoints be better prepared for the pulling/pushing forces?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #351 on: October 19, 2012, 18:55:54 pm »

I saw it as there will be more axle/torsional load more than tensile  load ?

Cheers andy
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 19:29:33 pm by fast65 » Logged

Andy Sykes

« Reply #352 on: October 19, 2012, 19:51:57 pm »

You've got me thinking so thanks  Grin I think I will add a radial bearing as well in the middle of the two axle bearings that should cover it Smiley

Cheers andy

fastbus

« Reply #353 on: October 19, 2012, 21:08:36 pm »

Hi Andy,

man, you have put some serious time in to that baby. You must have a very understanding missus.
I'm looking forward to seeing this on the track and in the pits at sometime in the future!

Inspirational work at its best!

Good luck with it fella!

13.66@102mph in my old T3 crew cab builders truck!
13.01@109mph in my bug so far!
Andy Sykes

« Reply #354 on: October 20, 2012, 17:07:14 pm »

Hi Andy,

man, you have put some serious time in to that baby. You must have a very understanding missus.
I'm looking forward to seeing this on the track and in the pits at sometime in the future!

Inspirational work at its best!

Good luck with it fella!

Cheers thanks very much, most of the time the wife has no idea what I'm doing at work, I only give the game away when I come home with holes in my clothes and smelling of burning lol

Cheers andy

Andy Sykes

« Reply #355 on: October 20, 2012, 17:14:00 pm »

Not much achieved today I went tool shopping not done that for while but it will save me time on the build so I don't have square all the cuts up now Smiley

Makes a nice cut Smiley

Blanks are all ready to make the rod ends

And I can also use it upright when you have fitted the table that's going to very useful when I come to make the header Smiley

I've been thinking about the thrust bearing I got and think I would be better using conical bearings I think that will cover all angles

Cheers Andy

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #356 on: October 20, 2012, 18:16:12 pm »

I have been thinking too, Since these arms are not parallell I think you will get binding with normal bearings. Heimjoints still looks like the solution to me. Nice saw!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #357 on: October 20, 2012, 18:29:26 pm »

Hi the reason I don't think the helm joints will work is, if you imagine the hub in front of you the helm joint will allow movement left to right and right to left, the arms move in an arc as you know I don't think there is any side wards movement, and there is also no whiteness marks on the rubber bushes showing that, that's why after you pointed out maybe not just an axle force I think conical it works for wheels lol

Cheers andy

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #358 on: October 20, 2012, 18:57:17 pm »

cheers andy

Andy, they are thrust bearings and cant take any side loading, they can only support axial pressure.

A Rose joint or Helm Joint is whats needed in this application.

Martin

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Andy Sykes

« Reply #359 on: October 20, 2012, 19:04:13 pm »

Thanks for your replies but I still can't get out of my head if I use hell joint on the top two arms it will then move from side to side

Or am I over thinking it ?

Also the joints on the bottom to the hub are not fixed they are ball type joints

Cheers andy
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 19:09:08 pm by fast65 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: