The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:38:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Small powerhouses and old school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Small powerhouses and old school  (Read 660102 times)
Neil Davies

« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2008, 21:39:26 pm »

48's are never too much! Wink

Seriously, I'm guessing that they're choked down quite a bit, but this is obviously no ordinary 1600!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2008, 10:07:17 am »

Small engines need "big" carbs to breath efficiently when you want the higher revs, more so than lager engines.

This is just something I have heard and seen, but can anyone explain why? 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
airstuff

« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2008, 13:08:44 pm »

where can I get those JE pistons,I need 88mm ones. Huh
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2008, 17:20:23 pm »

Drop Johannes a line, he can hook you up with the pistons you need..
kormi

« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2008, 19:01:28 pm »

Nice work Johannes! Looking forward to see the dyno-pull  Cheesy

Boost it...
Udo

« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2008, 20:49:26 pm »

where can I get those JE pistons,I need 88mm ones. Huh

I still have some 88,5 pistons for sale . They where made by Wahl , a company that makes racing pistond for mahle . Very strong and lightweight . Their are only a view miles on them . Kompression height is the same as the 90,5 x 82

Udo

Billyisgr8

« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2008, 04:19:15 am »

This is awsome, great job I am a fan of a mouse motor and will follow this closely, I would have really loved to have seen you do this with a singleport.  I see you are using non counterweighted crankshaft.  How balanced were you able to get the crankshaft down too without the counterweights?

Here is something for you singleport fans.

Kevin

cbigpwr

« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2008, 07:28:14 am »

tell me about this for small powerhouse! 101cu.in.

Hello all, I'm Anthony and I work @ Heads Up Performance. I've been working with Taylor for "way too long" on this small motor project. The object was to try to run a bug competively in NHRA SS/CC again. Well, they moved the class to Modified Stock and renamed it SS/FS. Same weight break and rules, so we didn't get too bummed. Taylor is using a 1967 sedan, so it will have the Klingamann, Mike Smith look, my all time favorite drag cars.
  The motor is going to be a 94x60, Aluminium rods, roller cam, custom everything 101 inch. The heads are "highly modified" 044 castings with Heads Up/ Componant Development 1.8:1 rockers. I don't even want to think how much time I have in these little babies. They just hit the bench the other day, 250 CFM @.700 @ 25" on our Super Flow 600 bench. The valve are 45x36 with really small chambers. Getting compression is really hard on this motor.
  We are going to fire the motor up on 48 idf carbs first, and maybe run it down the track, but then switch to fuel injection after. I can't wait to finish this motor. I've been thinking about this kind of combo for aboiut 10 years, then Taylor came along. He had the same kind of ideas and want to run in NHRA again, so we kind of pooled our thoughts and hopefully the thing runs good enough to make a good showing for VW's in the door car catagories again.
  More to come later...

Anthony Chicca    Heads Up Performance
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:37:07 am by cbigpwr » Logged
Tom G.

« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2008, 11:32:27 am »

"It's alive!!! Moahahahahaaa

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VPVqYRrQBA0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/VPVqYRrQBA0</a>

Oh what a great result...i still know what my next project is:-)) it sounds like a high rev. motorcycle engine....if i see these low weights of flywheel and pistons.. wow..i am speechless..

Regards
Tom
Johannes Persson

« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2008, 14:19:19 pm »

Hi Torben,

Sorry I missed your question.

The I/E ratio is about 78%, if you go back in the thread you will find the flow numbers from 2-16mm lift.

Best regards
Johannes
Frallan

« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2008, 15:28:34 pm »

Hello everyone,

I posted this on a thread at STF.
I think Johannes is timid......look what he already did with his 1915 cc. Never did he mention this yet, so I do. It is on the JPM website under movies.
Listen to it and believe him, it runs and stays together. It is used on the street too.

Frallan

http://www.jpmotorsport.se/

1915 cc close to 250 hp at 9500 rpm.
4 Mikuni carburators.
Soon Motec FI and more HP, if I am to believe him.
Just listen to it and anyone who has riden this car ( I havent) says that the car is streetable and has lowdown torque. I dont get it but why not?

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2008, 16:31:43 pm »

How balanced were you able to get the crankshaft down too without the counterweights?

You can balance a crank with or without counterweights. Think about it... when counterweights are added, there is 2 put on each "side" of the crank...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
cameron shorey

« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2008, 17:39:07 pm »

Hello all, I'm Anthony and I work @ Heads Up Performance. I've been working with Taylor for "way too long" on this small motor project. The object was to try to run a bug competively in NHRA SS/CC again. Well, they moved the class to Modified Stock and renamed it SS/FS. Same weight break and rules, so we didn't get too bummed. Taylor is using a 1967 sedan, so it will have the Klingamann, Mike Smith look, my all time favorite drag cars.
  The motor is going to be a 94x60, Aluminium rods, roller cam, custom everything 101 inch. The heads are "highly modified" 044 castings with Heads Up/ Componant Development 1.8:1 rockers. I don't even want to think how much time I have in these little babies. They just hit the bench the other day, 250 CFM @.700 @ 25" on our Super Flow 600 bench. The valve are 45x36 with really small chambers. Getting compression is really hard on this motor.
  We are going to fire the motor up on 48 idf carbs first, and maybe run it down the track, but then switch to fuel injection after. I can't wait to finish this motor. I've been thinking about this kind of combo for aboiut 10 years, then Taylor came along. He had the same kind of ideas and want to run in NHRA again, so we kind of pooled our thoughts and hopefully the thing runs good enough to make a good showing for VW's in the door car catagories again.
  More to come later...

Hi Anthony,
I'm curious. What is the reason for the 1" x 1" bar welded along the bottom of that head? And what are going to do for valve covers? 
I like the idea of going to 48 IDF footprint EFI. Much more compact.

Horsepower, reliability, cheap... pick two.
Billyisgr8

« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2008, 20:45:03 pm »

How balanced were you able to get the crankshaft down too without the counterweights?

You can balance a crank with or without counterweights. Think about it... when counterweights are added, there is 2 put on each "side" of the crank...

Can you get the same tolorance in grams with or without counterweights, or can you balance to a smaller gram with counterweights,  is maybe the way I should have worded the question.

Kevin
Johannes Persson

« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2008, 20:48:31 pm »

Hello Frallan,

Thank you for your nice words.
The dynopull on my homepage made to 9500rpm is the first version of my 1915 project.
It produced 224hp/8400rpm, today the same engine with some more R&D to it produce 246hp/8900rpm
and keeps good power till 9500rpm.It will be equipped with Motec and my F1 roller throttle bodies for this season, I hope.

Sorry for taking a side step.

Regards
Johannes

Bruce

« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2008, 05:28:30 am »

Can you get the same tolorance in grams with or without counterweights, or can you balance to a smaller gram with counterweights,  is maybe the way I should have worded the question.
Any VW crank can be balanced to 0.0000000g of imbalance.  The size of the counterweight has nothing to do with the balancing job.  The counterweight helps prevents flexing of the crank.  The ideal counterweight for a VW crank is much heavier than is physically possible.  In other words, they are never big enough.
Fast Bug

« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2008, 14:16:11 pm »

Any VW crank can be balanced to 0.0000000g of imbalance.  The size of the counterweight has nothing to do with the balancing job.  The counterweight helps prevents flexing of the crank.  The ideal counterweight for a VW crank is much heavier than is physically possible.  In other words, they are never big enough.

That's true, I couldn't have said it better
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 14:24:13 pm by Fast Bug » Logged
cbigpwr

« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2008, 17:21:55 pm »

More to come later...

Hi Anthony,
I'm curious. What is the reason for the 1" x 1" bar welded along the bottom of that head? And what are going to do for valve covers? 
I like the idea of going to 48 IDF footprint EFI. Much more compact.

That is the unfinished valve cover rail. It will be profiled later. We will be running either the Autocraft cast valve covers, or a light-weight sheet metal version. Haven't decided yet. The IDF carb is the "Bastard Child" of the Weber line-up. Properly modified they can flow MORE than a 48 IDA. The only way an IDA can beat it is by boring it bigger. But even an IDF can be bored to 50mm. The manifold package of the IDF is also superior to the IDA. It has a straighter shot. No bends equal more flow. Plus the IDF has a better idle circut. To Many pluses for the IDF, I wish they still made them. With that said, I think the injection will still run better than the IDF. More power under the curve=better E.T.s  Hopefully!

Udo

« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2008, 18:41:16 pm »

Are these the new style Autocraft rockers ?

Udo

richie

« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2008, 19:25:39 pm »

Are these the new style Autocraft rockers ?

Udo

Udo,it meantions in the first post by Anthony they are component devolopement 1.8/1 rockers Smiley

cheers  richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Udo

« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2008, 09:20:47 am »

Hi Richie

Autocraft has 1.8 i think  Smiley

Udo

cbigpwr

« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2008, 17:04:05 pm »

Hi Richie

Autocraft has 1.8 i think  Smiley

Udo

Same rockers. They are Componant Development rockers. They are the company that makes the heads and rockers. Roger @ Heads Up and Mike @ Autocraft are parteners on the progect (put the money up for the project). Both Heads Up and Autocraft sell the same parts. We have heads, rockers (1.55, 1.7, and 1.Cool valve covers. Manifolds are coming soon.

These rockers change the geometry of the pushrod in relation to the lifter. The pushrod and the lifter are now straight in-line. I don't think this motor (Taylors 1600) would be so sucessful if it wasn't for these rockers. As you cut the lenghth of the motor down (bring the head closer to the case) this angle on the pushrod gets more extreme.

Anthony  Heads Up Performance
Casey

« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2008, 18:26:00 pm »

Sshhhheeeessshhhhh Anthony, I never saw those babies over there! How long do build a duplicate set? 1 week? Come on I know you can pull it off! This will be the second time.  Wink Grin. You da man! I'm VERY close by the way. Going in on Fri. Later Casey.

DKP III
Project_X

« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2008, 04:56:12 am »

That motor is awesome.When I first got my bug I was asking about possibilities of building a 1600cc in stock bore/stroke form but I was told it would be a waste of time,build a stroker or go home...
I love the fact these motors can rev high.I like that part, but how reliable are they with the new technology?I read this whole thread, and seen that back then they grenaded after a certain amount of time but was that with just strictly racing them?If I was to build or attempt to build one, it would be a daily driver for me so would that be bad or good?I like the idea of a high strung 1600cc with 10:1 cr, capable of reving to at least 7k.Id be happy if it made 110-130hp , after all these are small mouse motors.Would they be as quick as the strokers being they have less torque?Sorry about all the questions I'm just really curious about thinking outside the box since I dont get along well inside the box... Grin

Thinking outside the box? hmm...I dont wanna play in the box no more, so Im stepping out for a while..
Aircooled for a reason, waters for boats!
Project_X

« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2008, 17:15:52 pm »

Can you guys tell me what its costing you guys to build a mouse motor?I'd be happy with around 110-120hp out a 1600,1641,1679.High revs sound cool to me..LOL

Thinking outside the box? hmm...I dont wanna play in the box no more, so Im stepping out for a while..
Udo

« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2008, 19:18:21 pm »

Can you guys tell me what its costing you guys to build a mouse motor?I'd be happy with around 110-120hp out a 1600,1641,1679.High revs sound cool to me..LOL

An engine like this would be not so expensive . 110-120 hp is easy to get . Depends on what new parts you want , case , heads ..

Udo

Project_X

« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2008, 06:30:20 am »

An engine like this would be not so expensive . 110-120 hp is easy to get . Depends on what new parts you want , case , heads ..

Udo

I was told it would be a waste of time an money, is this true?Also I notice you guys use lightweight parts, Ive looked a few up like Jet rods,7lb flywheels, there really pricey.Can I get away with a 12lb flywheel,lightweight lifters, and whatever else I can get on a budget.

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2008, 09:32:14 am »

To get 120 horses you don't need a single lightweight part. You can get away with stock rods and a Mahle 94mm cylinder kit. What you do need is a pair of nice heads in combination with a good cam.  Cool

I forgot to mention that I was talking about a 1915, or a "non stroker"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:03:03 am by JHU » Logged

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Udo

« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2008, 20:15:50 pm »

To get 120 horses you don't need a single lightweight part. You can get away with stock rods and a Mahle cylinder kit. What you do need is a pair of nice heads in combination with a good cam.  Cool

That is all !! You are right Jon

Udo

Project_X

« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2008, 03:19:09 am »

Yup Ive been told many times its all in the heads, but was just curious.Whats it costing on average to build these little mouse motors(ie 1600,1603,1641,1679,1699)?Trying my best to stay on topic (sorry, Im just amazed about these little mouse motors)but from what your saying I can build any of those sizes up to 110-120hp.Also Ive read posts before that these motors dont make enough power to move until after 4000rpms, I hope thats not true because I want one of these for a street motor.Thinking maybe 40IDF's,FK8 cam with 1.4:1 rockers, 1.5" merged header, 044 heads from CB Performance, and some type of ignition.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: