The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:01:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  valve clearance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: valve clearance  (Read 3324 times)
Garrick Clark

« on: July 26, 2012, 21:38:10 pm »

Hi guys,just done a top end rebuild on a 1914 engine.engine had various top end  problems,anyway just set the valve clearances and found a problem.on setting number 3 valve clearance the zero clearance way with the push rods spinning,when i rotate the engine clockwise 180 (BDC) ready to set number 2 clearances the number 3 inlet valve now has .008 clearance.I think it could be a follower or cam lobe problem.cheers for any replies to this
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 22:10:35 pm by GARRICK.CLARK » Logged

Air cooled Engine builder
Mike Lawless

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 00:38:49 am »

Most likely it is simply cam flex.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Airspeed

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 15:18:04 pm »

Most likely it is simply cam flex.
Just from 'stationairy' spring pressure turning the cam by hand?

I have noticed what you experience also, whether webcam, engle or EMW and already when new...
If your setting valve clearence when the lifter is at the opposite side of the lobe and your experiencing this, basically it means the base circle of the cam isn't exactly in the middle of the centerbore of the cam... or its indeed cam flex as Mike says?

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Garrick Clark

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 21:50:25 pm »

Hi guys,I'm going to strip this unknown build quality bottom end and have a look.I'm just not happy with the way the valve clearance increases as the engine rotates,the valve clearance shouldn't be increasing like it is.if i set the clearances at say .004 at  TDC for any of the 4 cylinders that should be the biggest clearance number i get in 1 full revolution.I'll report back if i find anything.

Thanks for the replies
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 22:05:51 pm by GARRICK.CLARK » Logged

Airspeed

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:25:24 am »

If i set the clearances at say .004 at  TDC for any of the 4 cylinders that should be the biggest clearance number i get in 1 full revolution.
Not neccesarily: Long duration cams are not set clearance by putting the cylinder at TDC. Thats for stock cammed engines...
You just may have one of those 'sporty' cams in there  Wink

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:42:29 am »

valve clearance shouldn't be increasing like it is.if i set the clearances at say .004 at  TDC for any of the 4 cylinders that should be the biggest clearance number i get in 1 full revolution.
I adjusted many different, new and used, aftermarket cams and all of them did that.
richie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:29:18 am »

valve clearance shouldn't be increasing like it is.if i set the clearances at say .004 at  TDC for any of the 4 cylinders that should be the biggest clearance number i get in 1 full revolution.
I adjusted many different, new and used, aftermarket cams and all of them did that.

Me too,and I have never worried about it,if its set at zero at TDC,lifts what it should still at full lift then for me it is good

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Garrick Clark

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 23:12:03 pm »

Ok cheers guys.Right well av split this unknown qualility bottom end down.Good Job Really.Cant say that i found any cam related problems,looks like a new cam kit.but the oil hole in the  bearing behind the front pully is bunged up with swarf,also bolted the case halves back together,cant see any day light between the saddles but the saddle behind the pully is bad.on 1 and 2 case half theres a good crush fit.On number 3 and 4 case half the bearing drops in and wiggles about.gunna get the crank looked at to as when i drop just the crank in the case with just a couple of bearings installed, and torque the main 6 its going tight.  wtf

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: