Good news...... or bad news

(1/3) > >>

Turtle001:
FULLY POLISHED EMPI STYLE 5 SPOKE ALUMINUM WHEEL - 5.5 INCH WIDE X 15 INCH DIA. - 5X205MM PATTERN WITH CENTER CAP

"We have found a new supplier for the well know Empi style 5 and 8 spoke wheels. These wheel are closer to the original Empi wheels made in the 60's. The current American eagle wheel made in the USA are a poorer quality mass produced wheel with very old tooling, making for a lower quality finished product. We import these wheels from Europe and they are newly tooled and machined to the highest quality. These wheels do cost a little more, but they are worth every penny. Unlike the USA wheels, we can offer these new wheels in the the 5x112mm Bus - Vanagon wheel pattern."

is this good news or bad news?

Gregor/DFL:
For me-itīs definetly bad news somehow.
Supllier for this wheel is midland wheel supplies (MWS) in UK. They made the copy of the 5 spoke without the bolted center cap now for a several years, in quiet good quality. They look almost similar to the American Wheel ones.
This type is still existing at midland wheel supplies, they just launched the other version a a 2nd style of the same basic wheel.
Check it out at:
http://www.midlandwheels.com/

Well, I ordered my wheel set a few months ago at Custom & Speed Parts in Germany - they are the official dealer for MWS wheels in Germany.
Unfortuanetly I bought the "non-bolt" style to get the infomation that the "bolt" one is available two weeks later... :P
Reason was that MWS didnīt inform the dealers in Europe so CSP was surprised as I was.

Coming to "Repro vs. Original" in general:
I love the original and vintage Empi 5 spokes, but I wouldnīt dare to mount them on a street car due to the danger of cracks.
So I think itīs OK to run wide 5 repros on street cars concerning "safety issues".
For a car mainly running on 1/4 mile I would always prefer original if possible/available.

Frank LUX:
Quote from: Gregor/DFL on March 30, 2006, 10:21:32 am

For a car mainly running on 1/4 mile I would always prefer original if possible/available.

Hmmm,

I would NEVER race an O.G. Empi 5 Spoke on the 1/4 Mile....

Way to risky in my opinion...If it lets go at Top Speed.... :o :o :o

Frank

Gregor/DFL:
So that means:

Vintage Empi 5 spokes only for deco purposes ???

Or running vintage Empi 5s on the street with a max of 30 km/h-real cruiser alike :-\

Jon:
I'm with you Frank...

What I would do is test the wheels for cracks, to make sure.
And if they are in good condition I would use them on the street... carefully....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page