The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 23:47:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350768 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  help required please...engine problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: help required please...engine problems  (Read 1901 times)
surf monkey

« on: November 29, 2009, 22:21:26 pm »

My sons `72 1300tp recently broke a ring...at the time he ran out of petrol, managed to limp into a garage...phoned me and said it wouldn`t start...i shot over to the garage and he`d flooded it...got it started and he went to pull away , lost power...i lifted the lid and there was oil everywhere, it was coming out of the dipstick tube...i pretty much new it was ring so i got it stripped down and it was #3 barrell....replaced all the rings, gave the engine a really good clean inside and out...put it back in, rebuilt the carb and replaced everything...at first we had trouble firing it up, timing issues but we got round those and it fires ok and sounds quite good.... but...i noticed as it warmed up a lot of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust on the left hand side as you look at it, 3 and 4, and black `water` started dripping quite badly from the exhaust and the joint from the heat exchanger to the exhaust...any ideas would be greatfully received
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:24:18 am »

First thoughts: black 'water' is in fact fuel/oil mix. Has a needle valve stuck, flooding the engine? If that is the case, then you will suffer from bore wash, removing all oil from cylinder walls and can wipe out a new set of rings in just minutes (I know - it took 10 minutes on a dyno once...). Or maybe the broken ring damaged the cylinder? Did you 'glaze bust' (hone) the cylinders or just throw in new rings? New rings will struggle to bed in to glazed cylinders. Just my 2c...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
surf monkey

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:28:46 am »

the fluid is not very oily if that makes sense and doesn`t smell very fuelly if that makes sense too...if a needle valve was stuck wouldn`t it affect both sides of the engine...the cylinders were cleaned before going back ....what would you suggest to `fix` the problem
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 13:30:33 pm »

Pulling it apart and doing it again, checking all is OK. I can't really see any other way. It could be that the new rings simply haven't bedded in yet, but somehow I think it's more than that.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
surf monkey

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 13:36:28 pm »

i think thats what i`d decided...how easy is it to get one side off while the motors still in the car lol...
Speed-Randy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 16:52:20 pm »

Not nearly as easy as pulling the engine

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: