The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:13:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  KS, you're a magazine guy, what if EVO or CAR were to drive a fast street VW?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: KS, you're a magazine guy, what if EVO or CAR were to drive a fast street VW?  (Read 11528 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: May 20, 2008, 16:32:17 pm »

Hi Keith,

is the earth really flat?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:26:25 am by Jim Ratto » Logged
outlaw

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 16:59:07 pm »

It would be nice to see the VW magazines test drive some of the cars. Classic and Sportscar do drive the cars they feature and it makes for good reading.
Granted you don´t want to read about every single one featured but a few would be nice, especially the hot ones but I can also see the complications involved with this, which ones do you choose, 1/4 mile cars built with the strip in mind, restocal built for cruising, stockers which we all know how they drive.

I guess if there were more "street cars" then yes it would work well. 0-60 times, cruising and top speed info etc.

EVO & CAR would be impressed with a 200bhp bug for sure but its more a hot rod home brew creation and not a factory "hotty"
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 17:10:34 pm »

I think if one of the "other" mags were to just do one feature on the history of hot rodding street VW's and were to select 3 of the top cars (NOT show-only cars, but cars that really worked), it would open a lot of automotive eyes. Classic and Sports Car are always doing features on "groups" of cars, sometimes comparison, other times just similar cars put together for driving impressions. It would be cool for some Brits to turn keys over to the magazine, and let them have a go. Who cares about 0-60..etc., let's just scare the pants off those vintage Jaguar guys.  Grin
Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 17:20:02 pm »

Interesting topic.  I saw a commercial on Speed channel the other day that was titled 101 cars you must drive before you die.  I was thinking just the same thing.  What if they got in a 200 HP VW of today and drove that.  I wonder what they would think.  What an eye opener that would be.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 17:29:16 pm »

.... or even take some other popular car (from the past) that was sorely underpowered in its original form, but due to a cult following, found some gearhead fans that doubled, tripled the factory HP and THEN pit that against a true Cal Look Bug.

There must be some DKW 2-stroke thing that guys have hot rodded into some fire breathing hill climb bomb or something,  right?
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 17:46:01 pm »

(NOT show-only cars, but cars that really worked)

The key words...cars that really worked.  I once asked a certain magazine writer who has photographed and written about VW's if he ever actually drove any of the cars he'd written about and what he thought of the ones he had.  He said a lot of the cars had "issues"....a poor engine combination, hard to shift, flat spots, low brakes, etc.  Most of us can screw a car together, but getting it to really work is the hard part of the deal.

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 18:01:38 pm »

I would like to see one of the TV shows, like the Power Block shows, do a hot VW. Not one of these slap it together in a week things, but coverage of a real build.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 18:06:25 pm »

Just curious how an article about "driving" a hot rodded VW would read....    Keith?
Peter Roberts

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 18:30:37 pm »

The key words...cars that really worked.  I once asked a certain magazine writer who has photographed and written about VW's if he ever actually drove any of the cars he'd written about and what he thought of the ones he had.  He said a lot of the cars had "issues"....a poor engine combination, hard to shift, flat spots, low brakes, etc.  Most of us can screw a car together, but getting it to really work is the hard part of the deal.

All our club cars ( when running , ha ha ) , drive , corner , brake , shift , exactly how they should , everything works . I wouldn't hesitate to jump in one and drive 300 miles .

But yes Sarge you are right , it is the hard part of the deal , I have had many cars in , not built by myself , that drive horribly , enough that would put you off using them .

As for what EVO would think , mmm , I read that mag every month , not sure , they are really into cars that handle .
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 19:37:41 pm »

I took my friend Robert Coucher, who edits Octane magazine, out in the chop-top a few years ago, and he still talks about how I got it sideways from a standing start etc.

I had my Carrera tested by Evo a few years ago, too, and they are more open-minded than many car mags, but would still expect a car to go round corners as fast as they go in a straight line. Mind you, I went out with their editor in a Lamborghini Urraco once and it was truly horrible (and he admitted it), but he still wrote a glowing report. Go figure…

I guess the bottom line is it's kinda difficult to be really positive about a highly modified car. Our cars don't handle (sorry Pete, but they don't – not compared to a modern car of equivalent performance) and often the brakes are 'lacking'. They are fun but, if we are honest, were/are never intended to be comparable to a modern 'box'. And that, after all, is what most mags are going to compare them to.

The bottom line is, screw what other people/magazines think – we do what we want. And if they don't understand, tough. Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 19:45:49 pm »

The bottom line is, screw what other people/magazines think – we do what we want. And if they don't understand, tough. Smiley

you should write for fortune cookie companies

I know, for the most part, VW Beetles handle like crap (another of the reasons I lost interest a few years back, after being spoiled by my WRX), but which car that originated in the 1930's wouldn't? I betcha those guys that write for Octane, Car... etc have had the bowels scared out of them piloting an Auto Union or a GP Mercedes from the same era. Early 356's can't be much better! You even read the occasional scathing of the early 911's after guys tried their luck with lifting throttle in a corner....
I just think, outside of our small circle, other auto aficionado guys don't take VW modifying very seriously.... which kind of sucks. They don't get how much work goes into and has gone into making a mouse into a monster (and how close a realtive the meek VW is to the mighty Porsches).

Oh well, that's what stoplight bashings are for.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 19:58:31 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
deano

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 21:31:16 pm »

Most of the VWs I have shot over the years, were not "available" for a test drive/ride. However, I have certainly enjoyed the VWs that I have driven or rode in. Ask Conklin about the time I was driving his car, and I passed him on the side of the road at 7000 rpm in third gear!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
alfie the monster

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 21:37:02 pm »

All our club cars ( when running , ha ha ) , drive , corner , brake , shift , exactly how they should , everything works . I wouldn't hesitate to jump in one and drive 300 miles .

But yes Sarge you are right , it is the hard part of the deal , I have had many cars in , not built by myself , that drive horribly , enough that would put you off using them .

As for what EVO would think , mmm , I read that mag every month , not sure , they are really into cars that handle .

Do you remember the journo from Practical Classics after I took him out in mine?  Cheesy

His article was full of superlatives when he wrote it, shame he couldn't manage 2 words when he got out the car...

JG54 Grunherz
Sarge

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 22:47:02 pm »

Do you remember the journo from Practical Classics after I took him out in mine?  Cheesy

His article was full of superlatives when he wrote it, shame he couldn't manage 2 words when he got out the car...

He was probably choking on tire smoke Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 00:10:34 am by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
alfie the monster

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 22:51:25 pm »

Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Prowagen

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 00:04:04 am »

I know this isn't a german look forum, but I would love to see a non VW mag or a program like top gear do a feature on Eddie Remmele's Beetle, 3lt type 4 power and has beaten a BMW M3 CSL and a Porsche GT3 around the Hockenheim ring! He said he is so board of racing other cars he has taken to harrasing raced prepped superbikes lol.
He said his customers are normally 911, lambo or Ferrari driving executives, who used to own a beetle as a student, and now want a beetle to perform as their super car does, if I had the money I would be straight on to him to build me a car!

A truely remarkable man and his work is fantastic, a few of us spent a day with him and I have nothing but utter respect for him.

Rob.
deano

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 04:00:12 am »

Thinking about this idea some more... Once you have test driven one fast, carburetored sedan, how else do you describe the power? Fast, comes on hard at 4500, pulls like gang-busters up to 6000, falls on its face after 6500.... Loud? Don't get me wrong, I like the overall idea, but after a few 12-second sedans, might be hard to call the differences...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 14:53:12 pm »

always thought it would be fun to challange Clarkson to a drag race, he can pick what ever piston driven car he want...... might make good TV.

it would make me smile.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
streetvw

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 18:29:37 pm »

always thought it would be fun to challange Clarkson to a drag race, he can pick what ever piston driven car he want...... might make good TV.

it would make me smile.

that would make for some great TV  Cool
67worshipper

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 20:57:10 pm »

the best write up ive seen lately on an actual driven beetle was in the last cal look edition of volksworld.Tim C wrote about his experience of driving Ivan McCutcheons famous 67 to VW Action the previous year after his car was sidelined.I found it very interesting.Two similar cars but different beasts to drive.there needs to be more write ups like this.The only problem i see is the obvious spending of thousands on your own car then letting someone else rag the tits off it Grin

vw hot rod heaven
Peter Roberts

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 00:00:29 am »

I took my friend Robert Coucher, who edits Octane magazine, out in the chop-top a few years ago, and he still talks about how I got it sideways from a standing start etc.

I had my Carrera tested by Evo a few years ago, too, and they are more open-minded than many car mags, but would still expect a car to go round corners as fast as they go in a straight line. Mind you, I went out with their editor in a Lamborghini Urraco once and it was truly horrible (and he admitted it), but he still wrote a glowing report. Go figure…

I guess the bottom line is it's kinda difficult to be really positive about a highly modified car. Our cars don't handle (sorry Pete, but they don't – not compared to a modern car of equivalent performance) and often the brakes are 'lacking'. They are fun but, if we are honest, were/are never intended to be comparable to a modern 'box'. And that, after all, is what most mags are going to compare them to.

No , I agree , they don't handle , not in the way that real handling means . For sure you can get them to corner pretty well , and stop well a couple of times in succession . But not even remotely in the same fashion as a M3 CSL .

A perfect example of this , is how people reacted when Gold65 Turbo , beat the girl in the newish 911 at Santa Pod . All the old car crowd thought it was great ( which it was ) , but on the ' Piston-heads ' site , which is aimed at , and read by more ' EVO-ish ' type of readers , it got a less enthusiastic reaction , with lots of ' yeah , well lets see it get round a track , or drive to the South Of France ' type of reaction .

Horses for courses I think .
Tim C

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »

the best write up ive seen lately on an actual driven beetle was in the last cal look edition of volksworld.Tim C wrote about his experience of driving Ivan McCutcheons famous 67 to VW Action the previous year after his car was sidelined.

Thanks. That article was good fun to write and a weekend with “that” car was superb. I drove the car with utter respect most of the time Wink

It would be interesting to see what a modern car journalist would make of driving a hi-po VW. Any petrol head would be impressed with the acceleration and experience, but as for cornering and stopping, not so sure.

About 3 years ago I went on a Pistonheads organized tunnel run through London. It featured about 200 cars and was a cruise through the city early one Sunday morning (2am) taking in some 40+ tunnels on route. The point was the noise the cars make while blasting through tunnels - it was great fun. I took the Beetle along to play with the Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Jap stuff and many TVRs (which sound amazing in a tunnel!) and the old Bug was well accepted, lots of people asking questions, wondering what engine it was etc… it even got mentioned in a write up about the event in Autocar magazine – I do like the quote!

It blended into the background with the exotica as well.

Point being, that anyone into speed and fast cars would appreciate first hand the speed these old cars can get up to and how quickly they get there, but writing it up into an article that readers would appreciate would be very difficult imho.

JG54 Greenhearts
67worshipper

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 13:52:48 pm »

the cal look that most of our cars are based on is driving in a straight line from point A to point B as quick as possible.I think its called Drag Racing Grin 90/10 front shockers and 135/145 front tyres dont go round corners and im sure if we wanted them to something else would be fitted.I spoke to Peter Shattock at the Springspeed Nationals in May about driving his looker/racer which he does quite often.He doesnt potter it round.Its a car to go out and have a blast in for an hour just to get rid of the nine to five make you smile then put away again until the next show/drag race/blast whatever you want to call it.                                            the humble beetle is a shopping car but not for shopping if you get what i mean Wink

vw hot rod heaven
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 14:01:35 pm »

the cal look that most of our cars are based on is driving in a straight line from point A to point B as quick as possible.I think its called Drag Racing Grin 90/10 front shockers and 135/145 front tyres dont go round corners and im sure if we wanted them to something else would be fitted.I spoke to Peter Shattock at the Springspeed Nationals in May about driving his looker/racer which he does quite often.He doesnt potter it round.Its a car to go out and have a blast in for an hour just to get rid of the nine to five make you smile then put away again until the next show/drag race/blast whatever you want to call it.                                            the humble beetle is a shopping car but not for shopping if you get what i mean Wink

you should try 10" sticky rear tires, 135's on the front and spool.   oh the joy of driving hipo vw's on the road!  lol

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
67worshipper

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 21:43:33 pm »

most people with normal cars just dont understand Roll Eyes

vw hot rod heaven
Ivan

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 14:53:24 pm »

Thanks. That article was good fun to write and a weekend with “that” car was superb. I drove the car with utter respect most of the time Wink

That's where you screwed up Tim! No respect at any time is what its used to.  Grin
mg

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 16:58:33 pm »

Ratto you are pretty good writer, how would you write a driver's impression about a good Hot VW?

My gripe.
It's not very professional when Magazine writers wreck cars.
Zachary Mayne’s recent article on a blue RSR was just in Excellence magazine.
Zach came to San Diego and my friend let him drive it in the local auto cross.
Zach spun it on his second lap.
Appears he is the type of writer that has to cross his limits to find them.
When he came back to the pits I said to him “You know the first thing I think about when I spin in the parking lot?"
"Light poles"
How many test cars have been crashed by writers?
A $400k Carrera GT a couple of years ago.

Yes and the conflicts of interest are everywhere.
A company provides 10 cars, expert drivers to ride along (you can have that job) great food and free transportation.
Ya’ think a writer is gonna write anything negative and get his name removed from that perk list?
Would most writers/editors slam a long time advertiser?

I'd be more interested in an expert driver’s impression over that of an expert writer.
Any day of the week expert drivers candidly share opinions generally with no conflict of interest.

I think the VW articles are great as is.
I’m amazed to still see HVWs in the rack.
I’d say a big reason for that is the awesome job Dean and RK have done, for decades.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 17:00:24 pm by MG » Logged
mg

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 17:48:15 pm »

Careful who you loan your car to... Smiley
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qyi_dp5gT2w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qyi_dp5gT2w</a>"
alfie the monster

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 23:19:59 pm »

Wasn't Ivan's car on Top Gear once  Huh

Or did I dream that  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 16:53:03 pm »

Wasn't Ivan's car on Top Gear once  Huh

Or did I dream that  Grin
Dunno. I've had my Fastback, No Mercy, my Okrasa Split and the Chop-Top all on Top Gear (but I didn't let them drive!).

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: