The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 18:19:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350767 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Wedgemate issue?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wedgemate issue?  (Read 5910 times)
Petter Carlberg

« on: July 09, 2010, 20:04:29 pm »

Just removed my flywheel for the first time after five seasons of racing. It was sitting like HELL! Once off I can see that it has seized on the surface between flywhell and crank. Tried to reach Demello to ask how to do but no answer. Should I polish or let it be?
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
red baron

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 20:14:43 pm »

looks like the damage occured when you removed it. the fit won't be the same again when you sand it down. polishing maybe in just a veeery light way.

Just my opinion - maybe some other had the same problem?!

cheerio

Petter Carlberg

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:08:02 am »

I think the damage occured already when I mounted the flywheel cause of to tight fit.
flatfire

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 13:16:49 pm »

I have a wedgemated set up but have never taken it off. Looking at your pictures that wouldn't surprise me to see this. The material on the flywheel is softer that the crank.
The rag/material on the crank might be from the flywheel.
Frallan

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 21:56:11 pm »

Hello Petter,

I have ahad a GB wedgemate since ...1977 and it has been removed and mounted several times.
It should sit tight like HELL.
That is the entire idea. You need a specia tool to take ita apart and something like an old flywheel turned around with an extractor bolt in the center plus hitting the center with a large rivet gun while torque the bolt, will work quite good.

The wedge does get a littel damaged every time you take it apart. Looks like yours has been on the slight margin of damage but otherwise it looks "normal" to me.
I never polished the surface.

Now do not just take my input, get others with similar input.
I will check tomorrow if I can take a picture of my GB crank. It is with flywheel off but in the engine.

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 21:44:54 pm »

My Demello wedge looks like this after removing... on mine its actually a wider band of "damage"...

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 22:24:56 pm »

Hi Petter,

Sorry but you just found out why I would never buy a wedged crank again. Yes, it will keep your flywheel on but then again it is 20 years since we stopped using Kep 4 and sinter clutches. What will happen when you install your flywheel again is that it will leak tiny tiny drops of oil on to your clutch and you will fight all season fixing the leak with silicone etc etc. Believe me, just been there and done that.

Morse cone is good shit but not on our stuff I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 22:28:01 pm by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
GetBackOnTrack

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 14:21:33 pm »

I just bought a wedgemate crank from DPR, I had to remove the flywheel twice to get the endplay right, must admit mine didnt look like yours Peter. Just to clarify that what Peter is picturing isnt just because the flywheel has been taken off.

By the way I used a tool (dont know what its called in english) that grap the flywheel by the teath in 3 locations and a a thread going into the crank, put on my air gun an I tell you the flywheel came flying off even though the 8 pins has a good grip in the flywheel/crank.

Just my 2 cent.

Regards, Jakob Spring

You need quality machine work done???
Check: gbot.dk
Taylor

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 20:38:39 pm »

My old demello crank did that too. I still ran it with no oil leaks .  I have since made a tool to take it off and my Don karaker Dk machine wedge looks new after removal.
Petter Carlberg

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 22:10:11 pm »

Thanks for your input guys! My flywheel is going back tomorrow after a little sandpaper rubbing.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 10:22:17 am »

My wedge is from DK Machine and I do believe he is responsible for most wedges over there.

It is in the nature of a good wedge to make marks where it connects and I polished my wedge slightly before I installed it again. After a season fighting with a slipping clutch I finally found out that it was my wedge leaking. A long story short, DK made a new flywheel and he advised me to use a little strip if silicone at the bottom of the flywheel wedge. No leaks so far. I have also used a special tool to separate which makes that job quite easy, very similar to the wedge removal tool from Ron L.

Best rgs
BB
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 14:38:17 pm by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
jose

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 00:25:12 am »

I have a wedgemate,the flyweel is damege, now, my question is, anyway that the flyweel could beduplycate without the crankshaft?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: