The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 18:30:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Mot query
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mot query  (Read 5152 times)
Deadzed13

« on: March 07, 2016, 23:29:50 pm »

Beetle failed the MOT test today. There is a small hole the size of a 5 pence piece at the bottom of the door pillar. I was lead to believe this was an advisory only as the body and chassis are seperate?  Or am I not up to speed on the current Mot standards?
Iryanu

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 23:36:17 pm »

Anything within 12" of a seatbelt mounting point is a fail I believe.
Deadzed13

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 00:09:41 am »

Anything within 12" of a seatbelt mounting point is a fail I believe.
This hole is hinge side. So it's a fair distance from the seat belt. Suppose I'll have to suck it up and get it done.   Undecided
dth

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:26:18 am »

12" from a seatbelt mount / suspension point or body mount area as a guide , so maybe the body mount bit would cover that,
im surprised it wasnt just advised , but every tester is different and has different standards , and alot of testers these days are
not used to older classic cars.
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:49:01 pm »

........... and alot of testers these days are

A quick story from the colonies to show that it's not just a UK thing.

A friend in our small regional areas has a shed full of original old classics. One of them is a 1928 Dodge, it even has wooden wheels, very cool! He mistakenly let the rego run out (it had plates on it since the initial rego in the '20s), but now has to resort to only using it occasionally around the farm.......the tech inspectors point-blank refused to register the vehicle because it didn't have warm defrost air to the windscreen!  Cheesy
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:55:07 pm »

the tech inspectors point-blank refused to register the vehicle because it didn't have warm defrost air to the windscreen!  Cheesy

Well these guys must have a boss or someone over them... a quick letter mentioning their stupidity wouldn't hurt  Wink

whirligig

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 20:06:11 pm »

your tester is a numpty, ( I have been a mot tester for 40 years buy the way) the only way it can fail on a front door pillar is if the hinge is insecure. Body mountings have to be so bad that effectivly the body has to be loose, ie  to interfere with brake or steering control. A unitry body shell is different as it could fail due to corrosion within 30cm of a seat mounting . Tell him to go read the manual under vehicles with a separate chassis.
 Buy the way tested a 70 1300 the other day , made a nice change from all the French crap and nackered focus/fiestas ect.

old school racer-getting older-now crew chief
leec

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 21:12:50 pm »

Why not just get it welded anyway? Irrespective of what the mot says a small hole will soon become a bigger problem

Lee
Deadzed13

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 18:32:43 pm »

your tester is a numpty, ( I have been a mot tester for 40 years buy the way) the only way it can fail on a front door pillar is if the hinge is insecure. Body mountings have to be so bad that effectivly the body has to be loose, ie  to interfere with brake or steering control. A unitry body shell is different as it could fail due to corrosion within 30cm of a seat mounting . Tell him to go read the manual under vehicles with a separate chassis.
 Buy the way tested a 70 1300 the other day , made a nice change from all the French crap and nackered focus/fiestas ect.
As I suspected.
Deadzed13

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 18:36:31 pm »

Why not just get it welded anyway? Irrespective of what the mot says a small hole will soon become a bigger problem

Lee
This is true, and something I intends to do. But it doesn't give him the right to in effect take my vehicle off the road because after a few extra Reddies. He's basically prematurely forced my hand. Talk about bending the rules.
Deadzed13

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 18:37:07 pm »

........... and alot of testers these days are

A quick story from the colonies to show that it's not just a UK thing.

A friend in our small regional areas has a shed full of original old classics. One of them is a 1928 Dodge, it even has wooden wheels, very cool! He mistakenly let the rego run out (it had plates on it since the initial rego in the '20s), but now has to resort to only using it occasionally around the farm.......the tech inspectors point-blank refused to register the vehicle because it didn't have warm defrost air to the windscreen!  Cheesy
That's harsh!
Iryanu

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 09:17:31 am »

I'd just take it elsewhere, or print off these pages and go show the guy he's a twonk:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_610.htm

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mot_appendix_c.htm
Deadzed13

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 21:38:08 pm »

I'd just take it elsewhere, or print off these pages and go show the guy he's a twonk:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_610.htm

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mot_appendix_c.htm

Thank you
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: