The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 13:44:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350758 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  56 strip/street Oval
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: 56 strip/street Oval  (Read 107407 times)
Pas

« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2009, 14:49:18 pm »

Offered up the lightweight, Day mouldings, front wings. I can't recommend these highly enough, superb quality and fit.

Trial fitted the plastic, Rossi headlights  Sad, not sure if I will go with these they are really poor quality Undecided, I bought them because they weigh nothing, but may look for (light) alternatives, any ideas guys ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 00:07:09 am by Pas » Logged

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Pas

« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2009, 15:36:18 pm »

Mocked up the Aronson decklid. When the engine is fitted the valance will be secured to the header then the lid will be mounted.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The car will be sporting raceweight Erco's for the track with M&H slicks/frontrunners. Grin

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The Oval has to share the garage with my Son's "racecar" Grin

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 00:08:05 am by Pas » Logged

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2009, 11:12:29 am »

Awesome Pas!

Re: the lights, I used to run the plastic Rossi's on my old 59 bug and they were crap, but light.

One thing I always thought looked cool was on the old gasser cars they ran a simple headlight trim ring, plexi cover and motorbike lights behind. Not sure how much lighter that would be than stock though???

Pas

« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2009, 19:50:03 pm »

Awesome Pas!

Re: the lights, I used to run the plastic Rossi's on my old 59 bug and they were crap, but light.

One thing I always thought looked cool was on the old gasser cars they ran a simple headlight trim ring, plexi cover and motorbike lights behind. Not sure how much lighter that would be than stock though???

Hey Jamie

Nice idea, I like the gasser look headlights.

For road use I would like the car to look pretty classic Cal look (from the outside at least). I am toying with the idea of just using US spec headlights on the road then making up a pair of plexi covers for the track. Change the wheels and headlights at the track, Cal look to gasser look Cool
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 00:05:18 am by Pas » Logged

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2009, 21:26:14 pm »

Really digging your car Pas Cool

Amazing work Cool Matt

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2009, 21:51:54 pm »

Awesome Pas!

Hey Jamie

Nice idea,I like the gasser look headlights.

For road use I would like the car to look pretty classic,Cal look (from the outside at least).I am toying with the idea of just using US spec headlights on the road then making up a pair of plexi covers for the track.Change the wheels and headlights at the track,Cal look to gasser look Cool

I don't think the weight of the lights will make that much difference , if you like the classic look go with it and if the weight is that much of an issue try to loose it elseware .

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Pas

« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2009, 01:12:22 am »

if the weight is that much of an issue try to loose it elseware .

[/quote]

You've obviously seen me in my underpants.  Grin

You are, of course, absolutely right, the advantage would be miniscule. The problem is once you get into the whole weight saving thing it becomes very addictive (and fun  Grin). You start looking at every little place where you can save weight. I love hearing about the latest thing that people like Phil West and Pete Shattock have come up with (truly bonkers Grin)

Considering I weigh 240 pounds  Shocked, people have asked me why I am so fixated with building a light car. I argue,it's because I weigh 240 pounds that I need a light car  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 00:13:12 am by Pas » Logged

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2009, 07:42:13 am »

What sort of BHP are you expecting  ? coz me thinks  once youve had a few run's in that car and check your underpants i beleave you'll find the extra couple of pounds you were looking to loose  Grin
Who need to go on a diet when weight loss can be this fun  Cheesy

13.03 @ 98mph
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2009, 08:16:12 am »

[/quote]

Considering I weigh 240 pounds  Shocked,people have asked me why I am so fixated with building a light car.I argue,it's because I weigh 240 pounds that I need a light car  Grin Grin Grin
[/quote]

As weight is only relative to horsepower, why not build a bigger motor? More is more  Grin

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Pas

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2009, 14:35:43 pm »

Considering I weigh 240 pounds  Shocked, people have asked me why I am so fixated with building a light car. I argue,it's because I weigh 240 pounds that I need a light car  Grin Grin Grin
[/quote] Grin

As weight is only relative to horsepower, why not build a bigger motor? More is more  Grin
[/quote]

Good point Matt

I think in the future I will go for a (N/A) power hike but for now I want to see what I can achieve with a mouse motor, for several reasons.

1. I love mouse motors  Grin
2. Being relatively new to drag racing, I don't really want to go too fast, too soon. I want to get the car (and my driving) set up and running straight before I really start chasing the numbers.
3. Money, I know I'm generalizing here, but I think you can get away with less exotic (read expensive) components in a smaller engine.

Having said all the above I still haven't got an engine yet so this could all change Cheesy. I need to start looking at this soon, ideally I would like to pick up a built, race proven engine to use for at least the first season (any leads guys Wink)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 00:14:38 am by Pas » Logged

Pas

« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2009, 14:42:47 pm »

What sort of BHP are you expecting  ? coz me thinks  once youve had a few run's in that car and check your underpants i beleave you'll find the extra couple of pounds you were looking to loose  Grin
Who need to go on a diet when weight loss can be this fun  Cheesy

Nicely put Grin

Power will be relatively low initially, certainly sub 200 BHP I imagine Wink

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2009, 18:06:35 pm »

Should still be a kick in the ass  Cool look forward to seeing what motor you go for  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 18:09:25 pm by 49-rag » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
beetletom

« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2009, 18:42:52 pm »

can't wait to see it finished  Cool
cal-look 56

« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2009, 18:45:36 pm »

Looking good. Cant wait till it's done
Pas

« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2009, 21:18:55 pm »

Many thanks for all your comments and encouragement, rest assured I will keep loungers updated Wink.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:34:10 am by Pas » Logged

Fiatdude

« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2009, 23:56:53 pm »

I've got a complete 2919 ARPM motor setting on the shelf (90x101.6) with all the good stuff just finished freshening it up 48 idf's down complete with tin

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Pas

« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2009, 21:24:47 pm »

I've got a complete 2919 ARPM motor setting on the shelf (90x101.6) with all the good stuff just finished freshening it up 48 idf's down complete with tin

PM sent  Smiley

Pas

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2009, 21:32:56 pm »

Ok, got a little bit of work done today.

Polished and fitted the gas pedal.

Trial fitted the dash parts.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:51:04 am by Pas » Logged

Lee

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2009, 21:43:58 pm »

Looking good Cool Cool
Pas

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2009, 21:47:12 pm »

Cut out the louvred panel under the engine grille (1.5 kg saved  Grin), will need to let in a small repair piece where the ali firewall attaches.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Ground off the bonnet and decklid seal grips.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:53:40 am by Pas » Logged

Fiatdude

« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2009, 00:02:52 am »

PM sent  Smiley

Didn't get the pm pas

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Pas

« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2009, 06:51:52 am »

PM sent  Smiley

Didn't get the pm pas

Apologies PM now sent Smiley
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:53:54 am by Pas » Logged

Fiatdude

« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2009, 07:49:52 am »

Deal of the Lifetime -- the car you are building would love this motor

2919cc ARPM motor (90 x 101.6) Totally freshened up -- not fired since -- If you want I can throw it on a engine dyno and give you some HP and Torque info -- But only if you are serious -- Should easily be high 200's and possibly in the 300's

Pauter 90mm crank – type IV mains and Chevy rods -- everything is standard
Corilla rods with ARP bolts
TRW 101.6 pistons (4”)
Total Seal rings
New Bearings
New Cam Web split grind 86c/86b
New Lifters
ARPM 2 piece Case with dropped cam – (Case has small welded spot in top – appears to be a cast defect that was found during clearancing and repaired -- there is no appearence of any damage inside the case -- repairs done before engine came into my pocession)
ARPM Siamese barrels 101.6mm (4”)

ARPM angle port heads – originally ported by Fumio – porting recently cleaned up and polished by R. Fox
New 48mm SS intake valves
New 38mm SS exhaust valves
New Ti retainers and locks
New K800 dual springs
New Pauter 1.5 ratio roller rockers

Complete ARPM Cooling tin

48 IDF carbs -- I like IDF's better for driving around on -- 51.5 IDA will produce more HP

These motor are very rare these days -- but you never know when one might pop up -- when these were built they were the BEST available. This engine was built as a torque motor with a medium high rpm range (7200-7500) It was built to last -- Like you I don't have a lot of money to throw at racing and when I do -- I don't want breakage. The motor was set up at 8.3 compression with the future in mind of possibly adding a turbo to it and also running it on the street on pump gas now. This is by far the nicest VW piece I've ever owned and is the nicest motor my engine builder has ever done and he has been doing this since the 70's and has built a zillion motors.

Asking $10,000 EXTREMELY fair price. Header from a sand rail is included. Ask around what just the case or the heads bare are worth.  Shipping is on you -- I can ask Marty Staggs what it will cost to ship a motor as he does this a lot.

Send me an email to hhill99@hotmail.com and I'll send you some pictures of parts during the rebuild.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:10:12 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Pas

« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2010, 02:02:35 am »

Well, after way too long, I thought I would update this thread.

Starting with the details of the engine I have acquired.

When I initially planned this car this was exactly the type of engine I had in mind and I am stoked that I have got my hands on this Grin

Ian Clark (Wolfsburg Performance Services) built, ex Pete Shattock O/FF 61, 1776 screaming mouse motor !

Welded, counterweighted VW crank. 8.5lb wedgemated flywheel, both from the original Blue Obsession racecar motor.

Scat big bolt 5.4 H beam rods.

Engle FK87, straight cut Magnum cam gears.

Mahle 90.5 B&P.

Jeff Denham 043 heads, 42mm x 37.5mm titanium valves.

Scat tall manifolds.

Berg 1.54 rockers.

Scintilla magneto.

This engine has been dynoed @ 186 BHP and made 150ft/lbs torque.

Pete has run regular 11 second passes with this engine in his lightweight (600 kg/1300 lb) 61 streetcar. Grin

The aim is to initially get into the 12's with my (hopefully) similar weight car and then, with the right gearing and seat time 11's  Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 00:18:26 am by Pas » Logged

kev d

« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2010, 09:23:07 am »

Thats a big bit of the jigsaw sorted out Grin
Hows the rest coming on, out this year maybe??
Cheers
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2010, 20:25:54 pm »

Looking good PAS , Nice to see that little pocket rocket has found a new home  Cool
Being a RHD car as light as yours I'd be looking to get as much weight as pos next to you in the passenger compartment ,
As that motor is going to want to stick a car as light as yours on its side with all that torque  Wink
Thats where LHD boys have the advantage on us Lardy RHD lad's  Roll Eyes

13.03 @ 98mph
Pas

« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2010, 01:33:50 am »

Hows the rest coming on, out this year maybe??
Cheers
Kev

Hey Kev

I really hope so, the body is currently with Crazy Mike for paint. He is doing a fantastic job but progress is slow as he only does it in his spare time. I am helping out with the prep when I can.

The floorpan is also away at Flatlands engineering at the moment for some mods Grin

I guess we are pretty much at the same stage of our builds at the moment. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 00:30:23 am by Pas » Logged

Pas

« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2010, 01:51:33 am »

Looking good PAS , Nice to see that little pocket rocket has found a new home  Cool
Being a RHD car as light as yours I'd be looking to get as much weight as pos next to you in the passenger compartment ,
As that motor is going to want to stick a car as light as yours on its side with all that torque  Wink
Thats where LHD boys have the advantage on us Lardy RHD lad's  Roll Eyes

Hey Glenn

That's an interesting point and there does seem to be some conflicting opinions on what side is best for weight distribution/launching. When Matt posted up a pic of him getting a little crossed up launching, a few guys said that RHD is better not worse for weight distribution. Physics is not my strong point ( I'm a lover not a physicist Grin) and anyway, I am struggling to find anything to put in the passenger side. I will switch the battery and mount the fuel pump/filter that side but that's about it.

One thing is for sure though.....there's gonna be a shit load of ballast sitting in the drivers seat Grin
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:03:08 am by Pas » Logged

Fiatdude

« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2010, 16:39:29 pm »

Pas -- your car is looking great!!! --- Got me a '56 and stuffing that motor I offered you into it -- -- I'm needing a bigger shoe horn LOL

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Pas

« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2010, 17:53:45 pm »

Pas -- your car is looking great!!! --- Got me a '56 and stuffing that motor I offered you into it -- -- I'm needing a bigger shoe horn LOL

Hey how's it going

That engine is one hell of a beast without the turbo! What kind of power are you expecting from it now?

When you go out shopping for big shoehorns you better pick up some wider tyres aswell Grin

Good year choice on the car Grin, keep us updated on your progress.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:20:19 am by Pas » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: