The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 21:31:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Thoughts please :)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thoughts please :)  (Read 9892 times)
71CALRIPPER

« on: July 26, 2007, 08:10:36 am »

Some of you know me alot of you dont but i need some your thoughts Smiley

Right i have an oval project , full plans inlcuded a cage speced to some very low numbers, IRS rear with Ajustable rear end. Large Turbo motor with a vertigate shifter on a built 091 bus box. I have a long way to go with this project and it will take time and alot more of my money.

Now i may have been offerd a perfect race car for my box and engine Smiley problem is it means kinda chucking in my oval and putting my time into this new one. It needs a few updates but for the most part its a 10s car already but runs straight and holds it on in the dub scene..

Any thoughts would be great

cheers
ROb
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:06:17 am »

BTW the car i may be able to have is the ex Jay cee Fiat x19
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:24:23 am »

BTW the car i may be able to have is the ex Jay cee Fiat x19

That's a cool car! Cool

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 09:39:04 am »

I'do go for it.
The car looks good, it has history, and it'll probably end up being cheaper...
ESH

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:40:29 am »

Just thinking out loud, I'm surprised your willing to risk buying another 'big name' car frankly. That said I didn't know that the car you recently bought in the UK was actually a 'big name' car as such.

Joe_G

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:52:43 am »

Blimey changing hands again already, thats a shame. Pity I've got no room/money for another race car. Managed to sneek another buggy past the Mrs, but another race car, there is no way. Oh and RR doesn't do Fiats Wink
What is the other high profile car you have 54Caldub that Matt mentions?
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 09:56:47 am »

Well , my oval is a long way of and would like to finnish it just waying up the pros and cons.
Joe i bought the ex Dave Roads seddan, which may i add needs tones of work to get it ready for action Smiley

The x19 needs the cage updating a tad, and a general clean up paint wise, fit new shifter and gearbox and plump in my turbo motor.

Thing is i would idealing like it to be a street car. need to do some math i think.
Joe_G

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:01:39 am »

I thought the X19's cage had been tagged?
Keep the bug for a street car and go racing in the fiat. Save for a monster motor for the Fiat and then put the turbo in the bug Smiley
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:08:20 am »

well the 63 seddan has a stout 2110 in it which goes like a rocket when its not braking boxes lol ! Dean Weaves heavey lead foot  Wink ( it would have broken anyway ) But the turbo motor would be perfect for the x19 , ive spent alot of wod on the oval but its not to far into it to make it into a rolling project for somebody, after all Nice solid Painted RHD 54 oval is still nice.

Well i need to talk to the owner as he said he may be selling the x19. but dean was pritty sure it hand not been tagged yet, aslo pritty sure its short wheel base which means my turbo motor could nock on the door of a mid 9 and end up being fooked!
63 ripper

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:10:03 am »

BOB R what was so wrong with the DRF car ? i have seen you post many times now to this affect. Having looked over the car before,there were some flat paint issues,some silly stuff like bad seat belt mounting,bad oil filter mounting and some small cosmetic bits,plus a coil and a tune up ...i know you (or your mechanic) blew the box recently but were you not "testing" the M+Hs on the street ?  In my mind that gearbox was always an unknown quantity,nothing in the sellers spec (or volksworld write up) ever suggested it was strong enough for slicks or M+Hs,plus hadn't it been changed back to rubber mounts with just a traction bar and maybe an intermediate mount ? those things don't make for a "full on" 1/4 mile car IMHO
Also how much work would changing the fiat (cool car BTW) over from N/A to a turbo set up ?

edit you posted answering some things before i finished typing !
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:11:51 am by 63 ripper » Logged

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:17:34 am »

The 63 is a lovelry car , nice and solid and never really been welded, the paint work is almost done, needd the deck lid redoing and its sorted Smiley ! My mechanic dean weaver took the car out in the wet with the slicks to make sure the engine was running right after the service and it either blew the Axle or spider gear on its 1st blip! So you woulndt exspect it to go pow so easily, It needs solid mounting and thats on my list of jobs to do! Silly things like Oil fillter mounted next to the J tube was bezare..i love the car to bits but its just strange things which we cant get our heads around. I am sure the car has had a few things done to it while its been in the UK that havnt had the care and attention that dave himself put into the car when it was being built.

To change the x19 to suit the Turbo motor would need, cage playing with, i supose differnt fuel pump and reg, my gearbox with its ratios set up for the motor and all the plumbing.
63 ripper

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:46 am »

Blowing the gearbox is a pain,yes. I have seen that car run an easy 13.7 with phil (a rookie i'm sure he would admit) driving,i know he was unsure of a few things at the time-i think he was using the line-loc to preload. so maybe the box was tired. an axle or spider gear is really an easy fix,as far as boxes go. at least when it's re-done you will know what's in it. when i bought my old 63 i was warned the "big name" box was notchy to downshift,turns out it was more or less scrap !
those strange things are just the way some californian cars are,i have seen it a few times now
good luck with it all,whatever you do,build up to it slowly,don't go and try to run a 10 first time out !
 Cool

JG54

71CALRIPPER

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 10:34:50 am »

cheers dude , i bought the 63 to start getting track time and dont mind doing the odd thing to it,learning alot with it!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 11:51:05 am »

i bought the ex Dave Roads seddan
you bought that car  Huh Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 11:54:59 am »

haha i wish lol, i got his old white 63 Smiley
67Screamer

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 12:32:32 pm »

The 63 is a lovelry car , nice and solid and never really been welded, the paint work is almost done, needd the deck lid redoing and its sorted Smiley ! My mechanic dean weaver took the car out in the wet with the slicks to make sure the engine was running right after the service and it either blew the Axle or spider gear on its 1st blip! So you woulndt exspect it to go pow so easily, It needs solid mounting and thats on my list of jobs to do! Silly things like Oil fillter mounted next to the J tube was bezare..i love the car to bits but its just strange things which we cant get our heads around. I am sure the car has had a few things done to it while its been in the UK that havnt had the care and attention that dave himself put into the car when it was being built.

To change the x19 to suit the Turbo motor would need, cage playing with, i supose differnt fuel pump and reg, my gearbox with its ratios set up for the motor and all the plumbing.

Slicks out in the wet.

Huh
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 12:35:50 pm »

Yeah it was raining , there street slicks though so only a tiny bit of grip  Wink but no way should have gone bang
63 ripper

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 12:38:57 pm »

didn't Dave Rhoads just build the motor,the car was owned by Hunsaker ?

JG54

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 12:39:33 pm »

Huh Mark Hunsaker's...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
ESH

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 12:46:02 pm »

On another forum it says 'RDF Dave Roads' in his signature, presumably he means Rhoads which is odd as I didn't think he had a white car? If it's the Hunsaker car it's been here a couple of years but that can't be right as Roberto apparently bought whichever car it is he has in the States? Very confusing!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:47:38 pm by Mat Sanchez » Logged
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 13:27:13 pm »

i thought Hunsaker  built the motor and tranny but i stand very corrected

built by Mike and Mark Hunsaker and then the transmission and 2110 motor built by Dave Rhoads

hehe oops
Tim C

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 13:35:38 pm »

Nice car. I believe it was built by Mike and Mark Hunsaker originally and then the transmission and 2110 motor built by Dave Rhoads.

It was originally bought by Phil from oldbug.com in the US about 4 years ago, he shipped it over, fitted short race axles, narrowed the beam and did a few other bits I think and then sold on to 2 other people and it is now in Rob's hands.

JG54 Greenhearts
Tim C

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 13:36:25 pm »

Sorry Rob, posting at the same time Wink

JG54 Greenhearts
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 13:45:32 pm »

much better put Tim Smiley and photos included. Smiley

so back the question , build the oval up or have a play with a ready built race car and keep my 63 for the street Smiley
63 ripper

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 14:06:15 pm »

is the X19 minus engine and box then ?
is the fiat swing axle or IRS ?

JG54

71CALRIPPER

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 15:05:41 pm »

yip it may be with out engine and box and its ladder bar Smiley
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 22:12:09 pm »

So lets get  this right you want to put a turbo motor in the X19 yes go for it. Grin

Hope you have a donor card. Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 10:45:52 am »

haha for once in my life i cant afford to change my plans Smiley oval carrys on ,
flatfire

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 10:21:43 am »

[/quote]

I have never seen the car in the flesh but from the photos over the years it looks sweet.

A turbo motor in the x19 would be great to watch Smiley
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

Well got a brand new Transwest box to go in her now, going to solid mount the box..tach the gay monster tach out of it and give her a clean and get her ready for action. Smiley

So you can take her for a spin at action if you want dude
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: