The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:46:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  End Play Questions....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: End Play Questions....  (Read 3996 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: March 27, 2011, 04:30:16 am »

I've built most of my own motors over the years and never had an issue when building a new engine (with new case, crank rods, flywheel, etc.) setting up the end play. The case was not line bored, the bearings are all new, the #1 bearing by the flywheel fit snug (as it should) but something has gone off.  Checked the end play with the flywheel on and got .033 with my dial indicator.  Went to set it up with three shims at .028 - .029, to get a .004 to .005 end play and re-installed the flywheel and ended up with.012 end play???

In the 40+ years I've been doing my engines, I have never run into this with all new parts.  Anyone ever run in to this? I am beginning to question the quality of the flywheel on this combo.  The MFG over cut the o-ring groove. I am wondering if they got the back of the flywheel machined flat too?

Any one have any thoughts?

Rick M
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 14:01:36 pm by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:38:22 am »

Checking with crank in case only? Are you useing a dial indicator? and how are you moveing crank from front to rear?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:53:35 am »

Is the endplay consistent checking at multiple points while rotating the assembly in the case?
I have run into clearance issues with some crank/case combinations that were only evident when first checking endplay.

Is this a factory/mag case? Crankshaft welded or aftermarket?
TxT

p.s. getting ready for the new contest! LOL

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
rick m

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:53:30 am »

Yes, I always use a dial indicator.  The flywheel run out is dead on, so I did not suspect the flywheel mating surface being off.  I checked the bearings for fit in the case as well as rotated the crank assembly in the case without issues.  It is a factory mag case but after market crank and flywheel.  I will not mention the manufacturer at this time until I check everything. I have never run into this before even with welded strokers or counter weighted cranks. Very odd.

I checked the end play about 10 times and started to question the #1 bearing moving. So, I set my dial indicator up to measure the bearing by moving the crank in and out of the case from the pulley end and there was no movement in the bearing. I had the whole motor together and ready to shove in my street car but have a suspicion I am gonna have to tear it all down and start over to find out what is causing the issue.  I hate to blame the after market crank and flywheel combo but cannot figure what else would cause it.  The case is a standard/standard brand new factory VW mag case.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:33 am »

Do you already install the camshaft? maybe his pulley has some wrong tooths that prevent the crankshaft to move freely?
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:54:54 am »

Have you checked that the shims are what they "say" ? I have seen shimms that were both warped and larger/smaller than the stamp said.
T
rick m

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 15:09:02 pm »

Yes...used my dial calipers to check all shims to ensure the size.  I have straight cut gears so I doubt that is holding up movement.  It is extremely odd.  May just tear it down and start over again.

RM

Rick Mortensen
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 15:24:29 pm »

I suspect the crank.
I've seen and dealt with cranks that interfere with the case along the middle saddle ... the counterweights are too wide at the outer circumference and interfere requiring trimming of the case/crankshaft counterweights.
Funny thing is I personally haven't seen this with a welded crank. I guess VW knew how to make them best? LOL

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 16:38:37 pm »

Hi Rick,
Sounds like the counter weights are hitting inside the case. This would give you a inaccurate initial reading (more than the .033 measured) with no shims.
Just add an additional (.008) in your shim stack to get  .004 clearance.

tw

Operations Trask Manufacturing
Design, Prototype, & Dyno Tune Custom Motorcycle Exhaust
Taylor

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 20:21:32 pm »

I would split the case and leave the flywheel on. then check it on the bench
rick m

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 22:28:53 pm »

Taylor,

Just what I am planning to do.  At this point,  I won't even go any further.  Need to get to the root cause. Have way to much in this motor to not disassemble and look at everything. I  will let everyone know what I found out and who's parts not to use if it ends up being the flywheel cut wrong or the crank.  May even put a longer stroke in it while I have it apart! :-)

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 21:57:55 pm »

Rick, I have come accross this problem on two or three brand new engine builds. It took me ages to figure out what the problem was as there seemed no logical explanation to the crank end float measurements seeming to change.  Then the penny dropped... There was a slight machining tolerance issue with the o-ring groove on the flywheel. This caused the o-ring to be lightly pinched between the end of the crank and flywheel. This explained why when the flywheel was torqued up for the final time with o-ring and seal installed that all of a sudden the end float jumped to 25 thou! In all three engines I had to trim a little off the o-ring with a scapel. Bingo! Perfect end float.
It took a lot of head scratching to work that one out. Amazing what a tiny little bit of rubber can do when it gets in the way! Even when torqued to 350 ft/lbs, it has the ability to mess up things up in a big way. 

The downside of trapping a little bit of the o-ring is a flywheel that WILL come loose. Gauranteed!   

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
rick m

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 14:01:06 pm »

Alltorque,

This was taking place before the flywheel o-ring even goes on.  In addition,  the idiots who machined the oring groove cut it too wide. So much for the quality control issues from this particular supplier.  I've resigned myself to have another stock GERMAN flywheel 8 doweled and then try the end play.  If it does not come around then, I will disassemble the motor and see what is causing the issue.

BEWARE of any of the CHINESE cranks you buy. Check every single dimension (Journal widths, etc.) before spending the time balancing the internal assembly and putting the motor together. The first BUGPACK crank I purchased in the mid 90's was dead on.  I have not run any other brands since other than welded strokers or BERG parts.  Again, I will leave this vendors name unlisted until we check all things.  How can you ship out a flywheel with the o-ring groove cut wrong with a conscience?  I guess you get what you pay for. In this case I paid over $100 for the so-called FORGED flywheel.  The dowel pin holes are also loose enough you can push the flywheel on and off without using your traditional two large screwdrivers to walk it off.

RM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 14:04:34 pm by rick m » Logged

Rick Mortensen
Sarge

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 15:22:46 pm »

The easy way around end-play "fun" is to do your set-up while the crank is still on the workbench... especially with a wedgemated flywheel. 

DKP III
rick m

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:52:32 am »

Looks simple.  Never done it this way but will try on future builds. Having a new non-aftermarket flywheel (GERMAN) 8 doweled for my motor so I can get it done.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
rick m

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 07:26:47 am »

Took off the after market flywheel, went to CE and had them 8 down a lightened GERMAN flywheel, came and checked the end play once, added the three traditional shims and was done with the end play set up in less than an hour. So much for the quality of the aftermarket 4340 flywheels.  The best I can tell the back surface that the shims ride against is not true.

I will never understand why certain companies will go to the trouble to make new parts and not check the quality and tolerances of all the machine work. I plan to ship this disappointment back to the manufacturer of the part.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: