The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 23:51:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350727 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project `55
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Project `55  (Read 142294 times)
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2010, 22:07:34 pm »

Hey Kevo , nice progress , like the CNC load pedal , may have to get me one of them too  Cool
You going out to DDD next weekend ? may have to make a dent in some local fermented brew with ya  Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2010, 11:58:19 am »

Wish I was matey Sad
Off on a job later this week so no more outings for me this year!
Have a good trip, sure we'll manage a beer some other time Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Russell

« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2010, 22:46:55 pm »

Ok, Ok now i know where all the missing parts from the gasser garage are...... Kev please return...

Wray.... another project a 71 van slow down... you almost have us much as me to do....

Brian.... Sourthern Cal Guys keep there promises.... ask your mate Ray "with an R" where all these vans are we were promised, kevs getting bored....

martin, missing us..... I Bet, still waiting to race for pinks..... CHICKEN.

Glenn..... you buy a beer..... wow thats about as rare as martin doing a full quarter withour a hand.....

RACESHOP FASTBACK....... now theres an idea !  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
kev d

« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2010, 19:07:27 pm »

Typical Russell, drop in stir things up & dissapear Tongue

Big day today - picked up the drums so eventually got it down on its wheels Grin
All good till I let down the jack - much more than the 2" I was expecting from the drop spindles so I can certainly get the drop I need but not the adjustability I was expecting for loading, etc. Not a big deal though.

More of a problem is that the wheels just don't fit - far too much offset, I knew the rears were going to be an issue but not the fronts as they are 4.5".
Gives me a set of wheels for my bus I suppose Grin
I've got just over 50mm clearance between the inner tyre face & the spring plates so there's scope for some improvment there.

Dropped on the body for gapping the doors etc, next step is get it into primer.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2010, 19:33:03 pm »

When you welded in the adjusters you did remove the same amount of front beam!  Tongue

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2010, 19:40:55 pm »

Ok, Ok now i know where all the missing parts from the gasser garage are...... Kev please return...

Wray.... another project a 71 van slow down... you almost have us much as me to do....

Brian.... Sourthern Cal Guys keep there promises.... ask your mate Ray "with an R" where all these vans are we were promised, kevs getting bored....

martin, missing us..... I Bet, still waiting to race for pinks..... CHICKEN.

Glenn..... you buy a beer..... wow thats about as rare as martin doing a full quarter withour a hand.....

RACESHOP FASTBACK....... now theres an idea !  Grin

Oi !! Your are never about to buy a beer for ! LOL .
Are you popping ove for DDD ? Coz you know where I'll be " helping and shouting at Martin "  Wink Grin Grin

13.03 @ 98mph
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2010, 19:48:41 pm »

Typical Russell, drop in stir things up & dissapear Tongue

Big day today - picked up the drums so eventually got it down on its wheels Grin
All good till I let down the jack - much more than the 2" I was expecting from the drop spindles so I can certainly get the drop I need but not the adjustability I was expecting for loading, etc. Not a big deal though.

More of a problem is that the wheels just don't fit - far too much offset, I knew the rears were going to be an issue but not the fronts as they are 4.5".
Gives me a set of wheels for my bus I suppose Grin
I've got just over 50mm clearance between the inner tyre face & the spring plates so there's scope for some improvment there.

Dropped on the body for gapping the doors etc, next step is get it into primer.

Think you need to let me have that beam Kev for a bit of titivation , looks like the adjusters need to be swung back by about 40 degrees and loose a good 60mm out of it too Ive found a guy down Devon way who knocks out lazer cut shock towers if its going to foul the cage .
Grafted a set of these into Boom Boom's beam when i had that for some adjustment  Wink
Glenn

13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2010, 22:22:01 pm »

When you welded in the adjusters you did remove the same amount of front beam!  Tongue

Tongue Grin

kev d

« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2010, 22:31:27 pm »

Think you need to let me have that beam Kev for a bit of titivation , looks like the adjusters need to be swung back by about 40 degrees and loose a good 60mm out of it too Ive found a guy down Devon way who knocks out lazer cut shock towers if its going to foul the cage .
Grafted a set of these into Boom Boom's beam when i had that for some adjustment  Wink
Glenn
[/quote]

Well thats what I get for 'assuming' I suppose Roll Eyes
Probably just change wheels tbh, not going to re-do stuff thats finished if I don't have to!
Cheers,
Kev

Neil Davies

« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2010, 16:11:00 pm »

IRS rear track is 63mm wider than pre-'67 swingaxle rear track IIRC, so that'll be the problem with the back, but the front should be well under? It looks fantastic on the BRMs so it would be a shame to lose them.
Speak to Paintbox about wider rear wings - for Bernies car they grafted two pairs of Day Mouldings wings together - I couldn't tell where they'd added the width! They might have a mould for these now? If not, buy another pair of rear wings and have a go yourself! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
kev d

« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2010, 19:40:53 pm »

Hi Neil,

I'd assumed the front wheels would be ok because they are 4.5"'s, now I've checked them the offset is et11 same as the rears.
Looks like rather than losing an inch on the outside its came off the inside Roll Eyes
I always new I'd need to widen the rears though, just a case of how much.
Really its looking like either gasser style flared wings all round (which I'd do if I can get a set) or go to erco's.

As it stands though none of this is stopping me finishing the chassis or getting the shell prepped Grin
Cheers,
Kev

SteveW

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2010, 22:12:42 pm »

Kev, CSP make wider wings! We 'had' them on ours and they were great quality! You can narrow stock A Arms 'easy' enough by an inch too!

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
kev d

« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2010, 22:31:24 pm »

Hi Steve,

Yep remember asking about your rear wings during the buildup, plenty of options really I just need to pick one!
I'm going to concentrate on getting the shell into primer right now & come back to the bolt on bits later.
Cheers,
Kev

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2010, 07:20:10 am »

You need to tlk to Boom Boom bout widerrear wing before you buy Kevo  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2010, 18:35:55 pm »

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=646732

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
kev d

« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2010, 18:55:25 pm »

Cheers matey, problem now solved though Wink

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2010, 17:59:06 pm »

Not been on this thread for a while Kev... but gotta say

WOW

Looking fantastic matey!

kev d

« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2010, 19:25:55 pm »

Not been on this thread for a while Kev... but gotta say

WOW

Looking fantastic matey!

Cheers buddy Grin
Should be on a new set of shoes very soon.. Wink

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2010, 21:15:04 pm »

cant wait too see it with the new wheels and tires

Looking good Kev

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Russell

« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2010, 23:07:36 pm »

Kev

Looking good, still waiting for my parts  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
kev d

« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:44 am »

Kev

Looking good, still waiting for my parts  Grin

Tongue Wink

Wheel issues now look solved.. Grin
Built the shell back up & gapped the doors, bonnet & deck lid - pretty happy with how it's sitting but may have to adjust the height a bit once the motor goes in.

Banded the rear wings 25mm , now ready for 'glassing up.
8.5" slicks & erco's fit well, tucked in leaving @15mm clearance from the suspension Cool

Next time I post pics it won't be in bare steel.. Wink
Cheers,
Kev

JSL

« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2010, 10:43:20 am »

Your flying dude!!!

Making serious progress!!!

Its looking GREAT!!!

Well done!!!

J

Brother Lovedub

« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2010, 09:46:11 am »

Looks awesome :-)

Can't wait to see this!!
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2010, 11:02:14 am »

Great progress Kev, looks awesome!

kev d

« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2011, 20:09:00 pm »

Now in primer Grin
Liking the 2 lane blacktop look.. Wink

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2011, 21:33:42 pm »

Nice look bud , now bolt it back together & lets have some fun  Cool Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
Pas

« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2011, 01:30:46 am »

Looking good Kev, you will soon be tearing it up on the strip  Cool

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
kev d

« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2011, 22:17:48 pm »

Looking good Kev, you will soon be tearing it up on the strip  Cool

Cheers!
Don't hold your breath there waiting for a run from it though Wink

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2011, 21:39:18 pm »

Smiley

Ace Kev... always a massive step mentally when its all one colour, even primer. Looks hard as nails!

Brother Lovedub

« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2011, 14:31:38 pm »

Bloody hel, it's only when it's sittng like this you realise how little is left of the original structure.......!

Looks great though, bring on race season  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: