The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 00:37:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350727 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project `55
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Project `55  (Read 142294 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2011, 16:52:49 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Neil Davies

« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2011, 19:01:30 pm »

Like it Kev, a little bit "Lightning Bug"-esque, and at the same time a bit like Tony Osborne's Headhunter Willys. Cool cars both.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
kev d

« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2011, 20:44:07 pm »

Into pop's too fabs? Grin
Cool car tho' Cool

Hi Neil, Yep theres a few influences going on Wink
the headhunter coupe is a very cool car, a willys is on my lottery win wish list Grin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #243 on: November 12, 2011, 11:26:46 am »

looking really good now Kev.

recon you'll be racing it this year.

Keep up the great work

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
kev d

« Reply #244 on: November 13, 2011, 07:24:40 am »

Cheers Martin,

Hoping to have it together & running early spring, maybe get it down to crail & play with it a couple of times before anything serious!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04:12 am »

Looks really good Kev!

kev d

« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2012, 20:50:05 pm »

Nearly 4 months since the last post so should really update this to prove I've not forgotten about it! Grin
Nothing major to report but the chassis's now back home & I've got a pretty final list of various small fittings etc needed to get it fired up Grin
A mate welded up the old valve holes in the rear erco's so I got the bolt in valves fitted & hopefully get the slicks mounted & balanced tomorow.
The motor was only fitted for mock up so I pulled that today & ordered a release bearing, also removed the exhaust & intake for detailing so with some fresh exhaust wrap & paint it'll start to look finished, add some wiring & oil lines - bingo!
At the front I'm going to build a frame around the fuel cell, Hauser's are bending up some 32mm CDS so that'll give it a bit of protection I'll hopefully never need...
Once that lots done the body can go back on for keeps.
Not a lot of trimming in the shell to do but I've started fitting the alloy panels, bonnet pins & windows.
Still want it out this year & DDD's fairly do-able...fingers crossed Grin

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2012, 23:08:40 pm »

Looking good fella , hope to trundle out for DDD myself see you there  Smiley

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Russell

« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »

Just came up with a name for your car kev......

the "IN-N-OUT BUG"  after the famous In-N-Out Burger, there logo is super cool

Best Regards

Russell
Russell

« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2012, 12:27:49 pm »

i can see the comments now

the:

In-N-Out Engine

In-N-Out Garage

In-N-Out Racer

God i could go on........... for ever.  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
kev d

« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »

Cheesy Grin
Like it!

Russell

« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2012, 13:13:20 pm »

now im no fabs at the artwork, but you getting the idea.....

Best Regards

Russell
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2012, 14:44:56 pm »

i can see the comments now

the:

In-N-Out Engine

In-N-Out Garage

In-N-Out Racer

Lets do the hokey Kokey and turn around thats what its all about

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
kev d

« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2012, 19:26:55 pm »

Looks pretty cool Shocked
Might have to ask them if they'll put up the food for a weekend Wink

BossHogg76

« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2012, 20:08:25 pm »

Did some one say food?

That's looking great Kev, seems like winter has gone and we are all heading back into the garages.  Smiley
kev d

« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2012, 20:50:58 pm »

Did some one say food?

That's looking great Kev, seems like winter has gone and we are all heading back into the garages.  Smiley

Its either that or watch something on tv with the word celebrity in the title...

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2012, 10:07:56 am »

thx russell  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
kev d

« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2012, 10:33:40 am »

had a lot worse than the word burger added to my name.. Grin
good work fabs Wink

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2012, 10:43:18 am »

Nice work Fab's but I'm guessing that stinger won't be needed with the Turbo  Wink
& with gonad's the size of Kev's I'd be surprised if he'd use sissy stick's  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:02:05 am by Black Sheep » Logged

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2012, 11:26:20 am »

Fantastic project Kev, nearly there! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh racing. When i saw the pictures of the rear end of your car i had to double take as I thought it was my car! The rear cage work is identical to mine. A very strong setup particularly the tying in of the torsion bars to the cage. Without this mod the torsion housings flex unbelievably...
When do you reckon to be finished?
Cheers, Matt

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
kev d

« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2012, 17:08:55 pm »

Cheers Matt,
Think I've admitted paying homage/drawing inspiration from/ripping off your ideas earlier in the thread.. Wink
The main influences have always been your car,tekens split, richies cab & the otto's dangerine along with a bit of the old school gassers thrown in.
I spent a bit of time checking out your car when it was in primer at sandown, hope you did'nt patent anything Cheesy
I really expect it to be out this year, maybe DDD, totally depends on how much time I get home though, been away most of the year!

Got the slicks fitted & balanced today along with getting the motor back in to stay, some other little odds & ends fitted so it looks like I've done something constructive!
Away tomorow for a few weeks so by the time I get back all the little bits that are stopping it coming together will have arrived Cool, I'll get them fitted & have it running then drop the body on.
Sounds easy Roll Eyes

Andy Sykes

« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2012, 18:36:03 pm »

Awesome build Kev glad to see it all coming together Smiley

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2012, 19:22:39 pm »

Sweet  Cool. The initial cage design is mainly down to Wayne Allmann, with me adding in all the extra bracing and then fully tig-welding the puppy up! Wayne knows a trick or two, and aside from Jim Smith, is the only chap I would recommend for cage work as it's a pretty darn important affair!
I don't think you are going to have any probs with your car handling big hp. The design works really well and is pretty much flex free, as far as I can tell. I did narrow my torsion housings about 5 inches in order to get the rubber under the arches. In doing that, I had to section the frame horns in order for my homemade irs inner clamps to have enough clearance. Not sure looking at your chassis as to whether or not you narrowed your rear end? Might be a thought for the future, as it will give you lots of options for offset and tyre size.
Keep it rolling Kev, you are on the home straight now fella  Cool
Keeno

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
kev d

« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2012, 21:02:35 pm »

I don't know Jim or Wayne but have seen plenty of their work & its very impressive!
I left everything stock width for few reasons really, originally it was going to be a much much quicker / cheaper build with pretty low spec engine & box, I reckoned I had enough of a learning curve building a basic race car I did'nt need to complicate things!
Turning point was being offered the gearbox, it was just too good not to use, I bought danny allens old turbo setup & intended using that but then got offered this motor.. Grin
I'm probably starting out with what the car would have evolved into after maybe 2 strip downs which has probably saved time & cash - just doesn't seem like it right now!
I'm now running 8.5" wheels & slicks, the wings are only just over 1" over stock so by the time I run out of tyre theres going to be plenty of other issues to fix... Grin

Russell

« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2012, 21:27:01 pm »

thx russell  Wink

Fantastic dabs, if kev doesn't do I might........

Best Regards

Russell
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2012, 10:11:15 am »

Looks good! One question, where are you going to fit the intercooler?

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2012, 20:08:13 pm »

Looking good Kev  Cool

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
kev d

« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:07 am »

Looks good! One question, where are you going to fit the intercooler?

There's not going to be one with the carb'd setup, the next stage with the motor would be to go back to an injected & intercooled system though.
Cheers
Kev

Neil Davies

« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2012, 11:34:56 am »

Fantastic project Kev, nearly there! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh racing. When i saw the pictures of the rear end of your car i had to double take as I thought it was my car! The rear cage work is identical to mine. A very strong setup particularly the tying in of the torsion bars to the cage. Without this mod the torsion housings flex unbelievably...
When do you reckon to be finished?
Cheers, Matt

Even on my car I can vouch for the torsions moving - the rear crossmembers inside the body suffered badly from stress fractures where the torsion housings are bolted to them. Shocked
I'm toying with a similar design but putting a second horizontal hoop a little narrower and further back to brace down onto the ends of the frame horns and up to the main hoop. The idea is that if the worst does happen, the engine will have a modicum of protection.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:15 am »

Great to see it on all four wheels & with the powerplant in place Kev, nice work!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: