The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:54:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350764 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Grelland's Ghia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Grelland's Ghia  (Read 185237 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 19:24:35 pm »

Your getting there Roy!! Keep going!! Spring is comming :-)

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Grelland

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 00:13:04 am »

Thanks, Johnny, but judging by the weather earlier tonight, when I was moving my chassis to an other location, it seems loooong before the spring is here...

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 20:23:43 pm »

Slowly moving forward.. Have done some work on the lower a-pillar on the RH side, as well as the inner fender.
Man, I look forward to driving this thing ;-)

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 20:26:35 pm »

In the meantime, Speedwell and others have overwhelmed me with pictures of old cal-look Ghias, and I have decided to change my choice of wheels. I am now about to land a deal on a set of these:

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 21:57:29 pm »

sounds like this is gonna be a cool ghia!
Grelland

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 23:28:32 pm »

Thanks, hope so. Still some way to go to match yours (if the car in the avatar is yours, that is..).

I had a chance to work on the engine a bit tonight, and this is probably not going to be fitting to the traditional cal-look theme, but I am opting for a Porsche cooling setup in order to place the plenum for a FI setup behind it. I kind of believe in utilizing modern technology whenever it is available, We dont have to freeze EVERYTHING to the way things were in '76  Wink

Roy

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 23:37:22 pm by Grelland » Logged

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2007, 11:26:05 am »

thanks,yes its mine in the avatar,i couldn't bring myself to weld up nostrils etc,but maybe the bumper overriders and window rubber trim could go!.glad to see you going for real empi 8s Cool
Grelland

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 12:59:05 pm »

Agree with you on the nostrils (even if they are causing me a lot of extra work due to rust and stuff at the moment). The Ghia look naked without them.

Roy

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 13:00:18 pm »

About as naked as an engine without carbs??  Roll Eyes

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Grelland

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 18:04:41 pm »

right Grin

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 18:27:56 pm »

some update: the inner fender is ready also on this side, just need to mount the fresh air channel before I can start mounting the nose and fenders. It's coming together :-)

The red lines indicate where I have welded in new panels....

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2007, 03:18:51 am »

Man oh man, that is quite impressive.  Nice work!  Dedication for sure!   Wink  Keep the shots coming!

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Grelland

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 11:06:26 am »

Thanks, I had a look at your car on your website, and it looks great. What plans do you have for the wheels?

Back to my project; I finished up the lower a-pillar last night, so now this entire part of the car starts taking shape:

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2007, 18:19:48 pm »

Just AWESOME !!!

Done ? Not Yet.
Grelland

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 23:10:14 pm »

Things are slowly moving forward, and I have fixed up the luggage area, ground down the welds, sandblasted, and applied the first coat of primer (etch primer).

Looking better already:

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2007, 23:14:45 pm »

In the bottom right corner, you can see that I have fixed the area where the dogleg stops at the firewall. I still have to fix the other side, before I can primer the entire front of the car.

My major headache at the moment is the nostrils. The entire nose of the car was a total mess, and I fixed most of it, but the area around the nostrils was partly rusted out and partly "destroyed" by some PO's attemt to fix it. So I have mounted new air boxes, and try to shape the outer skin such that the chrome grille fits. But it doesn't....

I really dont know how to fix this, but I guess I will get there in the end. I have received some good advice from my friends at TheSamba, so I will keep trying:-)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 04:31:14 am »

Hi If You Are Fitting The Grills and Need to Shape Everything Do Not Use A New After Market Grill Use A Good Used One To Copy The Shape The After Market Grill are Way Off as far as A Good Fit I Would Make The Car Fit an Original Set Of Grills Then Make the After Market Grills Fit The Car Dont Make the Car Fit The Grill 

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Bryan67

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 04:40:09 am »

Or.... you could fill them in.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Grelland

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 07:59:28 am »

Hi If You Are Fitting The Grills and Need to Shape Everything Do Not Use A New After Market Grill Use A Good Used One To Copy The Shape The After Market Grill are Way Off as far as A Good Fit I Would Make The Car Fit an Original Set Of Grills Then Make the After Market Grills Fit The Car Dont Make the Car Fit The Grill 

Thanks, that was what I expected... I will try finding an OE grille before I spend more time on this.

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 08:00:24 am »

Somehow, I was expecting this :-) But I will keep the grills.

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2007, 09:19:02 am »

I am trying my best to keep up with JHU, but I see he has now started cheating, hiring proffesional help, so I will just have to stop sleeping at night...

But I did get some more work done the last few days, but barely visible, as it has been mostly related to grinding welds and applying primer.

But I had a trip out in the forest to rescue the last remainings of my parts car the other night, and here's a picture of the only usable part left. I will replace the dash with this one shortly.

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2007, 16:29:38 pm »

oh no not again Cheesy
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2007, 04:24:59 am »

I Dont Know if this would help you on your Ghia nose panel around the grills but take a look

TheSamba.com Classifieds Index -> Parts -> Ghia
Karmann Ghia Nose Ad number: 234511

Karmann Ghia Nose - 150 
This needs a bit of help in the apron and headlight buckets, but it's a big ol hunk of metal to work with if you have collision damage.Remember, the center sections alone, repro, go for $750. Man! Not an easy piece of metal to fabricate.
Crating Fee $40, I ship globally

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Grelland

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2007, 09:20:39 am »

Thanks.

A friend here in Norway have kindly let be borrow his nostril grills, so I will at least have a go at this first.

In the meantime, I have spent some time filling in some bumps in the front luggage area, and then applied a final coat of 2-k epoxy primer. This will be followed by a layer of inno-tec spray sealer, and finally paint:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 11:49:54 am by Grelland » Logged

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2007, 09:21:34 am »

I have also painted the outside of the inner fender, in the area behind the fresh air vents, in order to ensure that this area will not rust again:

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2007, 09:22:40 am »

And while I was at it, the fan-shroud and cooling tin also got a round with the L87 Pearl White paint:

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2007, 09:24:26 am »

It is actually nice and shiny, it is just my photography skills that make them look flat...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 17:36:27 pm by Grelland » Logged

Never had any EMPI..

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2007, 18:31:41 pm »

Very impressive Grelland!

This will surely inspire other people to fix Ghia's. You will be a proud man when you drive it next!

Keep up the good work,

Matt

Karmann 1304i
Black 411 lowrider
Grelland

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2007, 13:08:49 pm »

Thanks, Matt.

I see Johnny Boy has really upped the pace lately, so I will have to work hard to keep up with him :-) (By the way, Johnny, my chassis is already painted and ready for the body  Wink )

Here are a few pics of this week's progress so far:

First a picture of the right hand side, where I have welded on the rearmost part of the fresh air channel:

Then the other side got  the foremost part added:

What you cant see here is that all these parts have a fresh layer of new shiny paint on the inside, hopefully avoiding rust in the future: I will also use cavity wax once the last part is welded on.

Lastly, I spent a few minutes mounting all the engine tin and fan shroud onto my engine:

I am not really too sure whether I like the outcome, but after I get all the runners, plenum, fuel lines and wires mounted, it will look better, I hope.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 13:10:53 pm by Grelland » Logged

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2007, 22:30:48 pm »

Slow progress, but still progress...

I have finally got around to fixing the last part of the firewall, and applied some primer and even a lick of bondo to cover everything up:

I will have to take a few day's brake, as I did some welding without my helmet, so now my eyes are all red and swollen... I know...

Jump to: