The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:36:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Ren Kafer Cup return to Bug In May 17th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Ren Kafer Cup return to Bug In May 17th  (Read 30670 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 22:27:17 pm »

The problem with this, Pat, is trying to get it so the spectators understand what's going on. That's why the heads-up classes are the crowd's favourites because they're easy to follow.

The original DRKC died, let's face it, when a certain pale blue car with a S/S motor showed. By imposing simple rules, such as limits on tyres, heads, fuel(?) etc, you can run on an equal playing field – a well-detailed car that's fast = job done. Award points in the car show judging and so many points per round. Car with the most points wins.

OK - over to you guys for more discussion...  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
2manytoys

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 01:51:41 am »

K-,

I don't think so, getting the spectators to understand wasn't a problem in the past. The announcer makes it clear of the how the class competes every time they run. When we ran DRKC many many years ago. The announcer was great at explaining to the crowd how the class was two parts, show and go. A certain pale blue car may have been part of the downfall, but not entirely,..there were a couple of blue cars that were uber fast. The crowd is smart enough to know a heads up race from a bracket, and everyone loves an Underdog. First pass Heads up,...2nd or 3rd dial it in and reaction time plays a part. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.

P-

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 05:39:37 am »

I would be more than willing to participate but wont be able to with pump gas and VW style castings as I run almost 11.0 to 1 and street eliminators. I will drive from Corona to Fontana or any pre cruise needed and run with  no trailer like I always do but can't run the thing on straight pump gas. Anyhow whatever the decisions made are going to be if I fit in then I will participate. It should be about fun in my opinion.

My car will run 12's and I drive it all over but just have to mix some fuel in.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 15:46:10 pm »

Looks Bitchen; Hauls Ass! I for one thought Geers had the ultimate DRKC car. It summed it all up; just sayin...

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 16:05:37 pm »

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 17:16:56 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Dan Ahrendt

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 16:13:35 pm »

I hope anyone is there and take a video from the drkc races  Grin

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 17:23:32 pm »

come on Keith

Der Kleiner Panzers
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 17:37:04 pm »

Looks Bitchen; Hauls Ass! I for one thought Geers had the ultimate DRKC car. It summed it all up; just sayin...

It may have been, but it also killed the class at the same time. No one else had a chance at competing.

Some tighter boundaries will keep the interest level up and participation high.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 17:41:30 pm »

I love the DRKC idea in it's original form.

I would like to see it limited to street cars with VW style heads and pump gas.
It may eliminate the faster cars but I would like to see this class be more street oriented instead of seeing purpose built cars.
The purpose built DRKC cars killed interest in the class. Guys built cars that they couldn't enjoy and couldn't use and guys with more street oriented cars felt they couldn't compete.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
TyeDyeBug

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 17:46:56 pm »

Did geers car have full interior
Headliner
Door panels
Back seat...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 17:58:35 pm by TyeDyeBug » Logged
mg

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 22:01:14 pm »

Just brainstorming...
For a bigger field allow any type of fuel and DOT legal tires....
but with a few tweeks...
During runs have cars with similar fuel type race each other.
And create a bias or a handicap perhaps favoring pump gas and DOT tires on cars.
The handicap could be factored into the spread sheet scoring system.

Another option. simplify...just make it a 12.80 index and a car show for street cars, why waste your money on a 10 second engine at that point?

stay in the discussion KS!  Wink

Taylor

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 22:32:53 pm »

I think that's a good idea Mike.  If you go a certain e.t. you get full credit for the race portion.   A small deduction for slower times equal to a car show deduction.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 00:12:25 am »

That is a good idea.

2manytoys

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 05:44:00 am »

MG, one of the originals. Your old Tomato is getting a freshen up BTW,...or at least some much needed love and will be back on the track some day.

Interesting on the handicap,...full race motor and slicks vs pump gas street tires. I still say, run what you brung. Let the 10 second cars run with the 12 second cars,...Pump gas, race gas, DOT, slick,....2110 or 2632, no index Dial it.

P

Here is an old MG car running DRKC

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 06:03:42 am »

I still say, run what you brung. Let the 10 second cars run with the 12 second cars

That was tried, and clearly the "12 second cars" didn't have a chance, so they left the party.

Something has to change if DRKC is to live long and prosper.

2manytoys

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 06:07:03 am »

I still say, run what you brung. Let the 10 second cars run with the 12 second cars

That was tried, and clearly the "12 second cars" didn't have a chance, so they left the party.

Something has to change if DRKC is to live long and prosper.

I agree,. What I posted was " I still say, run what you brung. Let the 10 second cars run with the 12 second cars,...Pump gas, race gas, DOT, slick,....2110 or 2632, no index Dial it."

In other words, whatever you have, fast or super fast, street or strip, run it,..just dial it in. No index.

P-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:09:23 am by 2manytoys » Logged

kingsburgphil

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 06:53:49 am »

How about a spec tire and the overall winners car is "retired" from further RKC racing. Kinda like the Indy 500.

still alive and kicking
nicolas

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2015, 11:59:53 am »

as much as i also think there is a need for rules that sum up the cars that compete in this class, i think that you can't please everyone. it will be and MUST be competitive. of all the competitors there is one car that can win.

with good rules there will be innovation, tricks, stepping up and improving. but that is part of the game. there also will be cheating one way or another, rules will be bent and broken.  that is something that can kill the fun.

i think a lot of people don't really mind not being competitive at the highest level of the class, but just want to take part of it and do it, but more then a few would be really pissed off if the next guy cheats. that is my opinion on it anyway.

also (my opinion as well  Grin) i think there is still room for improvement on the Geers car. so it can be beaten  Grin
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 18:57:01 pm by nicolas » Logged
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2015, 21:15:06 pm »

Hoping to be able to run the class.

Big deal if we run a little fuel and non VW casting heads ?

My car is a driver I will drive it to the track on DOT's and front runners ...run it and drive it home.   Hope to see the rule decision soon.

I don't have a back seat though so does that mean I'm disqualified ?

How about we let this happen before killing it with rules. Let's show our bad ass cars and bracket race and have some damn fun and give the spectators something to see.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 02:55:38 am »

Hoping to be able to run the class.

Big deal if we run a little fuel and non VW casting heads ?

My car is a driver I will drive it to the track on DOT's and front runners ...run it and drive it home.   Hope to see the rule decision soon.

I don't have a back seat though so does that mean I'm disqualified ?

How about we let this happen before killing it with rules. Let's show our bad ass cars and bracket race and have some damn fun and give the spectators something to see.

My thoughts were just suggestions,  maybe I  should clarify stock manifold spacing & valve covers,  just trying to stay away from the race motors with Autocraft heads ect.  .  there has to be some sort of guidelines or history is doomed to repeat itself.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:01:45 am by Bill Schwimmer » Logged

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
mg

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 21:15:28 pm »

MG, one of the originals.
Looks great on track Pat! Cool
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 21:00:18 pm »

I would not have a problem allowing injection, as long as the TB size is limited.
If you limited the heads to a VW style casting, carbs to 48mm max w/ a 42mm vent or 48mm TB & 1 3/4 exhaust, this would limit the class.
This would be very easy to check & enforce. A huge engine would be limited with these parameters. I would love the pump gas rule, but it would be challenging logistic wise. I know you cannot make everybody happy, but if you targeted the majority & kept the car count up it would be successful. Just my 2 pennies.     Bill

This class sounds great for the new Car I'm building, I would also agree on what Bill's suggestions using Pump Gas and possibly DOT style Tires, but hey, make the rules and I'll come and play, I think my son would also add another Car with his 67:)

I also think any VW style like Street Eliminators or CB Wedge ports do fall under that category but no Autocraft, Super Flo's, Comp E heads. This is just my opinion but again, I would go along with everyone's decisions...
deano

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2015, 04:03:01 am »

And, let's not forget this class was killed, mid-season without much notice or discussion.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
peps64
DKK

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 19:48:25 pm »

I'm just saying back in the day the car's were hauling ass I can't wait to see how fast they're going to be  now.

Hey Ben, Art you guy's in.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2015, 14:31:54 pm »

Would like to see some 10 second RKC street cars blasting down the track again!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 21:09:02 pm by WCB Hitler's Hot Rod » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
jrice

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2015, 06:04:28 am »

I always had a good time!

Jeff Rice
Portland,OR
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 20:23:06 pm »

I just got off the phone with Rich Kimball and at this time we have 5 contenders that will be signing up for  DRKC Jason Foster, Scott Psuma, Eric Justus , John Grella , Robert Kong if I do not have  your name correct let me know and I will correct it here. Also have three other contenders. If you know of any one else interested to run this class call Rich.

Thanks
Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Catbox

Slave to internal combustion.

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2015, 01:05:44 am »

I would love to see a resurgence of this class show up at the big events again.
Well...
....mostly because I missed it the first time around.
SCOTTP

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 17:12:48 pm »

I just got off the phone with Rich Kimball and at this time we have 5 contenders that will be signing up for  DRKC Jason Foster, Scott Psuma, Eric Justus , John Grella , Robert Kong if I do not have  your name correct let me know and I will correct it here. Also have three other contenders. If you know of any one else interested to run this class call Rich.

Thanks
Frenchy

Hey there Frenchy....It's Pescuma. I'm driving to the track, using pump gas and DOT drag radials...Should be fun...who cares who wins!  Give the crowd a show.

Scott Pescuma

Der Kleiner Panzers III

'63 Ghia Coupe

140" 2332cc powered Frameworks Dragster

'63 Notchback in the works
Udo

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2015, 17:19:49 pm »

I would be more than willing to participate but wont be able to with pump gas and VW style castings as I run almost 11.0 to 1 and street eliminators. I will drive from Corona to Fontana or any pre cruise needed and run with  no trailer like I always do but can't run the thing on straight pump gas. Anyhow whatever the decisions made are going to be if I fit in then I will participate. It should be about fun in my opinion.

My car will run 12's and I drive it all over but just have to mix some fuel in.

Sounds like a real street car :-)  But a discussion like that has no end.. only rules can limit the cars or you must do braket racing

Udo
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 17:22:00 pm by Udo » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: