The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 14:30:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350712 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  remember these "hot rod" parts from years gone by?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: remember these "hot rod" parts from years gone by?  (Read 10011 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 22:56:45 pm »

when i was 17 way back in '87  i got a bolt on select-a-drop for my '66....it cost me about £70 when the only dude around who could lower my beetle by cutting and turning the beam was gonna charge about £200......no contest......bolt that sucker on.....for a day or two......it only lowered the car by about 2"  and rode like crap.....i kept the car in my garage for a couple of months while i got the cash together to lower the front.....i didn't want to drive it round till it was dropped......i've always been kinda vain.   Grin

how exactly did that thing work? I never understood it. Did your beam feel warm from all the tension inside?  Grin
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 23:49:21 pm »

Mark, you're a sick, sick man, and in need of professional help! I mean, a Wink mirror?! Wink

I have to confess to buying some dayglo pink running boards...  Shocked But only so I could shorten them to clear the flip front and removeable wings on my race car! They were immediately painted satin black, and only cost £5 brand new because our local place hadn't sold any for years! Cheesy

Wait... I'M sick? Never had dayglow running boards. Hopefully, you're not too traumatized from that experience. I have a bigger respect for you now. It must be hard to admit to dayglow anything. HAHA!!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jick

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 00:09:28 am »

hey Jim......you're right that there was a reallly heavy duty anti-roll bar and a very thick gauge T bar kinda thing which bolted on under the framehead...as i recall the cross/top part of the T had two holes in it that corresponded to the two holes in the framehead just either side of the tunnel and bolted thru'.....the vertical line of the T came forward and linked somehow? to the anti-roll bar with a big nut/bolt arrangement......by tightening the nut it clamped up the bar thus pulling up the lower torsion bars.

or something like that?

it was 21 years ago and i was a dumb kid....as opposed to the dumb 38 year old i now am.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 00:34:31 am by jick » Logged

Hong Kong Syndicate

I'm not Db Cooper!

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 00:21:18 am »

The beer or soda can on the coil  Grin

I know, I know my English is very poor Tongue
Jim Ratto

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 00:25:23 am »

The beer or soda can on the coil  Grin
Grin
Tony M

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 00:42:50 am »

hey Jim......you're right that there was a reallly heavy duty anti-roll bar and a very thick gauge T bar kinda thing which bolted on under the framehead...as i recall the cross/top part of the T had two holes in it that corresponded to the two holes in the framehead just either side of the tunnel and bolted thru'.....the vertical line of the T came forward and linked somehow? to the anti-roll bar with a big nut/bolt arrangement......by tightening the nut it clamped up the bar thus pulling up the lower torsion bars.

or something like that?

it was 21 years ago and i was a dumb kid....as opposed to the dumb 38 year old i now am.

I sold some of them - and yes thats how they worked - or should i say - thats how they installed -  Shocked

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
jick

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 00:55:44 am »

Cheesy   Cheesy   even knowing nothing back then i knew it was a piece of shit.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 02:59:34 am »

how about all the guys makeing cheese grader's out of there decklids with louvers

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rennsurfer

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 04:06:13 am »

how about all the guys makeing cheese grader's out of there decklids with louvers

HAHAHA!!! I totally forgot about those, Danny... good call! I remember seeing that crap, everywhere. The decklids, hoods, running boards, etc. I never understood why someone would want to intentionally harm a perfectly innocent Volkswagen body. Mini-trucks... no big loss, but a VW? NO!

Cheese grater is a very funny analogy.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 04:27:00 am »

I used to see a guy running around So. Cal. years ago in a blue '64 with a louvered W decklid...oddly enough, I kinda liked it. Seems like his name was... Rohn Jayburn or something like that... Roll Eyes
Rennsurfer

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 04:29:32 am »

I used to see a guy running around So. Cal. years ago in a blue '64 with a louvered W decklid...oddly enough, I kinda liked it. Seems like his name was... Rohn Jayburn or something like that... Roll Eyes

HAHAHA!!! John... can you back this up? Don't worry, we're still friends. Sometimes... (sigh) people go through, um.. "stages" that they're not proud of.

Grin

Thanks for the laughs, Dave.

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 04:30:41 am »

One night at scooters now nicks we were hanging out maybe even drinking in the parking lot and this turqoise bug with about a million louvers on any place they could punch one. backs in and parks. So I walk up { when I was a smart azz } and tell the guy that his car was the largest cheese grader that I had ever seen. Lucky again I did not get my azz kicked. Just thought I'd share that now were talking louvers

Rennsurfer

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2008, 04:35:10 am »

HAHAHA!!! Great story, Danny.

How much to weld a section of this into my decklid and front fenders?

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2008, 04:41:03 am »

now thats funny! I dont care who you are. But really I can sneak your 67 in.

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 01:07:18 am »

Fred,
I'm thinking that Jayburn guy really needed the louverd decklid to give that mighty type IV some breathing room... or some such thing.
Oh well, at least it was an original W lid. Wink

~DR.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: