The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 01:53:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Old Skool 1679cc Cal Look Engines - What Spec's???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Old Skool 1679cc Cal Look Engines - What Spec's???  (Read 73980 times)
richie

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 21:53:14 pm »

Get the crank ground to chevy/buick journals on the big ends and run 5.325 rods,less weight and will like rpms more,yep knife edge the crank to alow it to cut through the oil and air easier,polish the inside of the case to help oil return to the sump easier and therefore less drag on crank etc,narrow the cam/crank gears if you use straight cuts=less friction.Loads more little tricks but all very time consuming,I think a hidden nitrous system would be the best route Cheesy

cheers richie,uk   

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 21:55:50 pm »

Or stop pissing about and get a big motor. Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 22:04:00 pm »

yeah yeah I've been waitin for someone to say that  Wink Smiley Thats just the easy way out dude - for me its all about proving a point  Smiley

Get the crank ground to chevy/buick journals on the big ends and run 5.325 rods,less weight and will like rpms more,yep knife edge the crank to alow it to cut through the oil and air easier,polish the inside of the case to help oil return to the sump easier and therefore less drag on crank etc,narrow the cam/crank gears if you use straight cuts=less friction.Loads more little tricks but all very time consuming,I think a hidden nitrous system would be the best route Cheesy

cheers richie,uk   

Thanks for the tips dude - there are some really cool ideas there - just how narrow can you go with the cam/crank gear  Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
richie

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2007, 22:12:43 pm »

yeah yeah I've been waitin for someone to say that  Wink Smiley Thats just the easy way out dude - for me its all about proving a point  Smiley

cheers richie,uk   

Thanks for the tips dude - there are some really cool ideas there - just how narrow can you go with the cam/crank gear  Huh

Till it breaks Cheesy
 Depends on brand/quality,you need to have it mocked in the case to see,oh and with you planned combo and a fk87 you better have some good springs on it,it will want to rev to 9.5/10 not 7500,
cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Lee.C

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2007, 22:19:46 pm »

cheers richie,uk   

Till it breaks Cheesy
 Depends on brand/quality,you need to have it mocked in the case to see,oh and with you planned combo and a fk87 you better have some good springs on it,it will want to rev to 9.5/10 not 7500,
cheers richie,uk

Cool I will look into that when I come to build it up - Also 9.5/10 REALLY  Huh Now that sound cool Grin - what springs do you recomend then  Huh Smiley

P.S sorry for all the question dude  Smiley

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2007, 22:30:55 pm »

Or Lee save your money and get a big motor. Grin

I will be texting this to you every day from now on.

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 22:41:57 pm »

cool got a link to it dude  Huh Smiley

mmh, only thing i can find so far is this thread:
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,1646.0.html

but dude, where did the w110 go?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 22:44:49 pm »

cool got a link to it dude  Huh Smiley

mmh, only thing i can find so far is this thread:
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,1646.0.html

but dude, where did the w110 go?

I've been chatting to KS "fastbrit" thats what  Wink Smiley we want to see this little engine into the 13's  Grin Grin Grin

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 23:00:01 pm »

but that's what greg aronson pulled off with a w130  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Lee.C

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 23:12:25 pm »

but that's what greg aronson pulled off with a w130  Wink

yeah but I hope to go lower than 14.1 with this little baby  Wink Smiley

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2007, 00:04:53 am »

fair enough  Wink
i'm sure you will enlighten me next time i ring you (when i'm having a guinness)
 Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Sander/DVK

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2007, 00:17:27 am »

What's your next motor Diederick? You allready have some plans?

Monkiboy, I like your 1679 thoughs Cool

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2007, 01:04:11 am »

What a great topic, i'm also planning to build me a 1679cc motor for my '64 bug. I just love high revvin' mouse motors.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2007, 03:19:39 am »

What a great topic, i'm also planning to build me a 1679cc motor for my '64 bug. I just love high revvin' mouse motors.

yeah its got LOTS of cool info in this thread - we'll have to arrange a race when our motors are finished  Wink Smiley

Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2007, 10:49:12 am »

yeah its got LOTS of cool info in this thread - we'll have to arrange a race when our motors are finished  Wink Smiley

I would love to  Cool

I'm not sure on the exhaust, I trendy fatboy exhaust or dual quiets for that old skool feel.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2007, 14:32:24 pm »

cool jesse, we should exchange some ideas at KWF in january.
sander, my plans have not changed from the last time i posted them. and i'm still waiting to hear from abc tuning about my case...
for the rest i'm merely collecting parts  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2007, 18:29:26 pm »

Maybe i'll join the 1679cc motor war too.
Will go back to my roots then, Grin

Hey guys may i join to at KWF??  Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2007, 18:34:59 pm »

no probs, we'll be there on saturday. hopefully having a 3 hour coffee break like last year  Grin

stanford, are you going to build another 1679cc again?
or better still rebuild the one you once had?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2007, 21:59:09 pm »

With all this talk about high reving mouse motors, I feel the urge to have a go. If I stick with a 69 crank and 85.5 cyls, and some big (enugh) carbs, and get a good head job on some 42x32 044, and by good I'm thinking about something around 1500$. And by dooing all the homework, tuned exhaust for the combo, adjusted intake lenghts and such. The idea is to use the money where everyone say it counts and see where it takes me. And If I at the same time could give a nod to the early boys in style thought... what could be better? any thoughts?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2007, 22:17:26 pm »

Day one of texting Grin

Lee.C

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2007, 22:47:27 pm »

Day one of texting Grin

Yeah yeah I got it - next you'll be telling me to put a hair dryer on it  Roll Eyes Smiley

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2007, 22:52:31 pm »

You have a text and yes it say put a hair dryer on it. Cheesy

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2007, 23:54:53 pm »

88x69 Grin This one Ive had some thought on, and of course Ive already started collecting parts for it (even if there is no car to put it in yet)

110 cam, 1.25 rockers
8.5:1
40x35.5 ported heads
IDA's on Deano manifolds
Vintage Berg sump, linkage, and power pulley
010 distributor (211 part number)
Deano valve covers
36hp shroud, Porsche 356/912 cooler
1 1/2" merge, single QP
4.37 r+p, 3.78, 2.21, 1.43, 1.04, 26" tires.

My '67 did a 14.8 with a similar 1600... I think I could get a high 13 out of this combo.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
folkevogn

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2007, 00:35:28 am »

With all this talk about high reving mouse motors, I feel the urge to have a go. If I stick with a 69 crank and 85.5 cyls, and some big (enugh) carbs, and get a good head job on some 42x32 044, and by good I'm thinking about something around 1500$. And by dooing all the homework, tuned exhaust for the combo, adjusted intake lenghts and such. The idea is to use the money where everyone say it counts and see where it takes me. And If I at the same time could give a nod to the early boys in style thought... what could be better? any thoughts?
This is a really good idè JHU, I think your on the right track here. Would be funny to see if the stock crank and rods can take the abuse and rather use more money on the heads, manifolds and carbs.
What about crankcase ventilation, there could be some extra power there aswell. every little thing helps ;-) and I think you should keep it as streeable as possible

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2007, 00:44:00 am »

You think it can be done with stock parts? I´ve heard that the rods can be used... but I´m not to sure about the original bolts...
I´m looking to get what I can out of this one, so it got to have CR and revs... but streetable.... I sure hope so!   

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
folkevogn

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2007, 00:59:32 am »

You think it can be done with stock parts? I´ve heard that the rods can be used... but I´m not to sure about the original bolts...
I´m looking to get what I can out of this one, so it got to have CR and revs... but streetable.... I sure hope so!   
I`m dont think they would handle it if you abuse it as a daily driver, (but weekend abuse would probably work just fine  Grin) I think your right about the rodbolts, I`m not an expert but there most be some of the old "guru`s" here on the Lounge that had to struggle with this back in the days and probably can give you a good answer..
would be funny to see the price tag on this project at the end.

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2007, 01:09:23 am »

yeah I've been think about costs and mine will probably end up costing ALMOST as much as a "BIG" motor but as I have said before its all about proving a point with me  Wink Smiley

As far as bolts go I have been told by One of the Old Guru's to use "arpm bolts" expensive but Well Worth it  Smiley

I have also been thinking about Valve size - I have been leaing more toward 42x37 because it would mean less port work - of course they will be in stock welded heads  Wink Smiley

Of course you could go with 40x35.5 or 40x37.5

Any thoughts guys Huh Smiley

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:26:46 am by monkiboy » Logged

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2007, 08:49:03 am »

Diederick i'll join you guys then at the coffee break if its ok.

Gonna build another one D,the old one i sold to an old friend.
 Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
nicolas

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2007, 10:55:51 am »

i want one too. just took apart the 1641 and now i allready want it back.

i do have the the crank, W110, exhaust, and the heads, but they need a lot of reworking as it blew one of the plugs. and it seems they were leaking CR. not sure if it were the cylinders (87mm non machined) or the heads itself. i also have the 1.25 rockers. all i need is a case and money to finish it... plus cooler. what do you guys run for cooler? stock and an external oilfilter? and maybe the 40 dells i want to sell, can make some good use.
anybody wants to share a project?  Grin
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2007, 13:46:17 pm »

Interesting! You`re saying that you wish to build a high reving mouse engine on a tight budget and with a original crank and rods? With enough punch to impress the boys in the hood? Are we talking race engine, no cooling, extreme CR?

How much power is possible in small engine like the one you`re thinking about and still have a driveable package? I have heard someone mention that the limit for a streetable 1600ccm engine would be around 125hp. I say if you reach 125hp with belt on and muffler you have a done a VERY good job. Agree?

Best rgs
Kalle
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 13:52:48 pm by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: