The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 23:28:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350727 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  First wheelie...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: First wheelie...  (Read 6575 times)
qcyk

« on: March 27, 2007, 13:18:06 pm »

I wondered who was the first man ever that pulls the front wheels up in the cal look history ??

any IDeAs?  Huh

B.T.W maybe someone of You could tell us stories about Your first wheelie ever?  Grin
When, where, in what car,what is like to see the sky in Your windscreen  Wink etc.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 16:43:50 pm »

I AM REMEMBER THAT HERBIE IN THE FIRST MOVIE LOVE BUG  MAKING ALREADY GREAT WHEELING NO ? BUT THEY HAD USED SOME MOVIE TIPS FOR THAT AND SPECIAL MODIFICATION ON THE BUG
I DON T HAVE ANY IDEA WHO WAS FIRST TO LIFT UP BUT I AM THINKING THAT IN THE LATE FIFTY MAY BE EARLIER
Cornpanzer

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 19:58:12 pm »

I remember my first time.....ahem...wheelie.
I put a pair of M&H slicks on the car and launched it at 5800 rpm.  I was totally unprepared for how hard the slicks hooked and how heavy your head is with a helmet on.  I can clearly remember seeing nothing but my sun visor and headliner until I was well past the christmas tree!   LOL

A few weeks later I got my pictures developed and you could clearly see air under the tires.  I showed EVERYONE that picture!  Grin

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Petter Carlberg

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 21:03:22 pm »

The first wheelie is a "milestone" for every racer. Personally I was a bit scared about how it would feel, but as long it´s straight it´s just fun!
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 22:27:50 pm »

WHAT A START NICE Shocked
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 02:18:07 am »

My first wheelie definitely caught me by surprise.  With a fresh 2332cc in the back of my old '62 Bug I bolted on my 7" Firestones and did a mild burn out.  I was still learning the car and really didn't get much heat in the tires at all.  I went straight from my burn out right up to the line and staged.  I remember waiting for what seemed like an eternity while the other car did his thing and staged.

The lights came down and I revved the engine up to I don't know, and let out the clutch like so many times before and promptly felt my head sail backward until I was looking at my roof.  Then the car came back down and my shift light was on!  I shifted into 2nd and I remember saying out loud, "Sh*t, that was a wheelie!"    Shocked

Excited, I came back to the pit area to check to see if my son (who had been video tapping me) got the wheelie on camera.  That was all that mattered!  Did he get it on tape!?!?! Grin  He did. Cheesy

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 14:15:16 pm »

You are lucky devil to have felt such sensations  Grin And it is very interesting to read stories "from the inside".  Wink
Roman

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 16:49:28 pm »

The first 10 or so wheelies were very smooth. I felt the wheels leaving the ground and smoothly landing again.
What shocked me was the first violent wheelie at SCC. It was like a big hand throwed my front end until the exhaust stopped the movement up. I tried to ride it out but when I hit the rev limiter at 8300 rpm I had to shift even though I still was at the highest point. At 40 miles per hour at the highest wheelie of your life you aint cocky... I shifted to slow and the front end hit the ground so almost lost my breath. When I lifted the clutch it popped one more wheelie and I thought "Oh no! Not another one". The second one was just a normal wheelie and the clock stopped at 11.59, 0.3 seconds slower than my best that day. I like the 3-4 inch wheelies but the 3-4 foot wheelies are NOT fun, even though they look cool.
Here is a video of the violent wheelie:
http://media.putfile.com/Wheeelie

Here's a photo, but sadly the signs and the armco barrier covers the most of it.

But Petter is still the weelie king of Sweden!
Jøran Larssen

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 13:49:07 pm »

Finally it happened to me aswell. At Gardermoen Raceway this weekend, on my first pass friday morning, I did what I have always done, reved it up to 6300 rpm and launched.

It was not scary at all, as the car launched smoothly and landed soft, but it was an incredible cool feeling :-)

The video below is from saturday morning (my second wheelie). Result: 12,05 @ 177 km/h

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qNO3WFwwHIg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qNO3WFwwHIg</a>

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 01:18:04 am by VW-Schnellfahrer » Logged

SCC 2010: 11.103 @ 192.00 km/h
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 14:17:47 pm »

joran and his flying four play  Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 16:06:19 pm »

Nice first wheelie joran
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 16:41:51 pm »

These are great. Around here in the SE USA fast VWs are still pretty rare. Fastest VW that I know of in the area has a 1835 in it.  Shocked I show these types of pics to my friends and co-workers and they can't believe a VW could do that. (Has it got a V8 in it?  Roll Eyes ) I so want to get my car done so I can hit some of the street legal races at the strips in the area. (Though I doubt the '67 will be doing wheelies any time soon.)

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 19:49:22 pm »

Finally it happened to me aswell. At Gardermoen Raceway this weekend, on my first pass friday morning, I did what I have always done, reved it up to 6300 rpm and launched.

It was not scary at all, as the car launched smoothly and landed soft, but it was an incredible cool feeling :-) Result: 12,05 @ 177 km/h

Looks scary to me as you head off to the right towards the barrier!!!!

Cool Cool Cool

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 20:13:58 pm »

Back in 2001 I wanted a wheelie so bad I broke my FF GT steering wheel. Cheesy I kept into it and ran a 12.62 @105 with a nice 6" wheelie. The return road was interesting as the wheel was bent into the signal switch. Shocked

1967, the only year that matters.
richie

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 22:34:07 pm »

First time on slicks and i get about 3 inches of air,wonder what happened,shift into 2nd and the car really moved around,totally freaked me out,the rest is history

<a href="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=4656598677422091483" target="_blank">http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=4656598677422091483</a>

now days this seems quite normal,cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 07:56:30 am »

More than can be said about the driver!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
ESH

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:19:33 am »

...now days this seems quite normal...

Just another Saturday morning drive...

Grin
richie

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 09:54:08 am »

More than can be said about the driver!  Grin

In my mind I am normal Cheesy

cheers richie,uk

richie

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 09:56:08 am »

Grin

Its funny.looking at that pic you would think that it was a VW event,not a Max power/Import/Ricer event
Gve them a good show though Smiley  cheers richie,uk

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 13:13:49 pm »

Grin

Its funny.looking at that pic you would think that it was a VW event,not a Max power/Import/Ricer event
Gve them a good show though Smiley  cheers richie,uk

No richie i think you can see it a (Max power/Import/Ricer) event because of ripspeed and all the chav's watching. Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: