The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:27:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  scared of the dark
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: scared of the dark  (Read 7670 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: June 18, 2008, 21:11:35 pm »

we all had our chance to cry about being the victim in our Bugs, being keyed, T-boned, scratched, dented, stood on and molested.

I know I am guilty of once or twice being a real asshole in my car once it had some go power. Been chased by neighbors, had cops called on me, destroyed property....more details later...  let's hear you confess now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 05:39:05 am by Jim Ratto » Logged
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 21:27:27 pm »

A guy in a 5.0 was riding my bumper in traffic so I took off in my '71. He was following close as we were weaving in and out of traffic. I finally got annoyed and whipped into a lane and as soon as he followed slammed on the brakes then down shifted and floored it. He thought he was going to hit me so he locked up the brakes. I got stopped at the next stop light and the guy pulls up and starts bitching at me about how that had been uncool.

I did the same thing another time cruising home late one night after partying. This guy in a jacked up truck had his lights right in my rear window. So I did the slam on brakes/down shift and floor it routine and he nearly ended up in the ditch. He stayed well back after that.

Thinking back on it now it seems pretty stupid, especially since I was driving the only lowered, dechromed, metallic green VW in town. Not too hard to pick out of a crowd.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 22:27:47 pm »

one day in the summer, I go by my friend's house, pick him up we go around corner of his street, and some guy has brand new white carpet unrolled in the street...  probably 10' x 10' square... too tempting....at 16 yr old

Drove onto it, brought r's way up, dumped clutch, left two jet black "S's" on the carpet...  guy comes running out screaminmg and shaking a hammer at us...  chased us on foot down the street...  poor guy..  Roll Eyes

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 22:30:36 pm »

Pouring rain... the kids across the street thought it was neat to throw mudballs at my '67... Shocked  Angry

I however thought it was more fun to chase them up on the lawn and proceed to do some full throttle donuts.  Grin Grin

That was with the 1641cc Kadronut motor.

Same family... different story... I used to have a moped that I would tool around on for fun and to visit my friends inthe neighborhood. They had this German Shepard mutt that would always chase me... the moped would go just fast enough to keep ahead of the dog. Then I bought a '78 Yamaha RD400... Chrome Bassani Chambers ported cylinders dual Bosch Blue coils mounted on the down tubes. So I'm leaving my house on this rocket and the dog comes after me. This time I turn after him and follow him up onto the front porch... rapping that 2-2troke up about 8k rpm. The mom is watching me through the kitchen window. I whip it around and take off across the lawn spinning through 2nd gear... from then on, the dog would bark at me from the porch as I rode by but never came after me again.

Grin Grin
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 00:01:44 am by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 22:54:05 pm »

HEY ! you can be old to

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 22:54:45 pm »

HEY ! you can be old to

I'm too calm now.

there was a guy that lived around corner from my girlfriend in 1989, had an old 442 Olds he was always washing and waxing every time I flew by. I used to come around corner, on full steam, rear tires sliding and screaming, and go full bore past the guy, like twice a week, and every time he'd scream at me "hey f--khead!!! Slow the F--K down!!!" and I'd always hang my finger out the window and keep going. One day he fired up that 442 and chased me through town, crazy TV show stuff... like going 75mph in residential, hiding in other's garages, finally got to my work and there was Johnny Law waiting for me.  How the F that happened?  Roll Eyes
The guy in the Olds was there too and he was redfaced mad... cop told me I was going to the can if the guy wanted me to... I was 17 and shaking... stupid Jim at it again.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 22:59:30 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 23:22:00 pm »

this is what I drove in high sckool , well when it would rain during the day I would go to this parking lot that was owned by the school district and empty of school bus's during the day. The cement was polished and like ice during the rain, so I'd go out there and practice drifting, it was a blast till one day, I was buzzing around and I look over and every entrance come pulling in a fricken cop car! ya I got a ticket for tresspassing. GOOD TIME"S

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Speed-Randy

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 23:35:32 pm »

i parked a total peice of crap in nicks superburger parking lot the friday befor classic! oh wait, that was someother douchebags on a different thread Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 00:03:18 am »

i parked a total peice of crap in nicks superburger parking lot the friday befor classic! oh wait, that was someother douchebags on a different thread Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Now that's funny right there!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 00:58:06 am »

I might have a couple of stories to tell.....

I remember one night cruising beach Blvd in my single port 1600 '63 rag I was about 17 and it was prom night. There was this guy and his date all dressed up in a white 5.0 and he thought he was the shit. Well I was messing with him, my car was slow but looked bad ass all low and with a louvered deck lid and hideaway muffler. So I was toying with him and would run up along side then he'd goose it this went on for a bit then on his last attemp he goosed it right into the back of a stopped car I then jumped on the 405 and circled back around to drive back by the guy and his date standing by the wreck... hey I was just making sure they were ok... yeah thats it. i didn't start laughing till   I saw they weren't hurt honest.......  Jason   those were the days.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 01:09:22 am »

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good stuff. Thanks for almost makin' me spit Negra Modelo all over my monitor.

Great thread idea, by the by. Way too many stories to tell, for me. All that I know is that my 1776cc embarrassed a lotta V8 cars back then when I was a teenager and that's okay with me. (insert Dr. Evil laugh here)

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 01:11:07 am »

New keyboard for Mark The Orange.

I also park at Nick's.
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 03:22:50 am »

one day in the summer, I go by my friend's house, pick him up we go around corner of his street, and some guy has brand new white carpet unrolled in the street...  probably 10' x 10' square... too tempting....at 16 yr old

Drove onto it, brought r's way up, dumped clutch, left two jet black "S's" on the carpet...  guy comes running out screaminmg and shaking a hammer at us...  chased us on foot down the street...  poor guy..  Roll Eyes

Jim your an asshole  Cheesy hehehe

What about the time you took Anton's car out for a little test and tune in front of the shop....you weren't trying to intentionally break his tranny were you? Or were you just trying to pull wheelies on the street @ 8,000,000,000 rpm  Grin

The good? old days  Cool

tw

Operations Trask Manufacturing
Design, Prototype, & Dyno Tune Custom Motorcycle Exhaust
sheep

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 14:39:45 pm »

I dont think the vw has anything to do with it.

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 16:36:15 pm »

Jim your an asshole  Cheesy hehehe

What about the time you took Anton's car out for a little test and tune in front of the shop....you weren't trying to intentionally break his tranny were you? Or were you just trying to pull wheelies on the street @ 8,000,000,000 rpm  Grin

The good? old days  Cool

tw

hey I was just trying to show Anton how to drive  Grin
I dont think the vw has anything to do with it.

yeah I think it has to do with the assholes I hung around with
alfie the monster

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 23:36:00 pm »

Too many stories  Wink

Once at college I drove round the roundabout the wrong way (no speed bumps that way), pulled a few cones out the way of the spaces and parked in the middle. Got in a friends car a went to McD's. How was I supposed to know the blood bank lorry was coming that day  Roll Eyes

That episode and my stinger equipped 1679 (hey I was 17) got my banned from driving on the college site. That's when the college neighbours started to complain  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Jim Ratto

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 23:38:54 pm »

Too many stories  Wink

Once at college I drove round the roundabout the wrong way (no speed bumps that way), pulled a few cones out the way of the spaces and parked in the middle. Got in a friends car a went to McD's. How was I supposed to know the blood bank lorry was coming that day  Roll Eyes

That episode and my stinger equipped 1679 (hey I was 17) got my banned from driving on the college site. That's when the college neighbours started to complain  Grin

Grin

I figured stingers would come into this thread soon.
alfie the monster

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 23:46:50 pm »

Grin

I had an arguement with one of the college neighbours about my car being legal over it. So one day I parked blocking his drive way with my MOT certificate stuck to the window along my insurance. Well it was legal when it was MOT'd, but then I went home and changed the exhaust...

He rang up and complained, so I had to move it. He gave me a real mouthfull of abuse when I got to my car. I started it up, blew him a kiss and side stepped the clutch at about 5500 rpm and snaked off down the road  Cheesy

They let me park back in college after that  Wink

There's also the time I got airbourne over a roundabout in that car racing a Renault 5 Turbo. Amongst other stories. There's hardly any times of been a real arse in my red one. I drive it quickly for sure, just not as badly or at the wrong times (I hope)

JG54 Grunherz
Jim Ratto

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 00:05:22 am »

Grin

I had an arguement with one of the college neighbours about my car being legal over it. So one day I parked blocking his drive way with my MOT certificate stuck to the window along my insurance. Well it was legal when it was MOT'd, but then I went home and changed the exhaust...

He rang up and complained, so I had to move it. He gave me a real mouthfull of abuse when I got to my car. I started it up, blew him a kiss and side stepped the clutch at about 5500 rpm and snaked off down the road  Cheesy

They let me park back in college after that  Wink

There's also the time I got airbourne over a roundabout in that car racing a Renault 5 Turbo. Amongst other stories. There's hardly any times of been a real arse in my red one. I drive it quickly for sure, just not as badly or at the wrong times (I hope)

fun stories

I have some neighbor stories. And I ran Quiet Packs! For years this asshole would call cops on me anytime I was adjusting carbs, then it got to the point (I am not kidding) when he would call cops on me for washing my car in my parents driveway. One night, when Sheep and I were 400+ miles away, at VW Classic, this idiot called the cops on "me." My parents opened garage and said "he's been gone for two days....sorry."
I bought a 1970 Kombi and parked it at curb between our house and his. He called cops because it was an "eyesore." So, just for him, I hung a hangman's noose in rear window of bus, in his plain sight.
Final straw was one night before Pleasanton Bug Bash, I was waxing my car in garage, 10pm. Cops pull up. "Jim we got another complaint about you and your car...." I said "feel the motor" it was stone cold. So they roll their eyes, obviously irritated with my dickhead neighbor and leave. a minute or two goes by and the asshole is IN my garage and grabs me by the shoulder. I grabbed floorjack handle out of my jack and said "I will knock your fucking head clean off if you come near me." Bad move...he ran home with tail between legs and calls cops...they come right back and read me my rights... ended up on some stupid probation for noise offenses. Judge came down hard...
year or two later, I had moved miles and miles away....one night my friend Billy and I were back in town, goofing around with JD, bright idea to go pay the asshole a visit in my Bug. It was 1am, car was in full kill mode, with mag, 48's, Superflows, and big 3" muffler....we made 2 or 3 passes past his house @ 7000+ until his lights came on in house, then got the fuck out of there.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 00:37:19 am »

well i'm still young and my vw is going to be fast in a couple of weeks so let's talk about it then! Grin

Glitter don't make you faster.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 01:08:07 am »

R5 Turbos, paying back neighbors, and stingers... at least the first two rock. Never owned a stinger and never will. Great story, Jim. By the end of it, I was smilin'. I can fully relate.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
deano

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 03:10:42 am »

When I replace the wall-to-wall carpeting in my house, I will be sure to call you..... Anyone want the video rights?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 03:37:26 am »

When I replace the wall-to-wall carpeting in my house, I will be sure to call you..... Anyone want the video rights?

Hey Jim,
We'll have to get Anton to show everybody how to do a real burnout with ATF fluid...that should take care of Deano's carpet  Grin

I think he would be best for the job... with my 1606cc power plants  Grin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lFIza4fGW-4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/lFIza4fGW-4</a>

tw

Operations Trask Manufacturing
Design, Prototype, & Dyno Tune Custom Motorcycle Exhaust
Sam K

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 04:13:51 am »

I was sitting at a stoplight one sunny afternoon. In the car were a couple girls in a honda or something and they were listening to some really obnoxious music. I turned my radio up just enough tomdrown out theirs. In retaliation, they turn thier stereo up really loud. I had an MSD box with a two step rev limiter (set at 4500 rpm's for the launch). So I get up on the two step and my car starts backfiring, popping and shooting flames out of the muffler which was pointed in their general direction. They turned their stereo down. I'm sure more asshole stories will come to me.
ESH

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 09:34:36 am »

... Never owned a stinger and never will ...

Someone once pointed out to me that stingers are OK until people start hurlin' rocks at ya'.
 Shocked

I ran one for a few months on my then daily 2332 and I now understand what they were saying!
 Grin

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 16:09:17 pm »

Ahh, the stinger phase Grin I went through one myself when I was about 17-18, for probably 6 months. My parents would me park at the end of the drive so I wouldnt wake them when I left for school, and my dad was constantly tripping over the damn thing!!! Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 18:45:42 pm »

Hey Jim,
We'll have to get Anton to show everybody how to do a real burnout with ATF fluid...that should take care of Deano's carpet  Grin

I think he would be best for the job... with my 1606cc power plants  Grin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lFIza4fGW-4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/lFIza4fGW-4</a>

tw

the Clement driveway smokeshow...  I think Anton could take care of burnign some rug up

Of course there was the day I wrote my name in oil and rubber in front of BH when I blew the HP1 off that morning.  Grin

Too bad Bryan SODA isn't here to contribute to some friendly, considerate driving habits he had way back when.
alfie the monster

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 23:07:14 pm »

Ahh, the stinger phase Grin I went through one myself when I was about 17-18, for probably 6 months. My parents would me park at the end of the drive so I wouldnt wake them when I left for school, and my dad was constantly tripping over the damn thing!!! Cheesy

Funnily enough, that's the same age I had mine, and for the smae length of time too  Grin

I remember one night dropping my friends off one night at about 3am and roaring off home. They sat on the kerb listening and heard me kill my motor when I got home. Which was 2 miles away...

I also remember a trip in my red car, we were coming back from a show sat cruising at 65 on the dual carriage way when a body kitted Golf went past a few of us at 80ish. I was looking in my mirror thinking someones gotta have a pop at these boys, and nobody did. Well nobody until these guys got alongside me  Wink A quick blip of the throttle, select 3rd and stomp on the throttle and left them for dead open mouthed. A little further up the road we hit a traffic jam. As we pulled to a stop these guys pulled alongside me (still open mouthed). One of the guys rolled down his window and asks 'what the fucks that'. My reply? 'It's a Beetle'. He then asked more specificly, 'what's in it?!?!?' So I stole the Funky Pete reply....

'ME'

Cheesy

JG54 Grunherz
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 19:07:04 pm »

Hahahaha good story!  Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
peach_

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 19:18:34 pm »

Funnily enough, that's the same age I had mine, and for the smae length of time too  Grin

I remember one night dropping my friends off one night at about 3am and roaring off home. They sat on the kerb listening and heard me kill my motor when I got home. Which was 2 miles away...

I also remember a trip in my red car, we were coming back from a show sat cruising at 65 on the dual carriage way when a body kitted Golf went past a few of us at 80ish. I was looking in my mirror thinking someones gotta have a pop at these boys, and nobody did. Well nobody until these guys got alongside me  Wink A quick blip of the throttle, select 3rd and stomp on the throttle and left them for dead open mouthed. A little further up the road we hit a traffic jam. As we pulled to a stop these guys pulled alongside me (still open mouthed). One of the guys rolled down his window and asks 'what the fucks that'. My reply? 'It's a Beetle'. He then asked more specificly, 'what's in it?!?!?' So I stole the Funky Pete reply....

'ME'

Cheesy

love that  Grin Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: