The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:23:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350773 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A-1 Sidewinder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A-1 Sidewinder  (Read 29042 times)
DKK Ted
DKK

« on: June 30, 2010, 02:43:31 am »

Does anybody that has a A1Sidewinder have pics of it in the car you can post?? Any angle. And also feed back on performance with a big motor. Have a 1 3/4 Lowdown now, selling it to a friend of mine to get the Sidewinder. But would like to see the set-up beforehand. Thanks guy's

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:52:16 am »

Here ya go Ted...I found this pic !.... Wink

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:57:49 am »

Diiferent angle

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:08:51 am »

I have to confess that I don't like them. The whole point of the back end of a Cal Look Beetle to me is the idea that something not stock is lurking back there, whether that impression is given by a cabrio 'lid or a pair of quietpacks, but that system is just too hidden. It's subtlety is lost on me I'm afraid! It'd be quite good on a Resto Cal with a big motor, GFK style! Shocked Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
LuftsickTero

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:40:33 am »

The whole point of the back end of a Cal Look Beetle to me is the idea that something not stock is lurking back there, whether that impression is given by a cabrio 'lid or a pair of quietpacks, but that system is just too hidden.

This is something I've thought also, but on the other hand most of non-VW persons wouldn't notice the difference between the exhausts nor cabriolet lid and VW person notices the missing peashooters anyway.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 11:47:30 am »

i really like the sidewinder exhaust as long as the pea shooter recesses in the rear apron are filled!
and i quite like glenn gaskey's exhaust too, but i believe that one's custom made:

i'll stick to my dual QPs though Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 16:14:37 pm »

GFK style! Shocked Cheesy

Tongue

THE GERMAN FOLKS VW KLUB
Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 16:23:29 pm »

Grin 

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 18:44:58 pm »

I have a CB version on my 181 due to its short back. i did not want any silencer sticking behind my rear bumper (prohibited by local law). It is performing very well with my 2276 with 37 mm exhaust valves. The sound is perfect for me. Slightly on a louder side.

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 19:30:28 pm »

Nice engine !

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 20:14:13 pm »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only A-1 sidewinder header that I see on this thread, so far, is the picture of Glenn's car. Ted, I believe that Tiger's is slightly different, compared to those images. Unless, of course, he's changed 'em. I love mine... can't wait to see it with a big engine coupled to it, some day. The ground clearance is great and at the same time, having a nice long merged collector.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 20:17:28 pm »

is glenn's an A-1 production model through the right peashooter hole? if so, pretty cool!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 22:11:56 pm »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only A-1 sidewinder header that I see on this thread, so far, is the picture of Glenn's car. Ted, I believe that Tiger's is slightly different, compared to those images. Unless, of course, he's changed 'em. I love mine... can't wait to see it with a big engine coupled to it, some day. The ground clearance is great and at the same time, having a nice long merged collector.
Hey Mark, Well, you Tigar, if you want it a certain way, he'll do it, but you can't beat his quality. When I order my Sidewinder, it'll be all black ceramic coated. Talked to Tigar at the Classic, gave me some good idea's. Enough Bling for me. You'll hear, but won't see it, well maybe a little.  Wink

Ted

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 22:23:32 pm »

Say Mark, not to side track my own post, but whats the name of the guy in DKP, he had a real nice black car, sold it, now he has a very cool almost white Type III SQB W/BRM's? If he's on here, do you know his handle? Need to PM him. Thanks Mark

Ted

VW Classic 2012
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 23:56:06 pm »

if you want it a certain way, he'll do it, but you can't beat his quality.

THATS TRUE ABOUT TIGER!!!

THE GERMAN FOLKS VW KLUB
Sarge

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 02:58:55 am »

Say Mark, not to side track my own post, but whats the name of the guy in DKP, he had a real nice black car, sold it, now he has a very cool almost white Type III SQB W/BRM's? If he's on here, do you know his handle? Need to PM him. Thanks Mark

Ted

That's Don Brown, Ted and he's not a computer guy... well, so far anyways.  I've come to like my choice of Tiger's Sidewinder.  It quieted things down and I like the "mystery" of where the exhaust system is.  There's some added vibration from having the muff up under the fender but not enough to cause alarm.

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 03:32:33 am »

Sargie steps up to the "solarized" coating.  Nice.   Wink

Mike H.

Sven was right.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 06:11:49 am »

Ted

That's Don Brown, Ted and he's not a computer guy... well, so far anyways.  I've come to like my choice of Tiger's Sidewinder.  It quieted things down and I like the "mystery" of where the exhaust system is.  There's some added vibration from having the muff up under the fender but not enough to cause alarm.

Thank you Sarge, for the info. on Don, thats what I'm looking for to quiet things down a bit, well, maybe more than a bit with black coating instead. But your looks hot! I hear the muffler itself is quieter than the Lowdown I have. My lowdown is a bit load. I'm trying to figure how I want the exit to be, thats why I'm asking for some pics to see different set-up's to help me decide. Your's look very close to what I want, straight back facing slightly down with a straight cut, not angled. Thanks Sarge for your reply.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 06:59:21 am »

I dig the R32 in the photo above.... Cool

Ted PM me your number and I'll have Don call you.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 07:36:27 am »

Hey Mark, Well, you Tigar, if you want it a certain way, he'll do it, but you can't beat his quality. When I order my Sidewinder, it'll be all black ceramic coated. Talked to Tigar at the Classic, gave me some good idea's. Enough Bling for me. You'll hear, but won't see it, well maybe a little.  Wink

When Tiger was building my exhaust in 2008, I originally wanted the black ceramic coating, too. For some reason, he talked me out of going that route. Eventually, I'll get mine coated with the usual finish, then paint it black.

is glenn's an A-1 production model through the right peashooter hole? if so, pretty cool!

As far as I know, Glenn's header is a production model but with a custom muffler/tip. I had Tiger do a custom muffler w/dual tips on mine. The overall fit, construction, and quality is unmatched.

~Sarge
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 09:03:25 am »

What is an AC cobra without the side pipes? Half a Cobra at best...  what is a cal-looker without exhaust? The exhaust is a important part of the styling of a car... hidden exhausts are "seen" on things like a Prius...

Check out the exhaust on the Golf in the picture above... by far a meaner look than on the thing... the thing looks like it's got central heating or something to me... Lips Sealed

Just a personal opinion

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:08:44 am by JHU » Logged

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 09:12:50 am »

Yeah.....Tiger says it's best to Hot coat it "then" scuff & paint it black...This way if it gets a oil burn you can always re-paint it ..!! Speaking of paint.....Can anyone recommend some "Good" High temp header paint that got a nice satin Black color...?..... Grin

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 09:42:43 am »

this is what you want, almost ceramic-like finish:

VHT Flameproof (up to 1000C / 2000F)

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 12:16:48 pm »

Just a personal opinion

But a VERY good one.

Thanks JHU.

BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 13:43:07 pm »

this is what you want, almost ceramic-like finish:

VHT Flameproof (up to 1000C / 2000F)

You're right... that's good stuff, Died. It's not cheap, but like the old saying goes; you get what you pay for.

~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 17:13:04 pm »

I think I've used it before..... works great but gave me more of a "Blueish look" than black..? I used to get this paint ( Can't remember the brand) from a local auto paint store but they no longer make it.. that was a "True Black" color also wasn't cheap But was perfect...!......Any others out there ?

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 18:02:50 pm »

The whole point of the back end of a Cal Look Beetle to me is the idea that something not stock is lurking back there, whether that impression is given by a cabrio 'lid or a pair of quietpacks, but that system is just too hidden.

This is something I've thought also, but on the other hand most of non-VW persons wouldn't notice the difference between the exhausts nor cabriolet lid and VW person notices the missing peashooters anyway.

Non-Vw Persons don't matter.

I do like to see the exhaust, too. But I am getting tired of seeing the same "fat boy" type muffler hanging of the back, as well.

Pulling the muffler to check the valves is an inconvenience I'm not willing to make Roll Eyes

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 19:38:58 pm »

Pulling the muffler to check the valves is an inconvenience I'm not willing to make Roll Eyes

Never thought of that!

But I am getting tired of seeing the same "fat boy" type muffler hanging of the back, as well.

Quite true!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 20:04:06 pm »

DKK Steve was the first I saw to run a hidden exhaust. I loved the idea and copied it as soon as I saw it. Cal-Look was like playing poker you don't want to show your hand too soon. The V-8 boys started to pick up on the dual packs so the hidden muffler was an ace-in-the-hole!  Wink  That plus the added ground clearance made it a win-win!

I wish I had some photos of the system on my car. I still have the muffler assembly but the header is gone. I will probably get Tiger to recreate it as closely as possible as it was something that set my car apart from the rest and something I was particularly proud of.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 20:06:38 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 00:29:42 am »

I think I've used it before..... works great but gave me more of a "Blueish look" than black..? I used to get this paint ( Can't remember the brand) from a local auto paint store but they no longer make it.. that was a "True Black" color also wasn't cheap But was perfect...!......Any others out there ?

Yeah, I've been using this on my current system. Works well.

~Sarge
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: