The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 19:55:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Ignition Switch Gremlins???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ignition Switch Gremlins???  (Read 1956 times)
Paul Reveres Ghia

« on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:28 am »

I have managed to get my Ghia up and running which is a big relief, all seems to run fine, starts on the button- Everything is Rosie you could say.....

....until I turn the ignition off- Nothing happens, the car keeps running! So i disconnect the battery, Nothing happens- the car keeps running! So I disconnect the positive into the coil from the ignition switch- and  it turns off.

This leads me to believe that the problem is inside the switch and that the switched live terminal is remainning live permanantly- This is also reflected in the tacho reading when the ignition is off and the engine not running.

Is this likely to be the problem??? Is the ignition switch repairable?

It is also worth mentioning that leaving it in this state overnight appears to before I realised the problem I left the battery connected overnight and it appears to have fried the coil!!

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running a 1600 with an 009 and pertronix and dual 40 drla's

Seth Cool
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:34:03 pm »

Purely guesswork, but I would think that you should be able to take the switch apart on a lowlight. If it's the same as a beetle, and I see no reason why not, the front bit is all purely key, and they can be rebuilt with different tumblers so there should be no problem with splitting that off the electricky bit on the back. Whether the actual switch part itself can be rebuilt, I don't know, but I would have thought so. If not, just get another complete ignition assembly and swap the switch part over so you have a new switch and your original key.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Paul Reveres Ghia

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:41:29 pm »

Thanks, I will take it out and have a look-  Smiley
mcmscott

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 15:08:09 pm »

Do you have an alternator or a generator? The reason is with an alternator the field wire will "back feed" into the ign circut when shut down, to check if this is the problem start the car and then turn it off , if it still runs pull off the field wire, if it then dies this is your problem, the fix is a 20c diode wired into the field wire.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: