The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:05:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  What to use for preserving a case on the outside?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What to use for preserving a case on the outside?  (Read 6853 times)
Torben Alstrup

« on: April 07, 2010, 23:56:43 pm »

After glass beading.
I have some older but good cases on the shelf that are not very nice on the outside. I have glass beaded cases before, but I have never  found the "super solution" to preserve the surface afterwards, so that it stays reasonably nice at least for a year or two. I dont like painting them for several reasons, heat being one of them.
But what else to do?

Let me hear ya!!

Torben

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:29:33 pm »

my only idea is Cosmoline, the same goldish stuff the factory used to preserve cast parts.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 16:53:29 pm »

Torben, i use Valvoline wax spray-cans, the stuff you use to preserve youre sheet metal on the inside of
your car. You simply wash it off with thinner and the case is brand new again. (WD40 evaporates and the
oxidation starts again). My 2 cts.

Done ? Not Yet.
besserwisser

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 22:59:12 pm »

I have found a cheap way of stopping the oxidation of magnesiumcases that is easy to wash away. The swedish company Biltema sells a linseed based corossion spray that makes the case dark and unsensative to oxidation. It washes away in my 90degree parts cleaner.  You spry it on, wait for a day and wipe the case down with a dry cloth. I have about 50 cases that have been standing around for 5 years with no corrosion.
pupjoint

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 12:11:35 pm »

never tried before, but for work, we use CRC's Softseal to prevent downhole tools from corrosion.

dunno how it works in mg cases.
KRS808

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:18:03 am »

Dow No. 7 (MIL-M-3171A TypeIV) for magnesium.
Alodine 1201 (MIL-C-5541) for aluminum.
Both are chemical conversion coatings which can be applied by spray bottle and neutralized by cold water rinse.
Hope this helps. Aloha
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 18:35:55 pm »

Try this: http://www.sharkhide.com/mpinfo.html

Haven't tried it myself, but I asked and they said it gives good results.

TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 23:44:51 pm »

OK.
Thank you all.
There are a couple of solutions to try out.
(I will have to check what can be bought locally.) The Biltema solution could turn out to be the easy way out.
T
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 02:08:48 am »

Hi Torben,

You glass bead your cases?? I've always thought it was a bad idea even with a through cleaning afterwards.
So... am I just old fashioned, or have I been wrong all this time?
Thoughts please Grin

Thanks!
  DR

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 03:31:02 am »

A couple years ago tony from wolfsburg west sent his stock 36 HP case out and had it recoated with some kind of gold colored plateing, Like original. Sorry I cant remember the name of the process. But it came out bitchen.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
kingsburgphil

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 03:36:51 am »

Aircraft Spruce sells Mag treatment in a kit form.  Regarding glass beading a case, did it once. Cold tanked the case first, plugged all the oil galleys
and an hour in an industrial ultrasonic tank after glass beading. Got lucky, but I don't think I'd do it again.

P.S. the process Danny is referring to is called "chrome pickle", if I'm not mistaken  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 05:42:26 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:06:48 am »

Hi Torben,

You glass bead your cases?? I've always thought it was a bad idea even with a through cleaning afterwards.
Thoughts please Grin

Thanks!
  DR

Not always. But around here the weather is pretty harsh on the cases. And sometimes I get a case or two, that holds specs, but are very attacked by surface erosion. Then I get them glass beaded. But I do prefer "just" to steam clean them. Dry ice cleaning is also very good, but the guys I know that do that dont ride the same day they saddle, and it is relatively expensive.
T
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 16:15:17 pm »

Hi Torben,

Thoughts please Grin

Thanks!
  DR

Not always. But around here the weather is pretty harsh on the cases. And sometimes I get a case or two, that holds specs, but are very attacked by surface erosion. Then I get them glass beaded. But I do prefer "just" to steam clean them. Dry ice cleaning is also very good, but the guys I know that do that dont ride the same day they saddle, and it is relatively expensive.
T

Got it!

Thanks for the reply. I must admit, I've used a few "ugly" cases that were otherwise good.
Additionally, I've never painted a case.

~DR.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 16:56:52 pm »

I'd be really concerned with the "critical surfaces" such as the case parting line and oil pump bore when using abrasive media.  You could bolt it together to do the blasting I suppose?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Deadly1

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 04:37:17 am »

I recall a local shop back in the 70's that started glass beading their rebuilt motors. They looked fantastic but as I recall most of them suffered bearing failures from the left over glass beads. If we're voting I vote bad idea! wayne
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 02:55:56 am »

X2 on Bead blasting a case - bad idea = bearing failure!

The machine shop I use has a Hot water (scalding hot) parts washer. Cleans everything spotless.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
kingsburgphil

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 03:56:43 am »

X2 on Bead blasting a case - bad idea = bearing failure!

The machine shop I use has a Hot water (scalding hot) parts washer. Cleans everything spotless.

I concur, I used machines like that for decades. But finish wise, cases come out as they went in...by design.

Returning a case to original finish is a different story, here's a 71 case I used an aluminum cleaner on...mistake!

I tried using a soda blaster...better, but still not original. Next I'll try the Mag treatment kit that Aircraft Spruce

sells, after that it's chrome pickle($$$).
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 04:19:50 am »

Nice Chandelier! ^^^

Joe Ruiz knows how to do it, but won't tell Smiley

Is this chrome pickling?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=587241

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:22:02 am by OgCalLook » Logged

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
kingsburgphil

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 04:42:01 am »

If it is, it's one step past what I'd call normal.  It's pretty, but as a child I don't recall my fathers new 55 oval having a gold engine block. Or his 59 bus or his 65 beetle either.  Of course, as usual I may be mistaken.

I think these guys can help...www.techplate.com/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:57:38 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: