The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 14:48:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350758 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Other vehicles you have or used to have... anything goes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Other vehicles you have or used to have... anything goes  (Read 36061 times)
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« on: January 15, 2009, 23:28:19 pm »

The pic Sarge posted of his old Mini Truck got me thinking SOME of you might just be in to other stuff besides VW's.

There are no rules other than I'd like for this thread to be about cars/trucks/planes/boats/motorcycles or whatever that YOU currently own or used to own... anything goes (including VW Wink) The more pic's the better...

I'll start this off with something normal and work my way in to some of the "different" stuff  Grin

Here goes... 1982 To#¤ta 4X4, great vehicle to tow behind the Motorhome...

Next?

~DR.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 23:39:53 pm »

This spends most of it's time being lent out to my friends when their VW's are down Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:45:12 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
lawrence

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 23:59:53 pm »

I'll add another To#¤ta to the mix. Grin My daily driver is a 07 Tacoma access cab, 4cyl and I have a '56 Beetle of course.

I used to own an 86 GTI and a 88 ford f150.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Chris W

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 00:13:29 am »

My daily driver-

My old 65 I sold a year ago.

And the new project car-

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 00:45:05 am »

What is it with To#¤ta's?! A lot of my VW friends have them as second (or first Roll Eyes) cars as well.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 00:54:55 am »

I´m a "die hard" VW enthusiast. After using my old ´61 as a daily, I switched to a 1984 Mexican bug "silver edition". After few years I purchased a Golf from German military surplus. One of few cars made on special order of Bundeswehr.

The pic was made during my trip from Hamburg when we stopped to visit Wolfsburg factory.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 00:56:52 am by 181 » Logged
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:03:16 am »

What is it with To#¤ta's?! A lot of my VW friends have them as second (or first Roll Eyes) cars as well.

Good stuff guys!!

The Military golf is cool!

I see a trend as well Zach... I must admit I'm diggin' the FJ Cruiser Smiley

I'll stick to my current collection 'O junque for now...

Next one:
1950 Flxible Visicoach bus/motorhome conversion. Converted back in the late 60's, I bought it in the early 90's (Rayburn was there Wink). I use it every chance I get... it turns heads everywhere you go.

~DR.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:18:49 am »

Next one:
1950 Flxible Visicoach bus/motorhome conversion. Converted back in the late 60's, I bought it in the early 90's (Rayburn was there Wink). I use it every chance I get... it turns heads everywhere you go.

~DR.

You would have to just to see the whole thing! Wink

WhiteTrash

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 01:39:48 am »

The pic Sarge posted of his old Mini Truck got me thinking SOME of you might just be in to other stuff besides VW's.

There are no rules other than I'd like for this thread to be about cars/trucks/planes/boats/motorcycles or whatever that YOU currently own or used to own... anything goes (including VW Wink) The more pic's the better...

I'll start this off with something normal and work my way in to some of the "different" stuff  Grin

Here goes... 1982 To#¤ta 4X4, great vehicle to tow behind the Motorhome...

Next?

~DR.

I actually picked up on the picture of your RV and the one behind one of your Burros on the thread with Jeff's Burro yesterday. I've got a bit of a think for those old RV's and RV's in general.

This is what i just bought and will take to SCC, not as old as yours and needs some TLC but its got a tail lift and the Bug fits in the back. A 1975 Bedford Plaxton Coach, a house with workshop on wheels  Cool Grin

This is my old boss' (when i worked in the restoration garage) '73 Dodge Trafco Team Lotus RV.  The actual RV in which Mario Andretti and Ronni Peterson sat during their seasons together to have briefings and coffee, right up to the '78 Italian GP after which Peterson died and Andretti won the championship. Andretti wouldn't use it anymore after Peterson's death and Team Lotus sold it.
My old boss Jim is a member of the Lotus club and proper anorak, so i've seen all the documents and pictures. He owns it with two more friends and it's still here near Bournemouth, but looking a bit tatty again.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:09:47 am by WhiteTrash » Logged

HOFF#67

Lotus White '67's are the best!!!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 04:24:25 am »

I'll play...but its nothing too exciting.   Tongue

Diesel Rabbit pickup.  Was my daily driver for two years.  It gets used as a truck.

Needed a second car to put a car seat in, and at the same time had to get rid of our '07 Mustang GT.  No luck selling it outright, and the dealer we got it from had a '03 SVT Focus so we traded.  I feel a little dorky driving it, but its a 6-speed, and is stiff and buzzy like an old GTI.  Hoping being a Ford I can drive it without having to worry at all.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sam K

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 06:19:28 am »

I've had quite a few cars, but I'll limit this to my favorites.

1968 Camaro SS350. I love my bug and all, but this is proibably my favorite car of all time. I bought this car in May 1997. I drove it year round, in the snow for 9 years and in over 90k miles, it has never let me down. Since I bought a WRX a couple years ago, it doesn't see snow anymore, but I still drive it all the time.

2002 Subaru WRX. A couple years ago, I decided that it would be cool to get a car that got decent mileage, was good in the snow and could haul a lot of stuff around. this is what I came up with. It also runs high 13's in the 1/4mile and wil fly on the highway too, as seen below.

1989 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 After I got tired of of blowing transmissions in my bug at the dragstrip, I got into 5.0 mustangs. They are by far the best bang-for-the buck drag car. This one has run a best of 11.1 @ 129mph and I drive it to and from the track on pump gas every week.

I wish I had kept this one. It's a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS in Arcadian green. From what I understand they only made 200 of the Impreza RS coupe in this color. Subaru geeks call it a "Unicorn". I only had it for a couple months last year before a guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Oh well, at least I had it for a while.
DKKBRIAN
DKK

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 06:29:23 am »

DUH..WINNING !
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 07:18:16 am »

Thanks for playing along... it's fun to see what you guys have / had sitting around.

Frank, that Bedford Plaxton Coach looks sweet! It's nice to haul your car without a trailer Wink Maybe you can post some interior photos sometime... and that Travco! If the walls could talk on that one!

Javabug... nice load on the old Caddy there! The Focus is a good hit... My son commutes in one and really likes it.
Now's a good time to tell you, I really like your '67. When I was a kid I had a paper route, and the route manager used to cruise around in a Java Green '67... I think I was around 12 or so... the car looked like new. I really liked VW's, even when I was that young.

Redwagon, How could anybody not like that Camaro?? Good choice on the WRX... the police will be out to see you tomorrow Shocked

Mr. Plummer, The Mustang and red truck are cool, but the old Nissan with the Alloys, now that's a throwback!

I'll toss another one of my fleet out there...
This one is my 1960 Ragtop Baja that I purchased off Craigslist last year DIRT cheap! It had no motor and had been sitting at least ten years, but it's fairly straight and rust free. I'm converting it to IRS, and building a very mild 78.4 X 94 engine.

~DR.
ESH

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 11:30:42 am »

… 1950 Flxible Visicoach bus/motorhome conversion. Converted back in the late 60's, I bought it in the early 90's (Rayburn was there Wink). I use it every chance I get... it turns heads everywhere you go…

I actually picked up on the picture of your RV and the one behind one of your Burros on the thread with Jeff's Burro yesterday. I've got a bit of a think for those old RV's and RV's in general.

I noticed it there too as I’d recently been looking at American RVs and bus conversions, shame they cost so much to ship, that and the fact that I haven’t got anywhere to put one.

This is what i just bought and will take to SCC, not as old as yours and needs some TLC but its got a tail lift and the Bug fits in the back. A 1975 Bedford Plaxton Coach, a house with workshop on wheels  Cool Grin

That’s definitely a step up from your 2008 RV, should make the long haul races a much better prospect.

This is my old boss' (when i worked in the restoration garage) '73 Dodge Trafco Team Lotus RV.  The actual RV in which Mario Andretti and Ronni Peterson sat during their seasons together to have briefings and coffee, right up to the '78 Italian GP after which Peterson died and Andretti won the championship. Andretti wouldn't use it anymore after Peterson's death and Team Lotus sold it.

WOW, cool bit of memrobilia!  Cool
javabug

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 14:42:08 pm »

Javabug... nice load on the old Caddy there! The Focus is a good hit... My son commutes in one and really likes it.
Now's a good time to tell you, I really like your '67. When I was a kid I had a paper route, and the route manager used to cruise around in a Java Green '67... I think I was around 12 or so... the car looked like new. I really liked VW's, even when I was that young.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the compliments.  I really like that car as well, and am looking forward to making it nice.  Looks like it might be a long, gradual process though.

That Baja looks great, almost exactly what I've been dreaming of for a "daily" driver.  I think it would be killer to have one to drive year round out here in PA, snow and all.  Unfortunatly I think you'd really have to take it apart and do the body and pan in a tough coating and make sure its sealed up real good in certain areas, or it would only last a few seasons with the salt they use on the roads.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
javabug

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 14:46:58 pm »

1968 Camaro SS350.

The Camaro looks great.  The gold pant/black stripe is a great combo, along with the Torque Thrusts.  I grew up digging muscle cars, and I'm working on finishing my dad's 70 SS 396 Nova.  Just took the nose apart for a clean/detail, but I'm a bit slow getting it back together.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bryan67

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 15:00:52 pm »

I like station wagons. Heres the old 66 Buick Special and the 66 Nova.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 21:37:24 pm »

I've always been into old cars in general and grew up with american cars.
Though most of my time nowadays is spent on VW's I couldn't imagine not having some vintage Detroit steel in my garage. I've had a few over the years, but will limit this to the two currently in my posession.
The '55 Plymouth Savoy is my summer cruiser. Nothing special to most people but it's the car I never forgot after seeing it for the first time when I was 18. Now it is in my garage and I just love it.
Then there's the '59 Chevy truck. Workhorse and time machine.. No other car I have ever owned has given as many smiles per gallon as this one. It just laughs at modern plastic cars  Grin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 21:40:40 pm by Rocket-Racing » Logged

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
Sam K

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 02:21:06 am »

Sweet truck! I also have a '59 Apache 36 fleetside longbed pickup. I'm planning on selling it, though, because  have too many projects and not enough room to store them.
Sarge

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 19:25:06 pm »

1965 Ford Half Ton.  I bought this after the Datsun was stolen to tow the sand rail.  Mike Martin (husband of Julie Martin who owned Deano's old '67) was the guy who built it... wish I had a pic of the black lacquer (spray can) dash Mike did Cool Cool Cool.  Babe's Paint (Lazenby's firemist green / butternut) did the body in red lacquer... later re-done by Becker's in a more forgiving enamel.  When I bought it from Mike, it had a nicely built 390 with a C6 automatic.  I later upgraded to a 460 and then added the suspension from a wrecked 3/4 ton, disc brakes and power steering.  One morning I woke up to find it missing... never saw it again. Cry

DKP III
Dirk / DFL

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 12:26:33 pm »

my every day car... Smiley
vwcab

peter

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 22:54:18 pm »

Hmmmm....passat cc.I like it,nice shape.(for a modern vw )

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Sarge

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 23:22:39 pm »

That a boy, Dirk! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 23:26:40 pm »

Dave , put up the photo of you making the pass at Terminal Island on the mini bike.

I also park at Nick's.
Dustin

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 11:56:20 am »

Here's my 1st 4 vehicles...
The Yamaha RD350 that I traded for the 68 Bug
Note the "ULTRA RARE" Fuch hubcaps on that baby  Grin
Sold the Bug and bought the Datsun 510 the next day
Traded the 510 straight across for the 59 El Camino. It was my first attempt at a restoration. Wish I still had it Sad

I think the Bug is the only one I don't miss!! What a P.O.S.!!

Then got married and bought my first new car, a 1985 To#¤ta van, lowered it and put some nice wheels on it and drove the wheels of off it while raising two beautiful girls! We called it the silver bullet!

I've got many more but need to dig them up... I think the wife's current car may be the only car that I haven't altered in some form or another  Grin
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:02:54 pm by Dustin » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

'69 Tangerine Orange Karmann Ghia- In progress
'66 Marina blue Chevy II Nova Hardtop- Project mothballed
Dustin

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 13:32:38 pm »

So after a full size GMC Van with lift kit and 33 inch tires (same paint scheme as the Voegtly's)
I downsized to the 80 El camino
Then built the '94 Impala from a ex highway patrol car(http://home.pacbell.net/dustinp/)
Then bought my second new car, a 2001 Chevy Blazer Extreme
Then started remodeling the house and needed a truck so bought the "I'm hung light a light switch but check out my 2001 GMC HD2500"

But wait, there's more...

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

Dustin

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 13:52:51 pm »

Back in 1997 I picked up a 1966 Chevy Nova 2 dr Hardtop (non SS) with original paint that the previous owner had converted from a straight six, powerglide to a 383 stroker motor & Turbo 350 trans (13.59 @ 104mph, poor 60ft. time). After I "made it my own" and drove it for 10 years, I tore it down September '07 to repaint and it finally came back home in November '08. I have a TCI front IFS and 4 link rear suspension powdercoated and ready to bolt in when the funds and motivation become available  Grin
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 13:57:21 pm by Dustin » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 19:40:06 pm »

Good suuff Dustin!!

I had an RD350 years ago and lived to tell about it Wink
I'm diggin on the 510 and el-Camino.

The Nova is very cool. My first fast V-8 car was a '74 Vega...

Next, how about a Mercedes Unimog??
This one is a Swiss import and I'm in the process of licensing it for the streets here in Ca. Shocked

~DR.
Chris W

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 19:42:38 pm »

The Unimog is my favorite so far.   Grin Grin
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 21:58:16 pm »

Cool 'Mog!! I'm a bit partial to Pinzgauers, honestly Roll Eyes An aquaintance of mine here owns this shop... Cool stuff!! Shocked
http://www.mogsrus.com/

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: