The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 21:06:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350767 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old School Hi-Po 40hp Engine Parts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Old School Hi-Po 40hp Engine Parts  (Read 1230 times)
Cheesepanzer

« on: October 09, 2007, 03:32:12 am »

I recently acquired an engine that turned out to be a hot-rodded 40 hp engine.  I'm trying to figure out what I've got and need some help.

It's a 1702cc (64x92) engine with NPR 92's.  The pistons feature a small pin to fit the 40hp rods (different than today's mahle's).  The 40hp heads had been ported/polished somewhat, and have larger springs and gold anodized retainers (probably part of a cam kit).  Speaking of the cam, its a Crower "V F 2656" cam with an unusual "Made in West Germany" aluminum cam gear.  Crower doesn't list this cam in their current catalog, so I don't know the specs.

It also came with a 1.5 qt. sump that I can't identify (see pictures).  I'd love to know who made these sumps and whether there is any demand for them today.

The case is a 40hp case, standard mains, but in need of an align bore.  And of course, the cylinder holes were opened up for the NPR 92's.  It also had a HD 26mm oil pump with a housing specific to 6mm early stud sizes.

The pistons are in good shape and the cylinders still have the cross hatch in them.  Does anyone out there know anything about these pistons?  They clearly read "NPR" at the bottoms of each cylinder.  The pins and clips are all in  great shape.

So, what can you tell me about this stuff?  I figure the engine is at least 30 years old.  It had been sitting for about 10 years before I purchased it.  If anyone has any comments on what this stuff is I'd appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks!

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: