The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:16:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350741 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bugs For Breakfast 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Bugs For Breakfast 2.0  (Read 78306 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 06:32:56 am »

I'm up for a cruise, whittier blvd. is fine, cruising turnbull canyon would be fun also.  I'm even in for a cruise to pch, then north (or south).
I say you (Ron) and Bruce make the call, and then post it up.  You guys started this gathering, so take it where YOU want it to go.
As far as the cops, I have been in 50+ nova cruises, without telling the local law enforcement agencies, and everything has been fine as long as you obey the law.

Well written, Jim, and I fully agree... Bruce/Ron, you guys make the call. This is, after all, your event and idea... so that seems rather fair.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 06:49:55 am »

I'm up for a cruise, whittier blvd. is fine, cruising turnbull canyon would be fun also.  I'm even in for a cruise to pch, then north (or south).
I say you (Ron) and Bruce make the call, and then post it up.  You guys started this gathering, so take it where YOU want it to go.
As far as the cops, I have been in 50+ nova cruises, without telling the local law enforcement agencies, and everything has been fine as long as you obey the law.

Well written, Jim, and I fully agree... Bruce/Ron, you guys make the call. This is, after all, your event and idea... so that seems rather fair.

X2 for sure!

VW Classic 2012
Speed-Randy

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2011, 15:06:51 pm »

Nice of Randy to test drive his daughter's beautiful ghia. You can see build pics on the In da Werks thread
He did the paint himself. His daughter drives it, when he isn't.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Thanks for taking a picture Ron, I should have made her wash the bird poo off it before I took it but she had practice

The Ideaman

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2011, 16:46:43 pm »

I realize it is still a few months off, but are you guys discussing a B4B over the Classic weekend?  I would be up for that.  Or perhaps a B4Lunch with all the other happenings?  Looks like a great get together.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2011, 19:24:53 pm »

Eggs Zackly!!!

X2 for sure!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2011, 21:51:32 pm »

I realize it is still a few months off, but are you guys discussing a B4B over the Classic weekend?  I would be up for that.  Or perhaps a B4Lunch with all the other happenings?  Looks like a great get together.
There has been no discussion, but the format has been to meet on the first Saturday of the month. The first Sat in June would be the 4th,  and the Classic is the following week on the 12th. The OCTO show is also on Sat the 11th, so it might conflict with some peoples schedules.
The 4th should still be a good way to kick off the weeks activities though Smiley
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2011, 01:24:18 am »

There has been no discussion, but the format has been to meet on the first Saturday of the month. The first Sat in June would be the 4th,  and the Classic is the following week on the 12th. The OCTO show is also on Sat the 11th, so it might conflict with some peoples schedules.
The 4th should still be a good way to kick off the weeks activities though Smiley

I like it!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2011, 03:38:53 am »

I have the classic spot HILLCREST PARK, FULLERTON,CA wow wouldnt that bring back some old s*#t. (ICE BLOCK ANYONE?)
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2011, 05:28:14 am »

I have the classic spot HILLCREST PARK, FULLERTON,CA wow wouldnt that bring back some old s*#t. (ICE BLOCK ANYONE?)

We used to race the old plastic Big Wheel's there at night!
So LATE one night, my buddy went a little deep in to a turn, crashed hard and broke his arm!! Good times! This was around '75 or so.
Of course I gave him a ride to the ER in my Cal Look '64 Cheesy

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2011, 05:50:08 am »

Thanks for the event Ron & Bruce !!!  I had a great time.  Hillcrest park would be great.  Its free too.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2011, 06:56:08 am »

ICE BLOCKING!!!!!!!!!
I remember it looking something like this...  OMG, what CRAZY FUN times were those?!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOBd-uk49Vk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YOBd-uk49Vk</a>
Dan Mazur

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2011, 12:16:01 pm »

And they ate their own evidence!

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2011, 18:31:43 pm »

ICE BLOCKING ROCKS!!

The Ideaman

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2011, 19:35:53 pm »

Who's 67 is this?  I really like it.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2011, 19:38:44 pm »

There!!... feel better now? Grin
Oh thanks Sarge. You've really made my day…  Angry

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2011, 03:08:27 am »

HIllcrest Park!!! Wow, haven't heard that name in years. That should  bring back a lot of fond early Cal Look memories for many of us older people. D.K.K. used to terrorize that place, decades ago. GREAT choice!

Who's 67 is this?  I really like it.

My eyes are old and that's a small picture... but it looks like Carlos' Ruby Red car.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:10:11 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2011, 08:10:47 am »

Is Hillcrest still a hang out for uhhh...  Roll Eyes

Those who prefer same sex relationships?  Grin

Rennsurfer

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2011, 14:46:39 pm »

HUH? Why, Rick? Has the park um... changed since our club visited:? Haven't been there in almost thirty years.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2011, 18:25:57 pm »

HUH? Why, Rick? Has the park um... changed since our club visited:? Haven't been there in almost thirty years.

I remember that at some point the local officials were having some issues with it being a pickup meeting spot.  Wink

I wanna say it was the late 80s or early 90s

EDIT: A little write up from the LA Times
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 18:37:02 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

Dan Mazur

« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2011, 20:14:47 pm »

Perhaps the ice block riders ran out ways to entertain theirselves.

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2011, 00:20:18 am »

Funny, I've never been to Hillcrest Park during daylight hours.. don't know about the.. um.. homo thing.
As a bunch of crazy teens, we would do the Bigwheel rides after the park was closed.. seems like we had to hop a fence?? Hard to say, it's been over 35 years! As I remember it, there was a fairly skinny paved road that maintenance would use that ran all through the park. This road had some pretty nasty downhills and tight turns.. perfect for riding on your knees on an ill handling, plastic wheeled child's toy!!
Good times!

Rennsurfer

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2011, 01:33:08 am »

Dang, Rick... glad that crap happened after we used to hang out there.

Dave, your heart's in the right place... I still look for hills to either ride my skateboards down and/or a Big Wheel. Anything with wheels, and I'm happy.

We really need to include a Big Wheel or trike race at some VW events.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2011, 02:03:20 am »

Dang, Rick... glad that crap happened after we used to hang out there.

Dave, your heart's in the right place... I still look for hills to either ride my skateboards down and/or a Big Wheel. Anything with wheels, and I'm happy.

We really need to include a Big Wheel or trike race at some VW events.

Reminds me of the Outlaw Soapbox Derby Cars they run in the Velley.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2011, 02:43:27 am »

Awesome site, Rick... but I'm on a budget, so Big Wheels are more my speed. HA!

So.. .Bruce, Ron, have you decided on a cruise venue?

~Sarge
Dan Mazur

« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2011, 02:48:33 am »

Yeah, enough of this DEEK thread jacking.

Besides, these days we'll need to fuse four blocks of ice together to get one ride..... Cheesy Grin

Hecker

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2011, 07:02:29 am »

Quote from: DKK_Fred

So.. .Bruce, Ron, have you decided on a cruise venue?[/b

UHH, yeah, Let's say that we are talking about something that will probably be most
memorable  & hopefully won't happen again for a long time.  Lips Sealed           Ron
Hecker

« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2011, 06:33:02 am »

Well, after much serious consideration & many Ha-rumphs ....It is with great honor that I announce
The next Bugs for Breakfast scheduled for March 5th 2011 will begin at RUBY'S in Whittier @ 8:30 am
We will leave around 9:30 -- no later than 9:45 to drive as many VW's as we can to West Covina.
This will be a 12.5 mile drive that should be 35 - 45 minutes to the Memorial Service for SHUBEE.
I am asking anyone that knew Gary, anyone who knows anyone who knows Gary, anyone who ever
bought anything from him or sold anything to him, to show up for this short cruise. There will be
directions printed to follow / like a rally / google maps / and we should be able to make a statement
as we drive through the streets. If we can get the same turn out as we had last month it will be great.
I've spoken to friends of SHUBEE from the early 70's -- guys he went to high school with, etc.
TEXAS TOM is flying in from Austin,Tx for the memorial  -- he will be in town for Nick's Sunday too.
Hope everyone can make it, as I said before --- something memorable, not something we will do again, soon.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:08 am »

I will for sure be there...!!...I never met Gary...But knew of his presence and knew the cars..!..This should definitely a great memorial and a great way for those who knew him personally to say their goodbyes for now.

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
johnl

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2011, 17:39:58 pm »

Ruby's on the 4th sounds great and also the drive to Shubee's memorial.  Christie and I are planning on attending both. 

I'd like to comment on Hillcrest Park from days of long ago.  This use to be a place to go and park at night with your best gal.  Maybe the "same sex" thing was going on, but I never heard anything about it back in the day.  Speaking of days, there were numerous times that Jim (Sarge), myself and others would go up the hill and detail our cars.  This was one of our favorite "detail" locations.

I haven't been through the park in years, but now look forward to a drive through to see how much has changed.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2011, 06:51:40 am »

This is great news for the VW comunity to show there respect to a good man that has been a friend to all of us, in person or the internet,  here in the State's and across the Sea's. Now he's with the good man upstairs not feeling any pain. So lets show the love and respect he deserves, and make this a grand Memorial Cruz to celebrate his good life.

Ted
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:53:41 am by racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: