The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 08:46:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350741 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bugs For Breakfast 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Bugs For Breakfast 2.0  (Read 78348 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2011, 21:27:38 pm »

No problem, man relax ! we missed you    Grin

If I were any more relaxed, I'd be asleep.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2011, 22:24:14 pm »

Wait till the Classic weekend comes, alot to do and see, need a week to rest after that!  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
LuftsickTero

« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2011, 22:26:16 pm »

Glad that it worked out for them... but I had things to do around my house and couldn't make the latter one. See y'all tomorrow.

Worked after we corrected the typo we made into GPS, "Whittwood" instead "Whittier". Spent half an hour looking for the place, as oddly enough there was a Carl's Jr (which was the landmark Ron told us) near 10109 Whittier  Smiley

Anyway good to connect some usernames with faces and hear good stories  Cool

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Hecker

« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2011, 04:13:41 am »

ooops, I think that was MY fault, really sorry...Glad it worked out.    Embarrassed
Rennsurfer

« Reply #184 on: May 03, 2011, 04:17:23 am »

Ron, don't feel too bad. At least you didn't send them to Stanton, like a few years ago when some people from Europe (Belgium?) were sent there. I'll never forget Schwimmer's classic response to that day.

"THAT can't be good."

HAHA!!

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2011, 05:11:35 am »

Ron, don't feel too bad. At least you didn't send them to Stanton, like a few years ago when some people from Europe (Belgium?) were sent there. I'll never forget Schwimmer's classic response to that day.

"THAT can't be good."

HAHA!!

I don't know if this is the incident you're talking about but at one BugIn I told Bill that I was "Taking the Norwegians to Stanton" where some of them were staying and Bill responded with "That's not something you hear everyday."  Grin

That was my Lounge signature for a while

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2011, 05:15:49 am »

Crap! You're right, Rick. I had the country and the comment all wrong. Thanks for the correction.

~Sarge
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2011, 06:39:14 am »

A small turn-out this month but just as enthusiastic as ever...
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
We all enjoyed meeting and greeting our special guests from Finland Tero and his lovely wife Sanna. We all had a lot of fun sharing stories over a "light" American style breakfast Grin It was very cool hearing his (and her!) tale of taking his car to the VolksWorld show and making a feature in the magazine. Congratulations on a job well done. Also, many thanks to both of you for taking the extra effort to attend, it made it a special event I'll never forget.

As a side note, we are going to skip the first Saturday in May because of Mother's Day.
The next event is planned for June 4th 2011 which should work out well and serve to kick off the "the Week"
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2011, 12:50:38 pm »

Yaeh it was a little light.....But none the less was a "Great time " as always ...!! it was really Kool to meet Tero and Sanna....All the way from Finland to wanna spend a Saturday morning with us was very Kool...!! And Congrats to them on gettin the car in "Volkswold" Hope to see them again soon...!!...Lookin foward to the next one in June !!!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
LuftsickTero

« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2011, 21:37:35 pm »

Pleasure was all ours  Smiley This is what I enjoy most, getting to know new people and swap some stories. Also great to get a glimpse about depth of the scene (both today and what it was) and learn about other clubs, like DKK and DSK, that haven't been so widely exposed in historical magazine articles etc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 21:41:59 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
61SNRF

« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2011, 21:07:54 pm »

It's that time again, we will be meeting this Saturday June 4th for the regular Bugs for Breakfast gathering.
Anyone who wants to join us in kicking off the Classic Week is welcome to come.
The meeting will begin ~8:30am at the regular place,
RUBY'S DINER
10109 WHITTWOOD DRIVE
WHITTIER,CA
Looking forward to a big crowd, so dust off your Bugs and we'll see you there!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2011, 20:01:50 pm »

A light turn out... but still good to see a few of you. What started out as a cold/gray morning ended up being a nice sunny day. See you cats this Friday.

HECKER, did ya have fun over in my neighborhood at the vintage bmx deal?

~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #192 on: June 05, 2011, 01:48:29 am »

Yeah ......Sorry guyz I didn't make it I've been busy puttin in my new motor.....I was thinkin about makin this morning ..but changed my plans !...I will be showin off  my new motor this week.......God willing....?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #193 on: June 05, 2011, 02:31:46 am »

Hell Ya! Lets get it in tomorrow Randy! I can be there early in the morning to get this thing humming. I'll call ya later.

I couldn't make it either to BFB, had things to do that could not wait, wish I did though turned out to be a nice morning.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Hecker

« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2011, 16:51:24 pm »

A light turn out... but still good to see a few of you. What started out as a cold/gray morning ended up being a nice sunny day. See you cats this Friday.

HECKER, did ya have fun over in my neighborhood at the vintage bmx deal?

Yes, I DID... saw all the old guys, & got to tell a special story to a guy I'm sure didn't want to hear it!!!
It involved jail, bail, & a fast trip to the Louisville airport !! The year 1985. He remembered it, but did
not know all the details. Needless to say, he was happy I helped him out!  On the money front, I was
able to sell some old stuff just taking up room in the garage !!! That will help with my CLASSIC BUDGET !!!
Sorry to have missed Bugs for Breakfast -- but I had my own Bugs for BMX --- lots of people enjoy VW's     Wink
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2011, 20:54:15 pm »

Geez, Crazy how so many of us are into the same things ... Vintage BMX ... You know I STILL HAVE my bike from back in the day! Even found my old racing pants in the closet this past weekend. Rode it from age 12 to 18 or so. I'd give a date, but don't want to age myself, LMAO.

Sorry for the hijack ... alright, back on topic ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
61SNRF

« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2011, 02:06:55 am »

Ok guys it's that time of the month again Grin

We will be getting together this Saturday the 2nd of July for our regular Bugs for Breakfast meeting at Ruby's Diner in Whittier.

If the turn out is light and lowoval is planning to attend, we may switch it to Norm's Famous Burgers down the street. Norm's has regular internet specials, and this week it's two eggs, two sausage or bacon, two pancakes, coffee or hot chocolate for only $3.00! The parking is limited at this venue, but the food is great (better than Ruby's IMHO).

Anyone interested please chime in early.

See ya'll there!
low oval
DKK

« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2011, 03:06:39 am »

way to put the pressure on me, I am in, unless my friday night is too eventfull.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2011, 04:17:40 am »

HA! Jim... define eventful. Just kidding, I think I get the idea. Don't know if I'm gonna make it or not. Guess that we'll see. I DO like the food at Norm's. Although Ruby's ain't bad. My problem is... I just love food.

~Sarge
Dan Mazur

« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2011, 05:07:16 am »

HA! Jim... define eventful. Just kidding, I think I get the idea. Don't know if I'm gonna make it or not. Guess that we'll see. I DO like the food at Norm's. Although Ruby's ain't bad. My problem is... I just love food.
You forgot "Omm nomm nomm"!!!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Hecker

« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2011, 05:30:09 am »

I"m IN.... I know I've been a little quiet lately, but I may have something to say on SATURDAY!!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2011, 05:36:13 am »

You forgot "Omm nomm nomm"!!!

Grin

~Sarge
58vw

« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2011, 05:40:17 am »

Geez, Crazy how so many of us are into the same things ... Vintage BMX ... You know I STILL HAVE my bike from back in the day! Even found my old racing pants in the closet this past weekend. Rode it from age 12 to 18 or so. I'd give a date, but don't want to age myself, LMAO.

Sorry for the hijack ... alright, back on topic ...

funny tom...me to ....redline bmx, oakley grips, snake belly tires...duane peters santa cruz skateboard...miss those days

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
edcraig

« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2011, 17:09:28 pm »

I'm going to miss this one.  I'll be out of town.  You guys have a great time!
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2011, 07:52:40 am »

Can't make this time, things to do. See ya at the next one.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2011, 19:56:03 pm »

A small but fun turn-out, this morning.

Skeeter's great lookin' '66.

Nothing like cruising down Whittier Blvd. listening to The Specials' self titled album. Brought  back a lot of cool memories.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2011, 07:24:50 am »

Nice line up! Wish I could have been there but I had the chance to spend the day motorcycle riding with my Son.. any day with Family is a good day Grin

Oh yeah, I want that '67 sunroof real bad!

flatfire

« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2011, 07:34:19 am »

Nice looking bug. Any more pics and details Smiley
Rennsurfer

« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2011, 14:44:59 pm »

Nice looking bug. Any more pics and details Smiley

That's one of our many original club cars and has a great story behind it. Joe "Skeeter" Larson is an original D.K.K. founding member. When he first built the '66, it looked like this:

That's how the car looked when he bought it back from the same guy that he sold it to back in '80-'81. The buyer kept the car all of those years  and moved three times. When Joe found the car in San Clemente, he was beyond stoked to find his high school car still intact. And in January of 2010, he bought the car back.

He completely redid the the entire car and decided to paint it new Beetle beige, built a big healthy engine, beefed up the transmission, disc brakes, European Porsche 911 headlight lenses, rear quarter window pop-outs, and had a gorgeous interior installed. I'll have to dig around and post up some recent pics of the car.

At this year's Bug-In.

(edit) Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 15:20:32 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
flatfire

« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2011, 23:25:21 pm »

Great story Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: