The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:32:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350773 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Formula 1 - 2007
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Formula 1 - 2007  (Read 14615 times)
Cornpanzer

« on: May 13, 2007, 19:09:13 pm »

So, at the beginning of the year, I picked Kimi to be champ and a friend picked Alonso.  Looks like we both may have underestimated Hamilton and Massa!
Anyone else F1 fans out there?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
DeanoVW

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 20:05:25 pm »

Lewis Hamilton is a champion in waiting.
I am glad Schumacher has retired, its much more interesting to watch this year.
David Coulthard had a great race today.
Its going to be a very close fought championship this year.
Liou

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 21:24:26 pm »

yes lewis hamilton is good rookie F1 year !! lol
I hope the end of season world championship for lewis 

My 62 ragtop cal look
Cornpanzer

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 23:16:14 pm »

Lewis Hamilton is a champion in waiting.
I am glad Schumacher has retired, its much more interesting to watch this year.
David Coulthard had a great race today.
Its going to be a very close fought championship this year.
yes, DC is driving for his ride right now!  Hamilton is just brilliant!

So whats the opinion of Alonso's 1st corner move today?  Was he clean or a wanker?   Wink

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:23:36 am »

WANKER!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Cornpanzer

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 13:08:54 pm »

I have to agree Rick.  Alonso almost appeared a bit desperate to get around Massa and into the lead.  He probably feels more comfortable with at least one car between himself and his teammate.   Grin

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
ESH

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 13:34:03 pm »

I think yesterday was Alonso's second noticeable mistake in terms of judgement in F1, the other being the incident at Interlagos under a yellow so I'm not sure too much can be read into it, he still placed. Hamilton and Alonso are shaping up to be one of the great F1 pairings, possibly already are. Great to see top flight team mates fight it out again and hopefully we'll have four drivers down to the wire. I think Ferrari in the Schumacher era fielded two cars to place one, whilst they were only able to do this due to Schumachers ability I think the strategy flattered him in terms of the statistics. If he had a team mate with ability and fight he'd maybe have had a few less wins and  championships. If they thought Kimi would be able to do the same for them it seems Massa's got some other idea of his role and that's got to be a good thing.
Smiley
Tim C

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 13:56:37 pm »

Still a lot to come from Alonso this season, his record is more than decent: 88 starts, 15 wins and 15 poles..

4 podium finishes from Hamilton in his first season is just incredible, seeing a British driver at the top of the table is a great thing. The McLaren is certainly helping him, but his natural ability seems to be shining through.

Hopefully this is gearing up to be the best season for a while. I am lucky enough to have F1 as a client of mine, so am looking forward to going to a few of them again this year  Cool

JG54 Greenhearts
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:16:19 am »

Even though Alonso has won the past 2 championships, Shumacher leaving has really shook up the grid.

I'm sure that Alonso is feeling the pressure of his team mate.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Tim C

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 08:56:21 am »

Couldn't agree more, the grid has more potential now. Schumacher really was great to watch, his last GP was a testament to his driving ability.

Role on some good races for this year and with the potetnial introduction of night races and another street course in Valencia, Spain, F1 could return to it's glory days once more.

JG54 Greenhearts
LuftsickTero

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 12:48:45 pm »

I think yesterday was Alonso's second noticeable mistake in terms of judgement in F1, the other being the incident at Interlagos under a yellow so I'm not sure too much can be read into it, he still placed.

Along with hitting the concrete quardrail in Canada ('05?) and squalling "somethings wrong with the car" to the radio  Cheesy

Hamilton and Alonso are shaping up to be one of the great F1 pairings, possibly already are.

I am very much impressed with Hamilton, but long way to become one of the greatest F1 pairings, or depends what is great pairing in modern F1, Villeneuve&Pironi or Senna&Berger or Prost&Mansell or even Shumacher&Barrichello where either one understood each other's roles? It'll become interesting seeing if or when Alonso cracks, rookie is already leading the points chase.. Too bad that the racers have become such commercial wind-up dolls, I do miss the times when Nelson Piquet gave comments in Brazilian Playboy magazine on how ugly Mansell's wife was and Senna is gay.. or the times when Mansell / Piquet / Senna / Prost were all in competitive cars hated each others gut and didn't give an inch. (of course aerodynamics were different back then and cars less reliable)

If they thought Kimi would be able to do the same for them it seems Massa's got some other idea of his role and that's got to be a good thing.
Smiley

Disappointing, I was expecting Kimi to walk all over Massa and believed that Kimi had better race pace or at least more constant. Upside from his bad luck has been not seeing/hearing him on press conferences. He looks somehow like shadow of what he was with McLaren.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:52:07 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
ESH

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 13:11:07 pm »

Along with hitting the concrete quardrail in Canada ('05?) and squalling "somethings wrong with the car" to the radio  Cheesy

Yeah but all the greats have taken a chunk out of that wall, it's like an actor leaving a signature on the Hollywood Boulevard Cheesy Something's wrong with the car? No shit!

I am very much impressed with Hamilton, but long way to become one of the greatest F1 pairings, or depends what is great pairing in modern F1, Villeneuve&Pironi or Senna&Berger or Prost&Mansell or even Shumacher&Barrichello where either one understood each other's roles? It'll become interesting seeing if or when Alonso cracks, rookie is already leading the points chase.. Too bad that the racers have become such commercial wind-up dolls, I do miss the times when Nelson Piquet gave comments in Brazilian Playboy magazine on how ugly Mansell's wife was and Senna is gay.. or the times when Mansell / Piquet / Senna / Prost were all in competitive cars hated each others gut and didn't give an inch. (of course aerodynamics were different back then and cars less reliable)

My point of reference for great pairings originates with the first Grand Prix I went to see at Brands Hatch in which both Prost and Lauda were racing for McLaren. That year they slogged it out and Lauda took it by half a point, now that's a racing team! Both good in their own right given the same kit and opportunity they got out there and hammered away at it all season. I think there was a mutual respect in that pairing but they were great sportsmen and weren't going to let that friendship get in the way of on track rivalry. I think it may have been the same in 88 when Prost got paired with Senna but come 89 they hated each other, another fantastic pairing but with a whole different dynamic. I guess what I mean by a great pairing is those that can and do. That is to say the one's that make the sport great for the fans. I don't think Barrichello fits that as I don't believe he was driving to win, with him it was more of a case of could but didn't. A shame for his career in my view as he was a hugely talented driver in his own right. It was however a great pairing for Ferrari from a management perspective, no double red smoking wrecks to deal with. One less driver fighting for it and it's less of a sport. The Prost / Mansell piaring was good but not great as Prost was able to lead the team more in his favour than Mansell, it was at times almost Ferrari'esque with some of the goings on, for example Prost on realising his car was crap got the team to switch it with Mansell's without him knowing! That Mansell / Piquet / Senna / Prost era was as a whole funny as f**k! None of them gave a crap about anything other than crossing the line first. There have ofcourse been many great pairings many of which were before I started watching the sport blow by blow but given that both Alonso and Hamilton can and do I'd add them to the list. I can't wait to see what comes of it.

Disappointing, I was expecting Kimi to walk all over Massa and believed that Kimi had better race pace or at least more constant. Upside from his bad luck has been not seeing/hearing him on press conferences. He looks somehow like shadow of what he was with McLaren.

It'll be a shame if this is a sign of things to come with Kimi as having him up there would make for some great racing. On the other hand if he becomes frustrated and Massa continues to drive like he just did then it could be interesting for a totally different reason. Unable to assert his position in the team maybe Kimi will become frustrated and then it could be right back to that Senna/Prost type dynamic? One thing we do know is that Kimi has the capacity to make some class comments such as his gem in reference Brundle's question about Schumacher's retirement. "So you think you'll get over it eh?"  Grin

Smiley
LuftsickTero

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 09:08:41 am »

Latest info about the spying quarrel..  Grin

ESH

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 13:04:10 pm »

Grin
Cornpanzer

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 00:05:45 am »

Reviving this with two words.   

FIRE ALONSO!

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 09:06:18 am »

schumi is missing me
alex d

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 12:40:34 pm »

this is getting interesting after the China GP  Grin
Cornpanzer

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 15:39:53 pm »

I just wanted to cry.  What was Hamilton thinking?  Shocked

As soon as I saw him go cranking into the pits, I just covered my eyes.  Cry

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
jick

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 18:16:36 pm »

I just wanted to cry.  What was Hamilton thinking?  Shocked

As soon as I saw him go cranking into the pits, I just covered my eyes.  Cry

hell yeah, and what were his team thinking keeping him out that long when he was losing so much pace for a good 3 or 4 laps.

i dont think i can bear to watch the last race......it just seems to have a air of typical britsh fuck-it-all-up at the last minute about it.

Cornpanzer

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 21:29:43 pm »

Seriously, I really dont think I can watch it.  I may go on line and see the results before I sit down to watch.
It wouldnt hurt my feelings if Kimi wor, but if FA wins I will drive my car into a bridge abutment. Angry   Cheesy

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 22:58:50 pm »

Hamilton must leave mc laren
Cornpanzer

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 13:23:40 pm »

For what reason?  Huh

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Tim C

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 13:27:06 pm »

I have a feeling that Hamilton and Alonso will crash on first corner, Kimi will drive through, take the win and the title.

JG54 Greenhearts
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 13:30:04 pm »

i dont think i can bear to watch the last race......it just seems to have a air of typical britsh fuck-it-all-up at the last minute about it.

That's what I said about the rugby on saturday but I was wrong. There I was standing with all the other men folk in a supermarket glued to the screen, I nearly went to grab some beers and pay for the empty cans on the way out! never thought we'd beat Australia, but we did Grin

Good thing is Hamilton is ahead on points so it would be pointless for Alonso to do a 'Schumacher' and cause an accident to win.

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
LuftsickTero

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 13:34:36 pm »

That's what I'm hoping for  Grin

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 21:45:19 pm »

I have a feeling that Hamilton and Alonso will crash on first corner, Kimi will drive through, take the win and the title.
yes that what I see too alonso could do that he had nothing to loose instead of lewis
lewis must change of team because I think that what happen this week end was calculate by dennis and his spy team
everything was arranged by the fia to punish mc laren and even if lewis win the final battle for  tittle his victory was corrupted by this spy stories
 and I think too that mc laren was gulty but they could still use their car  for the end of championship Huh Huh ???I am not the only one to think that ask to jean todd or felipe massa what they think about the MP4 22 this year
In france we said that the mc laren this season run like a ferrari !!!! Wink Grin
 this my global point of view for this season and I am respected all the other
kimi will win the tittle
LuftsickTero

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 11:10:13 am »

Too bad that similar won't happen on Sunday Cheesy (Tommi Mäkinen winning title when Carlos Sainz's car dies just before the finishing line)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rlyM6DNpWTc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/rlyM6DNpWTc</a>"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src=" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rlyM6DNpWTc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/rlyM6DNpWTc</a>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jick

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2007, 16:55:25 pm »

race just about to start............

come on Lewis!!!

LuftsickTero

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2007, 18:33:17 pm »

Ah.. Grin

Jordy/DVK

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2007, 18:51:46 pm »

Grin

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: