The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:44:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Springs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Springs  (Read 3241 times)
Andy Sykes

« on: November 16, 2013, 13:43:20 pm »

So I needed some shorter springs for the front of the car so orded some shorter ones

So now I'm confused they are the same poundage but the coil DIA is much smaller

It's got the wheel were I want it but surly they can't  be right?

Cheers Andy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 18:22:36 pm by Andy Sykes » Logged

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
spanners

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 22:13:20 pm »

spring height, wire size,  number of coil turns, helix angle and coil overall diameter all come to bear, if you cut the original spring down say to half its existing height, it would more than double in poundage. very rough guide, if you add the coil rate to the springs, say 150 lb, it should drop by 1". or put them on the bathroom scales in a press or pillar drill and compress them 1" for a 150lb reading. tho it may not work due to the angle of the spring tails stopping them sitting squarely, or if installed on the car the term "sticktion" comes into play to further confuse things, ie, damper and bush resistance etc, i would say they were o.k, but just from the photo, the original spring looks to be a monster.

Best regards, spanners.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 23:19:15 pm »

Ok thanks that makes sense the bigger ones are. 7" the small ones are 3 " 2.25" DIA
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 23:26:56 pm by Andy Sykes » Logged

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

dannyboy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 23:56:03 pm »

are you sure its not a valve spring?Huh  Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
spanners

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:38 am »

Andy, with short springs the only thing to watch out for is adequate travel in bump and droop, again roughly twice the droop versus the bump travel, and spring retention in droop also so they wont fall off the perch, then adequate bump stop clearance if external or on the damper shaft, most shocks will be destroyed by bottoming, tho it is possible to have bump stops internal to the damper by special order.

Best regards, spanners.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 13:21:03 pm »

Thanks they have external bumps stops as soon as I fitted them I realised I'm going to have the limit the down award travel as like you say the springs will come of the perch, I think I will only need 2" of travel.

Cheers Andy

spanners

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 17:25:21 pm »

Just use a tender spring under the main spring, you can even tune these to taste, either just strong enough to support the main spring, or up the poundage to suit low speed bump and ride pre the aero loadings come on , tho this will be overkill for drags i would think, given a good racing surface.

Best regards, spanners.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 17:30:14 pm »

is that what they call a helper spring ?

spanners

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 16:39:45 pm »

is that what they call a helper spring ?
others may..

Best regards, spanners.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: