The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 15:47:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Oil Ring Gaps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Oil Ring Gaps  (Read 2390 times)
AssHull

« on: July 27, 2009, 08:36:49 am »

So just finished checking all the ring gaps for my engine. Just stock rings on a set of new cima 94mm pistons. Some of the compression rings needed to be opened up a little bit but all of them now have a ring gap within 0.012 - 0.014 inches. 

The question comes in with the oil rings.  All were much bigger then expected. Each around 0.040 inches, give or take a few thousands.  Huh Has anyone else had this problem? What's the max that you want to go on these?

Thanks for your help!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 23:35:34 pm »

Anyone??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Peter

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:49:58 am »

i just looked into my little booklet when i was building my engine and the ring gap of all was around 0.55 mm or 0.02"
you can also look on this page:
http://www.aircooledtech.com/piston_rings/

cheers, Peter
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:33:16 am »

What brand do you have?
According to the instructions, the ends of my oil rings are supposed to touch… one end is green plastic and the other is red. My intuition tells me I’d need to take these parts off, but the instructions say otherwise. But what if they come loose?

I need to have another look too. Mine were so close and overlapped making it impossible to install the pistons in the cylinders.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
AssHull

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 17:05:17 pm »

We're using standard Cima/Mahle rings. Judging by the tech article Peter posted, we've got waaayy too much gap and we need new oil rings. Where can we get just the rings??

The ring that has the reg & green ends is the expander ring if I'm not mistaken, and the ends overlap. Our problems lie with the "rail" rings on each side of the expander.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 17:28:49 pm »

What brand do you have?
According to the instructions, the ends of my oil rings are supposed to touch… one end is green plastic and the other is red. My intuition tells me I’d need to take these parts off, but the instructions say otherwise. But what if they come loose?

I need to have another look too. Mine were so close and overlapped making it impossible to install the pistons in the cylinders.

the expander waffle needs to meet ends but NOT overlap. The rails do not touch
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 22:46:32 pm »

ok, i will have to look into that. because by the looks of it they are too wide/long to not overlap.
i'll keep you posted

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: