The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:26:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350783 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  ’55 street/strip Cal-look beetle, rolling car - SOLD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ’55 street/strip Cal-look beetle, rolling car - SOLD  (Read 3255 times)
Jyrki

8.88 & 251

« on: July 13, 2009, 11:00:02 am »

Temporary insanity?

For sale: ’55 street/strip Cal-look beetle, rolling car

The ‘55 started as a low-mileage swedish rust-free car, receiving a pan-off resto and a quality Jungle Green paint job on bare metal in the mid-90s. Everything in the car was rebuilt back then. I have driven about 22.000km with it in total since rebuild, including a couple of hundred passes down the strip.
Cal-look winner in BugRun #20, featured in Ultra VW and Wheels (Sweden) in 2004 and “Best attitude” award in SCC 2008.
The car is in very good condition, but please note that the 10 years of driving and racing shows when looked closely - it wouldn’t score top points in a ‘DRKC event’, but it carries its few paint chips with pride. Also, the engine compartment has been slightly cut to fit the large valve covers of the current engine, and under the carpet there are a couple of drilled holes where there used to be nitrous bottle brackets and solenoids, oil-cooler brackets etc.
On the strip it launches pretty well; it ran low 1.5sec 60ft times first time out with the current suspension, and drives straight and safe 11s at almost 190km/h. NHRA legal to 11.00sec.
Please note also that even though I mostly describe the racing side of the car, it is still a real full steel/glass/interior street car, not a gutted race car with plates.

Included in the rolling car:
•   Top of the line dragrace T1 transmission, built by Sam at Rancho, German 3.88 r&p : FTC/Weddle 3.55-2.06-1.44-1.09 gears,  aluminum spool, synchros, gusseted case, Timken conversion, HD cover etc ($2700, 12 month old, less than 20 passes since new).
•   Karpiola  ‘unbreakable’ axles
•   Race-weight Erco wheels, 7” and 4.25”x15 (12 month old, 300km since new)
•   MH 235-60-15 dot slicks, MH 24x3.6x15 dot front runners (12 month old, less than 20 passes since new)
•   12mm press-in studs and open-end lug nuts
•   Koni adjustable drag-race prepped rear shocks (12 month old)
•   28mm SAW rear torsion bars
•   Adjustable rear spring plates
•   Custom narrowed rear with custom Karpiola 1½” narrowed axles (‘mini-tubbed’ 1½” each side - fits 10.5” tires under stock fenders with ½” space on both sides!!!)
•   Narrowed adjustable front beam (1" each side)
•   Line-lock
•   Porsche 914 seats (could use new upholstery)
•   TMI panels
•   GB 40% shifter
•   Simpson 5-point 3” harness for driver (valid thru 10/2012)
•   NHRA legal 5-point roll bar
•   Electrical main switch in rear apron
•   MSD Digital-6 ignition, MSD coil and MSD rpm-window switch (e.g. for nitrous)
•   G-tech tachometer w/ sequential shift light, 8-channel datalogging and 8Mb extra memory (http://www.gtechpro.com/egs.html)
•   Autometer Sport Comp 2 5/8” oil pressure, oil temperature and cylinder head temperature gauges

•   No engine, fuel cell, pump, lines or regulator, but everything else is there!

Pictures attached are from 2008 and 2009 seasons. I have lots more from the past 10 years.

Price 10.000eur firm. Install your engine and fuel system and go for a cruise or racing! Cheaper with standard transmission, wheels...
Located in Helsinki. Delivery to SCC 2009 can be arranged (add ferry + tow car cost for 1200km round trip, approximately 600-700eur?).

-    SOLD   -   SOLD   -   SOLD   -

Jyrki
+358-40-7432391
jyrki dot laune at gsg dot fi

ps. The reason for testing the water is that I have recently found myself focusing on my project ’53 beetle (pretty much a race car), the fact that even without the ’55 there would be enough street beetles in the family, and, last but not least, at the moment I have lost interest to race and develop the ‘55 further to squeeze tenths off the et’s.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 21:31:05 pm by Jyrki » Logged
67worshipper

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 13:10:37 pm »

i adore this car jyrki Wink when i saw the feature in ultra it set in well and truely.the well thumbed editions of mags in my collection this mag with this car in it gets pulled out as much as any.good luck with the sale  Cool

vw hot rod heaven
Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW)

Just wait, you'll see...

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 14:28:27 pm »

Definitely a very cool car! I'd hoped to see it going down the track in person at SCC this year, but am looking forward to how your '53 turns out as well.

Here's a photo of the interior, taken last Fall:

Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 22:52:40 pm »

hoho, please tell me the buyer was who I think it was :-D
If I can´t have this car myself, I don´t mind it beeing owned by someone who lives 15 minutes from me! :-)

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Endre D

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 16:06:41 pm »

hoho, please tell me the buyer was who I think it was :-D
If I can´t have this car myself, I don´t mind it beeing owned by someone who lives 15 minutes from me! :-)

Yep.  Grin

sonic

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 16:23:08 pm »

Yep ! Thanks Jyrki
Just the medicine I needed to get going .Place is full of engines but nothing realy hot to put it in ..
Wont be the fastest, but I am very pleased to finally try my luck !! .

Will get a good home and the best care in Stavanger ..
Regards
Erich   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 16:30:41 pm by sonic » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: